It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snap UK General Election Feb 28th ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   
With government deadlocked and Parliamentary plots to bring down Brexit afoot it''s being reported that Theresa May is preparing to call a snap General Election with the date of Feb 28th being mentioned.
There are a couple of sources claiming that 9 government ministers 3 of whom are in the cabinet have made it known Mrs May will put the matter to the people in a General Election next month.

One minister, who holds a marginal seat in the south, has already designed and written their election address, as has another with a safe seat in the south east; one north-east association has likewise been instructed to provide election material. All have been asked to expedite re-adoption procedures. (Under Tory party rules, sitting MPs face a vote of their local executive if they wish to continue on as the party's candidate.)

One association chair was told that the only way to break the deadlock was an election, while another has been informed that even should the withdrawal agreement pass, it will not be done so in a way that retains the support of the DUP, without which the Conservative Party cannot continue to govern
www.newstatesman.com...

Mrs May has publicly said there would be no General Election but she said that last time she called a surprise election , looking at the mess that exists at the moment I can see why the Nuclear option could be the only way forward , without a majority and having to rely on and keep happy the DUP no progress can be made , perhaps a new Election is the only way forward.

When or if it happens I will be voting Tory , it goes against the grain but I see no other choice if we are to keep the Brexit dream alive .... how about you , how will / would you vote in a new General Election ?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If another general election is called I foresee a similar result as so little has changed. Possibly the Tories will lose a seat or two which means a totally hung pariliament. My favourite expression right now is more of the same only brings more of the same.

The DUP have far too much power. A tiny minority is being given a huge say and the Tories are practically being blackmailed at worst and bribed at best by these lot.

I would point anyone who wonders why there is such a mess in British politics right now at such a crucial juncture to the DUP. They'll have us back to "The Troubles" if they are not kept in check and a messy Brexit happens. "Good Friday" will be left in tatters.

Yes, they are the reason why. They have to much pulling power with this current government. I think they are politically right wing extreme in comparison to the usual Right Wing order.

I don't want Brexit. It will bring chaos and poverty to the UK. It will let China and the U.S in. We will end up as just another state in heavy debt to China and U.S. Both will take utter advanatage of the UK. There is never any kindness in trade. The bigger economies will always call the shots with the the smaller economies. It is natural law. I believe Scotland will want independence and they will eventually stay in the EU. Britain will go to the dogs.

Luckily my dad is German so I may be able to claim Deutsch citizenship. That is how strongly I feel about it. I will make every effort to retain my EU citizenship. Losing it will be a huge loss of rights and freedom across the whole of the EU. I will be losing so many rights in 27 states, confined to dodgy little Britain like a prisoner.

It is a crime like something Hitler would have done to take away citizenship against our will. I hope you guys will be happy with the monster you have made. Long term I think that will not be the case and just another "I told you so".

^I am very fond and supportive of the U.S, but they will take advantage. I want the EU to remain the most powerful political and economic block in the world instead of slipping to fourth place as Europe if the EU breaks up, behind the U.S, China and Russia. What a silly thing to do if that happened and a huge gnawing off of one's own limb. I wish this Brexit was just a "Lost Weekend", but I fear it will become a demoting career move.

edit on 19-1-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

Talk about Project Fear , o ye of little faith !?

Gortex there's nothing of substance in the linked quote . We probably should expect 'The New Statesman' to be fully pro - EU and they'll be trying to wreck the idea of a no deal Brexit , because it's the best option by far.

All May has to do run the clock down

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I’ll be voting the monster raving looney party if there still going. Might as well they couldn’t do a worse job than the current lot.

I can’t stand this idea that I have to vote for a party I despise because there is no alternative. Seriously? Vote for the same party already in power that can’t see through Brexit because we need them to guide us through Brexit? I really don’t get your logic there gortex.

There is an alternative, we could go to Westminster and tear the whole #ing lot down and install a demarchy.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Now what would we be voting for?.

