It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethics of Disney

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Bluntone22

I frankly think they should enforce their copyrights if some nudnik is violating them, I would.

If they had done it from day one I would agree.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

a reply to: coomba98

The music in question and the alleged email.

Sorry were replying in real time.

The music in question is in the Vader fan film if you saw it.

The alleged email is in the OP video's.

If not you can google it or let me know and ill search it as it shouldnt take long.

The terms were:
1. No Crowd Funding;
2. No making money from said fan film you make.

Terms were met.... yet the parent company decided to screw him when they saw how popular it was, then stole the film and made money out of it... like $80k in under two days.

Lucas Films then complains due to the massive backlash to save face on future profits.... parent company folds in light of potential loss of profits and gives film back to the owner who on the condition he make no profits from it.

How is this not criminal???

How is this not a quick cash grab to make up for the losses of The Last Jedi and Solo??? Where their now making up for the loss on the new Star Wars theme park!!!

How is this not criminal???

Coomba98
[p.s. off to bed reply tomorrow]
edit on 17-1-2019 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Copyright law only demands one seek approval from the original creator, author, composer to use the work and post proper credit to it's origins.

*Did you know? I can make my own Star Wars movie, use a Van Halen song...whatever...in something original I create..even using the original movie, images and songs...and secure a copyright for me alone...of that work?

One can copyright a performance or adaptation of someone's else's work...and you'd own that performance. But! Not copyrighted parts...you put within...without permission.

Without usage permission from the owners/creators of the parts you used...you can't sell or in some cases display it anywhere...but can own that creation as yours....(like a local band playing a concert of famous cover songs).

Musical and Literary Copyright holder
International Trademark Co-owner

edit on 17-1-2019 by mysterioustranger because: Oops

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I listened to the film, you can definitely hear samples of John William's work. I cannot find the mail, where is it specifically? Time stamp and video.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

How are they suppose to know there was going to be a copyright violation?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Copyright law only demands one seek approval from the original creator, author, composer to use the work and post proper credit to it's origins.

*Did you know? I can make my own Star Wars movie, use a Van Halen song...whatever...in something original I create..even using the original movie, images and songs...and secure a copyright for me alone...of that work?

One can copyright a performance or adaptation of someone's else's work...and you'd own that performance. But!

Without usage permission from the owners/creators of the parts you used...you can't sell or in some cases display it anywhere...but can own that creation as yours....

Copyright usually comes into play when the person makes money off someones work. When said person has the go ahead from the IP owners then all is ok.

If I own Star Wars and this came to me and I said yeah ok so long as you dont make money out of it then all is ok.

Then I see how popular this product is based on my IP I get greedy and steal it and make money of someone elses work.

Criminal!

Nuff said.

Coomba98

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

How are they suppose to know there was going to be a copyright violation?

Which email you after? Initial or response?

Coomba98

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The law is pretty clear on this.

Disney is within their right to control their intellectual property.

We may not agree with Disney's methods. But it's their property, they make the rules.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Even if they give terms and then go back on them???

Aka a contract.

Is this lawful?

Coomba98
edit on 17-1-2019 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I think the last movie shows what fans think of Disney's intellectual property.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: coomba98
Which email you after? Initial or response?

Coomba98

Initial. But it's kind of irrelevant since the composer lifted parts of the original soundtrack which you can clearly discern.

edit on 17-1-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

From the article, which is light on information says, the following was the response from disney.

1. He could not crowdfund.
2. He could not profit from the film.

No mention of a contract.

The crux here is that he sampled the Imperial March. Which Youtubes algorithms caught and turned over the monetization over to disney.

If he doesn't want Disney to make any money from his work. He needs to take down the video. Remove the sample then repost the work.

Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

It's still a copyright infringement and it's not really relevant what Lucas used to do, he doesn't own the rights.

George Lucas owns the mechanical copyright and always will. John Williams, on the music.

edit on 17/1/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

But Disney owns the license, so they can enforce copyright violations.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Since Fan made films started there has always been a fine line, fans wanted to be like there movie icons on screen or make fan films of their favourite characters so the movie industry decided that as long as no money was made it was ok. There are fan made Star Wars and Trek movies galore on the net, the industry allows it.

If you had to spend millions buying a script or the rights to a character before even paying for a movie to be made would you want someone making money of the back of your investment?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it funny how many people are defending mega corporation big profit Disney?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

One can copyright a performance or adaptation of someone's else's work...and you'd own that performance. But!

Without usage permission from the owners/creators of the parts you used...you can't sell or in some cases display it anywhere...but can own that creation as yours....

Copyright usually comes into play when the person makes money off someones work. When said person has the go ahead from the IP owners then all is ok.

If I own Star Wars and this came to me and I said yeah ok so long as you dont make money out of it then all is ok.

Then I see how popular this product is based on my IP I get greedy and steal it and make money of someone elses work.

Criminal!

Nuff said.

Coomba98

Copyright, in essence, provides the holder the RIGHT to control the COPYING and distribution of their works. Money is irrelevant in Copyright Law. The big exceptions are the creation of parody (i.e. Weird Al) and use of small portions for discussion or other similar purposes. In those cases, no copyright permissions are needed.

However, if you create a work that is based upon a Copyright piece, and it is clearly so close to the original that any reasonable person could link the two easily, then it become a candidate for Copyright infringement. The Vanilla Ice vs Queen/David Bowie fiasco is one of those examples.

Since he does not own the Copyright to the musical score, even if he hired a 3rd party composer to create an original work, if it had pieces that clearly are too similar to the original Copyright piece, then it is a candidate as well. He could have fought it in court, and likely lost and was out even more $$$$ than he was already.

If he wants to play with others Copyrights, he should do it through a legal service or lawyer, get a written contract on the details outlining the scope of his usage. Otherwise, you risk exactly what happened. Ignorance of the law (with the exception of a very few high level political figures) is not acceptable in court.

*Posted by a holder of multiple Copyrights and Patents

edit on 1/17/2019 by Krakatoa because: added additional thoughts

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Does anyone else find it funny how many people are defending mega corporation big profit Disney?

Don't get me wrong I think it's entirely detrimental and goes completely against the way humans naturally create things. Humans have always built and created from things that came before and the current patent and copyright laws have stifled innovation for nearly a hundred years.

But...I guess that's the law right?
edit on 17/1/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I dont disagree that Disney has the legal right to do this. My biggest problem is that this particular franchise has been very generous with people using their products in creative ways.
And now this behavior follows the fan backlash from the last several movies.

Bad for business

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Criminal!

Nuff said.

Coomba98

I wasnt even talking about granting usage...which I do myself sometimes.

To clarify: One can create a work from "borrowed" snippets even whole....and you can copyright it.

That does not imply that the images, sound whatever-you had permission to use from any # of entities: copyright owner, writer-co-writer, publisher-distributor.

I can make any video for example of my own graphics, titles, scripting using any footage, live or otherwise of anyone. But? Do I own the content it was created from? No.

Still...that video is your copyrighted (should you do so) creation....from another's content...with or without credited permission. Attorneys...when they can....love "Cease and Desist" letters...but love royalities too
edit on 17-1-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join