It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS social media app?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What is the consensus of my fellow ATSers, who would be interested in an app like Twitter or FB, but ATS?

Is this something the community would support?

Let me know your thoughts below please.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i would like an Android app, and i have seen many members also post they would like an app for ats.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You realize both Facebook and Twitter are massive applications, right? They hire hundreds if not thousands of people to actually write software and keep those applications running smoothly. ATS, on the other hand, has been all but abandoned. Bugs are rarely fixed. There has not been an overhaul of anything for almost a decade. The moderation system is, to use a kind word, uneven. Technically the drop outs and delays experienced here often make ATS unusable. I'm guessing the servers are under powered or the pipeline is too small to handle the traffic. So it's hanging by a thread already.

My guess is that it pays the bills well enough through ad revenue and attention to clicks and optimization in search engines, but that it is a near-run thing. It likely generates enough cash flow to justify cashing the checks, but it wouldn't take much to topple it. Any major unanticipated expense would do it. It almost died already when it was under a major DDoS attack, but Springer jumped in and threw some money at it and saved it. That's how he became on of the Three Amigos. He bought his way in. (Nothing wrong with that; just sayin')

So the idea of an app "like Twitter or FB" seems to me ill-thought out. Surely you don't really mean "like Twitter or FB," both of which required major investment to get off the ground. How would that be better than what is here now? And how would users "supporting" such a move work? If "supporting" means paying for it, that's not going to happen. From your description so far I'm not seeing it, but perhaps you have something different in mind.
edit on 1/23/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Any type of phone app that would allow for user-friendly posting/viewing of ATS would be awesome, something I have wondered about in the past as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I really appreciate your feedback and input.

However

You do realize I was here for all that right.
I'm also a former moderator and super moderator.

I'm completely aware of what ATS can handle.
Apps don't require an army to create or maintain any more. They are all but automated.

I'm not talking about a competitive app, just a small messenger style forum tracker, so we can read current posts and reply in a dedicated application.

Browser is fine, but it would be nice to have a feature like the old chat and all.

There's no profits being made by the ad revenue.
It keeps the server floating, that's it.

Springer is definitely our sugar daddy, and I love him for that. All those Way Above Guys & Gals invested a lot of time and some money into this.

ATS is going on 20 some years, it's far from dead.

It's actually come quite a long ways from it's origins.

To be honest, I've always said ATS would become a household word, and it nearly did for a minute.

Things spike in activity and slow down all the time, seen many times in my 16 years on ATS.

I am just looking for feedback and input of all kinds
Yours counts just as much as the next guys.

I'm not implying an app could happen. I'm curious about how our community would or would not like it.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

There used to be an ATS chatroom on here a long time ago. Don't know why they shut it down because it was a lot of fun, especially on nights when they had a live broadcast each week and on trivia night. You could also open private chats with individuals or groups of other members. I made a lot of good friends there.

Does anyone remember why they shut it down?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I do.

It was shut down because certain individuals abused the way it was used. As in, they weren't civil and or may have been graphic in nature.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It's a shame that a handful of idiots ruined it for everyone else. I do recall having to report someone (the only time I had or have ever done so) in chat for saying something so nasty and vile to me that it nearly brought me to tears- and that is saying a lot!

Now that I think about it maybe management had the right idea at the time!

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ADVISOR

I'm completely aware of what ATS can handle. Apps don't require an army to create or maintain any more. They are all but automated.

So that's why you specifically mentioned Twitter and Facebook? That's misleading. If you meant a "small automated app'" then say so. The more clear your question is the better answers you will get.

ATS is going on 20 some years, it's far from dead. It's actually come quite a long ways from it's origins.

It has some serious slow down problems. Yes, it has changed, but the point is that it has not changed for quite awhile now. It is very much on autopilot. The slow down problems are serious. Ignore them at the peril of ATS. That you have seen them over time simply illustrates the point.

To be honest, I've always said ATS would become a household word, and it nearly did for a minute.

Only in its own mind. The rest of the world tends to call ATS "a cranky conspiracy site." (A direct quote.) It gets referenced about once a year or so, not exactly a stellar record. ATS has changed, for sure. It was once much more vital with a lot more going on. There were projects of all sorts, regular programming and events, AMAs, etc. Now it's just another forum. I don't see that there is any forward energy to add features or even fix the issues that are current.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Well excuse me, I wasn't aware you would assume the most complicated demanding variation of a simple chat and messenger based app.

As said like those apps, not identical platforms.
I mentioned them because those are apps people use and recognize as social apps.

Like I said, I'm not proposing that ATS is or would make an app, I just wanted to see who was interested in the idea, or not.

Clearly you must not.

It isn't a debating topic, it is just a question.

Thanks for your input none the less, and I agree with you that a twin of FB or Twitter would be a large amount of work.

But, that's a generalized thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

ATS social media app?

Not for me thanks. It's beginning to resemble the old chat option and As ATS drifts further to the near exclusive Right Wing circle jerkers site; I find ATS less interesting than

it once was. The music threads are still fantastic.
edit on 23-1-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ADVISOR

What is the consensus of my fellow ATSers, who would be interested in an app like Twitter or FB, but ATS?

Is this something the community would support?

Let me know your thoughts below please.

Yes please, I'm surprised there isn't one yet, even the Fetish Social Media site I frequent has one...

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
All I want to be able to do is be able to create an account without also having to link it to a gmail or social media account.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I would love to see a return of people thinking outside the box, to much partisan bickering, then maybe I would be interested in this idea

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I agree with everything you just said there....

we don't pay, so we cant expect ATS to have a team of support staff to fix everything, every day!

the site works fine for me day in day out.. sure, a page might take 10 seconds to load now and then but.. its the internet.. and its FREE!

With the amount of people from different walks of life we have on this board, im surprised an App Engineer hasnt taken it upon himself to design something...

anyone out there skilled in app design wanna take a shot?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I actually thought about taking up node.js before and building some apps for my favorite podcasters and forums but I've been to busy to do it

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I actually thought about taking up node.js before and building some apps for my favorite podcasters and forums but I've been to busy to do it

I downloaded (torrented) a few training courses on IOS and Android app dev...

they go for about 10hrs... i might give it a go on the weekend

work out how to syphon stars and flags from all you other posters onto my profile while im at it..
mwahahhaha

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Not me, but I don't do social media so I don't count I suppose.

(post by MayaGreen removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

<<   2 >>

join