A little over TEN Years ago we seldom saw homeless people in most of the UK, there were of course a growing problem of homeless on the streets of the capital but no where near as bad as we have today.

Most homeless are NOT foreigners they are our own kid's kicked out by a system of corrupt governance.

They want to keep public housing out of the hand's of the poor for one reason and one reason only.
PROPERTY PRICES - keep them up and THEY whom have invested so much in property stay wealthy.
But give decent housing to the poor and the slightly better off will also apply for them rather than pay the astronomical price of housing which is so far out of most people's reach today.

Legal Aid a system of government funding intended to make the law and legal representation accessible to the general public which paid for that representation out of the public purse was flawed and needed an overhaul but one has to recognize that we never had an overhaul of the legal aid system and instead the Tory led government gave us an almost entire abolition of the legal aid system - and of course they had to since what they planned to do to the majority of people below the bread line whom otherwise could have had them up in court was already in the work's so getting the legal aid and those whom would have represented the poor out of the way was all part of there plan.

The NHS, the Tory's are claiming they have done wonders for it, why are there still so many people needing places and why under the Tory's did so many Accident and Emergency wing's close with the loss of God know's how many lives.

Cheap Labour, how can you afford to live when you are eating hand to mouth and denied a decent wage or a secure job even though the government classes you as fully employed when in fact you barely have any work at all sometime's, Zero Hours Contract's, if the Torys' were a party of the people of this nation they would abolished zero hours contract's and limited overtime (to only a certain number of hours per year) so as to free up that overtime work to create more job's instead of having people do a job and a half with decent legislation.

Now the more scrupulous would point out that I am only partially correct as NEW LABOUR were equally guilty and they would greatly be correct but in fact New Labour were no were near as bad as the Tory led Condemn's or the Tory's themselves.

Corbyn's rise to power is because he REPRESENTS the original core values of LABOUR which in fact most NEW LABOUR voters were voting for without realizing how far there party had drifted from it's core values, this had lead to many Labour voters losing heart entirely in the election process as either way they turned they ended up with a Tory government.

Corbyn has his flaw's but he can not cut our defense spending unilaterally it would require an act of parliament and I feel he will end up making a bloody good prime minister even if I think Labour need's to clean house somewhat and remove the last of both the Tory Light AND the dreaded Militant scum bag's.

Corbyn's weakness and his strength is the fact he is Scrupulously honest and he is also a man of his word.

May has lied to parliament, held parliament in contempt and lied to the British public, as the current leader of the US pointed out her deal with the EU was a good deal FOR EUROPE meaning we were being screwed over and he would NEVER have made such a deal with them, the guy is a business man so give him some credit he knows what he is talking about there.

Either way we need to get the hooray harry's out once and for all, if they were a decent conservative government rather than a TORY led government I would not mind them BUT A decent CONSERVATIVE government would never have done the thing's Cameron or his former cabinet minister MAY have done to our people now would they.

The last Decent conservative government and they made there mistake selling off the rail network was actually John Major's government and you know why - HE knew what it was like to have nothing in the cupboards having grown up on a council estate rather than sharing the idiot detachment and disdain of the Eton crowd.

A story from here.

Now please take into account this is not a racist post it is an observation of what is happening and based on a real case.
A young woman with an autistic child of three that need's a ground floor accommodation is given a maisonette with no garden and window's that the child could fall out of as well as having to work so she is tired and worn out BUT she is English so the council treat's her like Scum.
Same workplace a Polish girl with a new born is given at exactly the same time, same council, same housing estate a three bedroom house with a large garden as if she is somehow more desirably than our own national?.

This same story is repeated over and over and over again, homeless British kid's on the streets and foreigners being given there housing for whom it was never intended, do people forget the men whom fought for this, the men whom died for this and now they give it all back to the Tory's.

edit on 19-1-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

All that you said was also claimed during the original referendum and still the majority voted to leave. I liked the way you brought Hitler into it though, nice sprinkling of fear there, you do realise he dreamed of united Europe too though right?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

BUT A decent CONSERVATIVE government would never have done the thing's Cameron or his former cabinet minister MAY have done to our people now would they.

