It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely canNOT reset PC or replace my OS. PLEASE HELP.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Folks giving all kinda advice , yet breaking the first rule of Problem Determination
What the HADES is the error message ?

Sorry for being late , even I have to sleep every now and then.

PC running slow - describe slow
Low disk space to the point Windows cannot set up a swap file ?
1 Tb is not very much storage space nowadays.

As a preliminary (assumption) I say that may be the case OR a failing drive with too many bad blocks (sectors)

Highly trained professional
Please dont try this at home...

edit on 1/8/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/8/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: XxKonspiracyxX

Install ccleaner and run it in safe mode. I would disconnect from wifi while ccleaner checks it..ccleaner is free. You need to list error codes please.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

did you try this method to reset your pc?

www.laptopmag.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
LOL. Thanks guys. I'm done for the day but I'll keep you updated & ask annoying questions later ^^

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The responses lol

First things first.

Open File Explorer
Left Click on This PC
Right click on your C: choose properties
Right click Disk Cleanup
Right Click Clean Up System Files
Check all that stuff

Then Ok to trash it.

Next, run cmd as admin
sfc /scannow

Grab coffee

Restart the computer

Run CCleaner ( leave the registry alone )
It should find minimal stuff

Run MalwareBytes, Search and Destroy, Spybot

More Coffee

Check event viewer
Look under Windows Logs > System Logs
Right hand side choose Filter Current Log > Check critical and error ( this will tell you if you’re having hardware failures usually get Disk and HAL errors )

Now download MemTest86 V4.3.7 (OLD RELEASE) to a cd or usb to run mem diags.

That should give you a few hours work

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Come on guys, never give tech advice without knowing the error code first. Not doing so can accomplish nothing, or even make s# worse.

What's the error code associated here, OP? Make it spit it out at you again, whatever process it took to get it the first time, do it again. WRITE IT DOWN, and post it, please. It could be something as simple as a missing or corrupted file error code indicting you need to run the fix for it via Command Prompt.

It also could be a code relating to failing hardware or firmware, too. There's also fixes & work-arounds for those, but we NEED to know what the code is to begin with before anyone can actually help you.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

OK so,

You turn your laptop on, it gets into windows ok? (what version of windows)
Do you know if your HDD space is running out?
When your computer is turned on and at the main screen (assuming windows) if you go to task manager and look at the processes tab, is there anything sitting on the CPU column at 100%? or anything higher than say, 30?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Probably just a dying mech hdd.
It would be nice if we could see the error messages, but maybe check hdd health with hd sentinel.
Just a thought.

Also, I know they’re not cheap but get a ssd.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

If all is still not working, go to amazon and buy 'hard drive disk eraser' bear in mind though this will totally clean your disk so you will also have to buy windows 7 and then upgrade to 10 unless you already have win 10.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I’ve had this happen.

Download puppy Linux onto cdrom and run it right off the cdrom. Or you can use it off usb or download Linux mint to usb - if you have cdrom I suggest that method as some rare older computers (mine was one) would not allow usb boot.

It will load completely in ram. Then use it to completely reformat your hard drive.

Now reinstall windows as normal.

If this doesn’t work your hard drive is corrupt and you need to replace it.

edit on 9-1-2019 by pianopraze because: Typo

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Before trying any further software remedies, do a bit of housekeeping.

Download/transfer everything you want saved onto mass storage device of choice.

Delete all copied/transferred files from hd/onboard storage

Remove all peripherals, disconnect from power supply and turn the machine off.

Turn machine over, vacuum cooler grill and if accessible, battery area.

Wrap machine in plastic and place in freezer overnight.

Not sure how this works (and it doesn't always) but giving the machine the cold treatment can resuscitate it from slug mode to something more workable.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

nay, nay and thrice nay to sticking it in the freezer as it warms up condensation will possibly form and cause liquid damage that can be a royal pain in the rear to fix.

Easiest way to get up and running reasonably quickly is to get the following

1. Screwdriver set with magnetic ends
2. 8GB usb drive
3. 120/240GB solid state drive depending on size of wallet
4. External USB hard drive caddy

So lets begin

1. Use the media creation tool from MS webby to slap a copy of win10 onto the 8GB USB and make sure it works by hitting the right keys at boot up to get the install media popping up.

2. Switch off and remove battery and the power cable along with anything else attached.

3. Unscrew the bottom drive bay, chech youtube for detailed teardown guides and then undo any screws securing the cage to the case and GENTLY prise the drive out.

4. Remove drive from cage (normally 4 screws) and put drive somewhere safe and pop reverse the procedure with the new SSD in the drive cage.

5. pop back in the battery and power cable and the USB drive and power on and select the USB drive to install and slap on a fresh install onto the SSD

6. Pop the old drive into the USB caddy and copy over what data you need and put the caddy away in a draw

7. Install apps etc and enjoy

The reason I said to use another drive is that it'll speed up the machine and the stuff on the caddy will be there should you suddenly need something you didn't think of before saving a very long and loud shouting of the F-word.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

There could be so many things that could be going wrong.

