It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sonic attack' on US embassy in Havana could have been crickets, say scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

A fresh analysis of the audio recording has revealed what scientists in the UK and the US now believe is the true source of the piercing din: it is the song of the Indies short-tailed cricket, known formally as Anurogryllus celerinictus.

“The recording is definitively a cricket that belongs to the same group,” said Fernando Montealegre-Zapata, a professor of sensory biology at the University of Lincoln. “The call of this Caribbean species is about 7 kHz, and is delivered at an unusually high rate, which gives humans the sensation of a continuous sharp trill.”

'Sonic attack' on US embassy in Havana could have been crickets, say scientists

Now this is interesting. It is hard for me to believe this was not pointed out by someone who has lived in Cuba earlier. The report does say an attack may have still happened but it was not acoustic.

edit on 6-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I'm no entomologist, but this sounds like BS to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Crickets don't cause brain damage and permanent hearing loss.
Perhaps a sonic weapon was used that mimicked the sounds of crickets... There's no way I'll believe people got brain damage from crickets outside their hotel.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Perhaps a sonic weapon was used that mimicked the sounds of crickets... There's no way I'll believe people got brain damage from crickets outside their hotel.

The story says there may have still been an attack it just was not done with sound waves. You may be on to something with it mimicked the sounds of crickets.

edit on 6-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The "noisy cricket" is an actual weapon...

Who knew?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

a reply to: trollz

IDK man, where I grew up we had cicada's and it's hard to explain HIOW LOUD those little buggers can be

A cicada in a tree outside hurts your mind ! Just one! I'd hate to hear a troop of them, fortunately they hibernate for 13/17 yrs at a time!

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyJetson

Yah, i live in midwest and these things are loud. Have not sustained a cricket or cicada related brain injury to date, however. Crickets is probably the best way to describe how quiet the usual suspects are on this matter. An "in your face" joke like calling the amazon device the "echo".

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Okay, so that was crickets Havana. What about the crickets in China? They caused the same injuries months apart?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Swamp gas, Venus, Crickets.

It's not even funny anymore.

Annoying that they think we are such idiots, but funny...not so much.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
yeah, could have been crickets, but who taught those crickets to chirp in a way to mess up the Americans there. The crickets would have had to be trained to all say the same thing.

I want a job training crickets to drive people insane.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I cannot believe i forget to point that out. Only Americans are suffering from cricket brain damage, and particularly only the ones who work at US embassies. We mist assume by these facts that the crickets are inside the embassy.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Crickets ?
Why not Unicorn Farts ?
Both are just as believable.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Crickets ?
Why not Unicorn Farts ?

Crickets emit large pitches of intrasound. Thats a fact. Is this something you dont understand?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Death crickets as a weapon.

The government better get to regulating them quickly.

They are not just for fishing anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: Gothmog
Crickets ?
Why not Unicorn Farts ?

Crickets emit large pitches of intrasound. Thats a fact. Is this something you dont understand?

Do you know how many crickets it would take to do any form of damage
No , I didnt think so

top topics

join