It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In search of your wisdom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I was on route to finish my PhD on 2015, got sick on a different country to my own and decided to check myself out of the hospital against medical recommendation. This derailed my ability to finish on time and haven't been able to present my dissertation as I am broke.

Ever since, I was able to get a job once in 2017, i had to relocate to another place on my own money, the company was pretty much a scam and i got out of job the next month.

Last year I changed my mindset and went for any job locally, got a temporal job at a gas station. It was sweet, i close the place at midnight and could walk some 5km to get home. The pay was not enough to finish the PhD and lost the job on nov 30.

I apply for jobs all over eu, jobs that only require a master, technician jobs, temporal graveyard shift that nobody wants to do, maternity covers, nothing. Earlier this month I applied on another gas station in my town and got rejectedd 15 minutes after sending my application.

I'm on shambles, February will be the first month i won't be able to pay my obligations. After all this time I lost all the little hope I had to finish the PhD (I still have a chance to do it until 2020) and the sentiment that I am unhireable has burrowed deep into my soul. I lost all hope and probably am suicidal now.

I see some folks here are successful and dunno why I could not, my masters gpa was 3.8ish so I used to think I was acceptable, but obviously im just a #ing failure.

So elder wise ones that made it in life, am I lost or could you give me some piece of wisdom to climb my sorry ass from this hole?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Ever consider applying at senior care homes?

They always need help...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Cannot just do it here, since 2016 you need a certification to do it and its about half a year to get it, have been looking for unskilled jobs locally or jobs related to my profession anywhere, if i had no hope of getting a job i probably could have got the certification by now... damn hope man, should have ditched it years ago

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

yeah you do need certification, but its not a long program...

I've known doctors and nurses from other countries that get that certificate while they're waiting on their registration to come through...

Might be worth your while... make good money doing a very honourable job while you get on your feet... And it will give you time to get back to what you really want to do... You might even continue with it

I work with lawyers, nurses, and doctors that have remained in the field afterwords

might restore a bit of your hope too

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

What's your PhD in?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
learn2program

Computer Coding Courses For Men

What a great title, ladies can use it too, even otherkin, and xyz.

CodeAcademy

w3schools

freecodecamp

Code Wars
edit on 22-1-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I was busy with my PhD, but now they said it took too long!

My supervisor is with me though, and a lot happened in those ten years.

The ball is in their court, and it can take until April until anybody gets round to me again.

Otherwise I'm sitting here with a three-quarter thesis on HIV and autobiography in SA.

link   
a reply to: loam

Chemistry, polymeric materials in concrete. Coatings and adhesives research would be the jobs I should be doing.

link   

originally posted by: loam

What's your PhD in?

PhD, hell! What's your masters in? I'd think with a bachelor's and a master's you could find something suitable...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

What country are you in?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Spain

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Many people go through periods in their life which seem unbearable. But in the end most make it through being stronger than ever before. So you need to look at which jobs are available and make yourself the ideal candidate for those jobs,

That doesn't mean you tell them how well educated you are. I remember a person that had worked for NASA applying for a junior IT position. That was the first application they threw in the bin. They didn't want somebody that was looking for a temporary stepping stone until they found a better job. They wanted someone that looked like they would stay in the position.

So sometimes you need to undersell yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Brutal Master level Chemistry and they wont let you work a job?

you should move to USA and work in the weed industry.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You sound way too smart to be in this predicament. First off, quit taking the low hanging jobs. You do have a good education; you need to shoot for the better jobs.

I understand you do seem to enjoy low skilled jobs like the gas station however if your resume just shows a string of low paying part time jobs, that is probably why you are having a hard time being hired.

On one hand you want a good job but your experience in short time low paying jobs shows a lack of motivation.

Why do you suppose you choose those low skilled jobs? And do you suppose you were let go?

Maybe think about a life coach or therapist to see why this is happening.

Certainly you have intelligence and maybe now motivation. Believe in yourself and what you are capable of bringing to a company.

edit on 22-1-2019 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Ah. That's less than ideal. In the US, you'd have much better prospects with that background.

But regardless, in the end, finding work in your field is a numbers game. You need to treat that like a job all by itself. Stay positive and try not to get discouraged. Keep trying.... every day.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

It feels they either hire bachelors or lower technical degrees for entry level positions or PhDs with 5+ year experience for anything else... too many people for too little places.

That's the conclusion I got after all this time, because if its not it then I'm just dog#.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Don't get me wrong i hated every second of working in the equivalent of a seven 11, i do enjoyed being able to pay the bills. I am looking for them because locally there is nothing else for me, I apply to every job related to my field i see in every EU country.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm gonna say someting ludicrously plain and simple, but it is what i feel: If your life is happy, it matters not much what career you have, or have not. Strive to find something, i think, that you can do to earn money for necessities but make sure it makes you happy, the circumstances in which you live while doing your job. Whenever you can, save a bit towards getting to what you Really want to do. BUT you have to be happy first, where ever you are at,in life. I am so sorry to read that you are starting to feel suicidal.You are NOT a failure, you are NOT. You are just at a point in your life where you are in a bit of a spot about future career directions,and of course some financial difficulties. Do you have family you can stay with for a while? I hate that i cannot help you in a practical way right here and right now. Please please hang in there!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Well, it does appear that you are more than credentialed, educationaly speaking.

I was an Ops Manager for a fortune 300 company. I interviewed over 250 people a year in that position. I managed 40 employees including: supervisors, seniors, job coordinators, bid writers and more. I’d love to tell you that we don’t read a book by its cover. But that would be a lie.

First, we have to determine what these ‘covers’ are.

1. A cover letter to your resume. Do you provide one of these? It should be tailored to the company and job description you are applying for. Take some time on it. It shows that you are detailed and that you care.

2. Your resume. How does it look? Format, job experiences, applicable info for the job. When I search for a job, I usually have at least 3 different resumes to tailor to the field that I’m applying for. I shouldn’t say this but — embellishing does not hurt here — as long as it’s unverifiable.

3. Your appearance and demeanor when you do the interview. Are you well groomed? Do you purvey confidence? Or do the insecurities you have outlined here — come out in the interview process? This is VERY important.

Managers look at hiring someone like it’s a marriage. It’s very easy to hire a person — but incredibly difficult to fire them. So you need to make sure you imbue confidence in yourself to adequately perform the job. They also want to make sure that you don’t show signs of being: a flake, irresponsible, unreliable, a problem (drama) starter, indifference, a liar, you get the idea...

So what does your cover look like?

I feel for you and hope this info helps!
edit on 22-1-2019 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Jasona

Thanks for your words, I don't really have anyone to fallback, my folks live in Venezuela and they are not in a better position unfortunately, I don't even seek advise from them because I prefer they are oblivious and not fully aware of the #hole I'm in, what good would it do for them to know if they cannot help me, I would just harm them.

<<   2 >>

join