Firstly, static electricity destroys hardware and mains power can kill you. Always unplug the power cord/s. Switching off isn't good enough. If it's a laptop with a removable battery, remove it, too.If you open things up, put your hand on a metallic casing part for at least three seconds before touching any circuitry or component. Obsessively re-ground yourself every time, before you touch sensitive bits.

It could be failing RAM and Windows has switched off a bank of it because it is faulty. Use Task Manger to see how much physical RAM you are running on.

It could be that your PC fan is stalled or the heatsink is full of gunge. This causes an overheat and throttling of CPU.

Firstly, de-static a brush (a soft, long bristle, paint brush) by flipping the bristles past your fingers while you are grounded. Gently brush and/or vacuum the dust away but don't let the vacuum spin the fans like crazy, that generates a current = bad.

That's probably the two main possible hardware related issues dealt with.

Next, I'd assume it is probably some malware if nearly everything is still running but slow. Don't trust a single anti-malware solution, use several (in sequence, not together).

Go to 'Bleeping Computer' which is a good safe source of the files. Get:
RKILL.
TDSSKILLER,
ZEMANA ANTIMALWARE,
ADWCLEANER,
ESET ONLINE SCANNER,
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL,
MALWAREBYTES,
SUPERANTISPYWARE
and WINDOWS REPAIR (ALL IN ONE).

Download them all, first, to your Windows desktop.

Install/run them one at a time, in the above sequence (not at the same time) make sure you do full scans of all drives and if they find anything, that it is removed (you usually have to wait until the end).

I would recommend that if the anti-malware programs do an install, that you uninstall them after they have done their thing, too. Running more than a single anti-malware product at the same time is usually bad (because of conflicts) and will slow your PC.

This will all take ages, especially on a slow PC. Tough, suck it up! Don't be tempted to close things or do half scans.

Run the WINDOWS REPAIR (ALL IN ONE), in safe mode, after all the scans have done their bit. There is a button to reboot in safe mode at the start of the program, so it's a no-brainer.

Do all the recommended precursor steps/backups, in sequence, and then run all the repairs. Reboot and be aware that sometimes you have had to do this 'safe mode and repair' twice.

When that is done, run the disk cleanup (which is part of windows) and click the button to clean up system files. Reboot afterwards and it should look like it is doing updates (it is actually cleaning up the updates cache and 'locked files').

Manually run the Windows Update.

After this, your PC performance will probably be back to normal, if not a bit snappier. If it isn't, you have failing hardware that probably needs a proper technician to fix.

edit on 9/1/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Okay... I've read everyone's suggestions and it helps a lot, but for now, I'm trying to make a boot disk. The last time I had a laptop get this badly fried, a friend made me a boot disk and it fixed everything flawlessly, so I'm hoping it'll do the same this time.

The error messages when I try to reset/restore the PC simply say THERE WAS A PROBLEM RESETTING YOUR PC. No changes were made.

It happens no matter what method I use, and I get a similar message when trying to install Windows 8.1, although that's just me trying to download a fix, so it could very well just be a dud of a download. I'm doing it the harder (and presumably correct) way now.

Still can't post screenshots on ATS because this website is drunk, so I posted my progress on my twitter. This is what Rufus is doing; Rufus Installing ISO on Flashdrive

Am I doing that ^ correctly so far? I'm going step by step with online instructions. Lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You should have bought a better computer your model is hell on drivers , My mother had one and every time it updated it lost drivers etc and the company are no good at putting out fixes so look into the logs to see what was last downloaded and good luck

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Former IT Pro here... Windows notoriously bad on hard drives and totally insecure, even Windows 10.

Seriously buy a Macbook Air and slowly migrate over while you use it. I'm being totally serious, I left Windows-land completely 5 years ago and haven't look back. Never have had a single issue or weirdness with my Apple laptops.

The Macbook Air I'm typing this on is 5 years old and going strong through 3 free OS upgrades.

(post by ToxicWasteland44 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic

Former IT Pro here... Windows notoriously bad on hard drives and totally insecure, even Windows 10.

Seriously buy a Macbook Air and slowly migrate over while you use it. I'm being totally serious, I left Windows-land completely 5 years ago and haven't look back. Never have had a single issue or weirdness with my Apple laptops.

The Macbook Air I'm typing this on is 5 years old and going strong through 3 free OS upgrades.

This has no context to helping this person. “Former IT pro” is by far the last person I would take advice from. What if they want to play a game that’s not on Mac? Do you
1. Expect them to drop a few grand on a new Mac
2. Use a VM to run windows
3. Pray to god it works?

You’re the reason I have the job I do.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
OP... first of all, running windows 10 on those specs is a bad idea. id say min 16 gb ram for win 10.

second. take it to a computer shop and get a new HD then get them to copy your files to new drive.

find windows 7 and install it. lose the free windows 10 upgrade link as well.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I was waiting for Gothmog to show up in your thread and now he has. Believe me, he is an expert and can help you. Ignore all the CCcleaner and antimalware advice from other members, no matter how well meant.

(If it was Windows 7, I could help you too cos I am (or rather was) a sys-admin for a living.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join