You mean like purge the pedos from the state and give us the chance to get rid of the EPP (the rulers of Europe) from the country ?

Think big ... not small .

Corbyn has said he'll make a second referendum - in which he is wishing to ignore those all important 'people' and their legitimate decision . If he is so beholden to EPP power and the new partisan EU , that makes him a Euro-Tory . Someone we shouldnt trust or vote for , ever again .

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well, it's one way to clear the air. But it won't sort Brexit.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
ETA Corbyn says he won't come to cross party talks until no deal is taken off the table : that says it all , he's a Europhile laying in a bed made of Eurocracy .

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I still don't see how that would work, since Brexit is not a straight party issue. She could win a majority for normal government purposes without gaining a majority for her preferred settlement. The issue is not being taken to the people unless the candidates are declaring themselves on the issue and being elected on that basis.
The situation really calls for a "national" or coalition government, a cross-party alliance for one way of tackling the problem, with or without a previous election. In fact this is the kind of once-in-a-blue-moon crisis where the Queen would be justified in using her constitutional rights and promoting one, behind the scenes.
Otherwise, this begins to look like a repeat of Heath's mistake in 1974, with his "Who governs Britain?" election.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
ETA Corbyn says he won't come to cross party talks until no deal is taken off the table : that says it all , he's a Europhile laying in a bed made of Eurocracy .

Corby is just playing crass politics. He's playing with the countries future.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Vote for the same party already in power that can’t see through Brexit because we need them to guide us through Brexit? I really don’t get your logic there gortex.

The Tory party are the only one's who offer a proper Brexit and as I'm for Brexit they are the only option.
Labour want to either stop Brexit or tie us up in a Customs Union with the EU which will mean we can't make our own trade deals and will be stuck run by Europe with no say in the direction of Europe.

The thought of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary sends chills down my spine and Corbyn in the big chair has an equal effect.

The Tory party gave birth to Brexit they should see the process through.
edit on 19-1-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The idea is simple , drop the tail that's wagging the dog ... the DUP.

May needs a Tory majority and a general election is the only way to get it , Labour are an unattractive prospect so rather than have them call confidence votes at every turn she must hit the nail on the head and seek her own mandate to get a Brexit deal done , any Brexiteer will have to vote Tory for there to be any chance of a meaningful Brexit.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

The intervention by Speaker Bercow last week was an attempt to make sure that doesn't happen , a dirty deed done at the expense of his Peerage if rumours are to be believed.
edit on 19-1-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Maybe we should make Corbyn say again - why was he so against May's soft Brexit deal if he won't have no deal on the table ?

It's a trend these days happens all the time where people poo-poo things but add no justification whatsoever .

Listened for his justifications for rejecting May's deal that even the EU were ok with during the debate before the vote on the deal - he had nothing .

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I can only rely on that most toxic of substances, hope.

I hope those who have routinely voted Tory despite being victims of that unscrupulous set of savages, vote a different way this time around. I can only hope that those who have been accessed by far too much of the garbage, the lies and slanders printed in the Daily Mail and its ilk, suddenly shake off the malware they have been infected by, long enough to make sensible, policy led decisions at the ballot box.

But hope is, as I have mentioned toxic, and relying on it entirely merely sets one up to fail. All I can do besides hope is do what I can do for a good result at the ballot box, and leave the rest to my countrymen. However, having repeatedly relied upon them to do the right thing, I have only been able to rely on them to back stab themselves and indeed this nation, repeatedly over the years. Their tendency to accept lies while the evidence of those lies passes before their gaze, has never lessened overmuch locally speaking, and the area I am in has been predominantly controlled by the morally degenerate Conservative scum for decades.

But toxic though it may be, hope is all that remains. What a terrible circumstance to find oneself in.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Sorry but Corbyn is most definitely not an honest man: Remember when he pretended their were no spare seats on the train then when the cctv was released and showed their were many seats and then he changed his story and claimed he wanted a seat next to his wife? Or how about when he called May a "stupid woman" but then when people got word and started to show the clip all over the place he came before Parliament and pretended he said "stupid people" now however you feel about May (and I could go deep into how much I dislike the woman) in parliament he is supposed to hold up certain standards but then to LIE to parliament and pretend he didn't say it is clearly not an honest man. (Yes even Labour heard him say it watch the clip and look at the faces just in frame next to him - I don't know how to link videos but you can find it on youtube).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Tory voter by far and think Cameron will be remembered as the Prime Minister who fled and May will be one of the worst in history, who is visibly looking more feeble by the day. But Corbyn is not an honest man. He is only an honest man when labour supporters deny the things he has said and done. Remember he has said pleasing things about terror groups, he has been an arch anti-EU politician his entire life until he became leader, at which point he refuses to say how he truly feels even during the referendum build up he would make very few appearances.

So please stop with this Corbyn is an honest man. He isn't. You can call him anything else you want but an honest man, he ain't. (with respect).

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

If this turns out to be true and she calls an election then I will vote for the party that gives me Brexit and helps deal with the issues of homelessness (I personally believe foreign aid needs to be redone we need to start having a GDP level that we stop giving aid to and especially countries who have their own space program), the issues we have with the NHS, far to many people being given jobs that they don't need, we need to stop paying over 8 quid for a dosage of pills that you can buy over the counter for under 2 quid.

I voted Brexit because I want to leave the EU. I fear where it is going and I fear what it is slowly forming into, yes I am saying that it is starting to mutate into a dictatorship lite system, with talks of an EU army, EU central bank, an EU wife foreign policy, states being "punished" for not doing as they are told, countries having to put forward their budgets and can have said budgets knocked back and told to try again. I fear that more and more laws are being made by Brussels and the elite with no ability to remove them through votes. A free UK will do far greater on the world stage if May would stop selling us short. The main problem with how we're dealing with negotiations is wrong, May went in hoping to keep us as close to the EU as possible which is a mistake because they knew she was a remainer so why would they bother to offer a real deal.

But I'll say this about the deal, if she was to remove the backstop or at the very least either put in a legal LEGAL statement in writing saying that we could either leave if we choose to or at the very least put a time limit on the backstop then I'd say it's the best they're willing to give and be done with it but with more and more reports coming out that the EU has been boasting about how well they've sunked us (including the right to control our taxes to stop us becoming a tax haven) to other EU member states and don't me started on Spain demanding that trade negotiations must include them regaining control of Gibraltar and the limp wristed French Macron telling other EU states that he will make sure they still get the same access to our waters tells me that this is a bad deal. She will sell us out and Labour will do the same only they will keep us in completely.

The EU is something that our fathers, brothers etc. fought to stop becoming a reality. It would've been something that Hitler would've brought through with Germany being at the head of the table. Why people have so little faith in the UK is beyond me. Remember we do more trade with the rest of the world combined than the EU. The EU sells us far more than we sell them. America wants to do a free trade deal, China wants to do a free trade deal, the commonwealth could become a better place between our nations. The world is far bigger than the EU and people need to open their eyes to it.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The idea is simple , drop the tail that's wagging the dog ... the DUP.

INMO That is the only reason T.May's terrible 'deal' was never implemented.

Without the DUP's heels not firmly been dug in we will get the softest of Brexits

ending out ...... and being a *taker* and not a *maker*

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

The intervention by Speaker Bercow last week was an attempt to make sure that doesn't happen , a dirty deed done at the expense of his Peerage if rumours are to be believed.

Good point : the remainers have seen no deal before March29th leave date as a completely viable strategy that's likely to be used and they wish to counter it . Nevermind any peerage he shall be assigned the status of traitor :

traitor
/ˈtreɪtə/
noun
a person who betrays someone or something, such as a friend, cause, or principle.

Corbyn Bercow and others wish to disable and render obsolete Britain's negotiation strategy . They would like to remove the Aces from our hand of cards

<<   2 >>

join