It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Ireland Student Fear tuition hike after Brexit - $3700 a year right now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...
"NI students in limbo over Irish tuition fees. They currently pay a "student contribution" fee of 3,000 euros (£2,700) a year towards their tuition, the same as their counterparts from Ireland and the EU."
(3000 EUROS IS APX $3700 usd)

YES, that is YEARLY......Every American, is like, HOLD up right there...........$3700 a year, to cover tuition.
I'm pretty sure that would barely cover fees where I live. $3700 doesn't even sound right to us, it is so low!
Someone mentioned that schools here encourage student exchange, and now I see why. The schools here are probably making a killing off of it! They charge their normal tuition rates, around 25K or so, and send students to an "exotic European school" and everyone is happy. Of course, the US Schools pockets the difference in cost. Man the older I get the more I see right through these things. Everything and I mean everything is made to rip students off (at least in the US).

"She could face tuition fees of 19,000 euros (£17,000) a year depending on the course she chooses and said that would be impossible for her to pay."
Welcome to the NWO Northern Ireland, it sucks doesn't it! Now you

"The lack of certainty around fees and the status of northern students is causing huge anxiety and confusion," she said.

The costs are not set in stone right now, but everyone is worried. Imagine knowing perfectly well that those high costs are correct. That is exactly what Americans are going through, and have been going through. crazy!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

heh, damn I need to move to Ireland!!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Isn't that Cra Cra! A 4 year degree for under 15K

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

My sons, both born in Australia, have dual citizenship. They're thinking they may take their Masters degrees in Europe. I can also get goodies by being married to an Italian Australian. Its great having choices.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Still probably a net loss,

Get in a trade, work for 4 years and not only would you have made money for 4 years(instead of paying) but you'd have an actual skill.

Atleast that's the case in most of the US, maybe ireland is different.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Student fees in the U.K. are not like debt it’s more like a small tax you pay once you’re earning enoug. Then you do have some other debt you might wind up if you have to enjoy freshers week a little too much. Some courses you don’t need to pay any tuition for I have never paid for higher education yet still have a masters degree. Even done some extra stuff, totally unrelated to my degree.

It’s actually not a bad system really I think just hope brexit doesn’t break it
edit on 2-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Dear lord. I totally understand I made the decision to go to a University. It was such a waste of money though. I would LOVE that tuition amount.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Still probably a net loss,

Get in a trade, work for 4 years and not only would you have made money for 4 years(instead of paying) but you'd have an actual skill.

At Least that's the case in most of the US, maybe ireland is different.

I totally agree that there are people that shouldn't go to college. To those people it makes absolutely no sense to take on any debt and end up in a job paying less than if they went the trade route. Some trade routes will pay more than degreed jobs. However not everyone fits in that category.

If you are in a field such as business, engineering, medical etc. I would consider it a must to get the highest degree you possibly can. It could be the difference in hundreds of thousands to millions over the course of your career. There are some careers that won't even consider you without a degree. I'm not saying it is right, but that is just how it is.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Student fees in the U.K. are not like debt it’s more like a small tax you pay once you’re earning enoug. Then you do have some other debt you might wind up if you have to enjoy freshers week a little too much. Some courses you don’t need to pay any tuition for I have never paid for higher education yet still have a masters degree. Even done some extra stuff, totally unrelated to my degree.

It’s actually not a bad system really I think just hope brexit doesn’t break it

It is possible to go to school in the US without debt, but it is VERY difficult. In the past you would go to school, work, and take a little debt on.

Now a lot of people abuse the entire system. Schools know this and are exploiting it. They are taking loans out on way more than just tuition. These kids are living like rock stars all on student debt. They get a rude awakening when they realize how long it will take to pay off and that they can never discharge it. It is truly a debt that will stay with you until you die.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
3,700$ would hardly cover the text book costs for the year in some fields.

If I could go to school for that cheap I’d be fighting to keep it that way too! I had to drop out of University because I couldn’t make enough money to pay for it at the time. Living expenses, and food and school fees were like 30k+ a year. I just had the one year worth of dept and it was scary to think about where I’d be in 5 years.

Dropped out got a job got several trades, bought a house then bought another house. Truck is paid for wife’s car is paid for. I am quite happy with my choice. Hell I’d be 5 year behind where I am today with and extra 100k of debt and odds are I’d make about the same money perhaps even less with the degree I was pursuing.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

They're probably not paying football coaches 5-10 million dollars a year either.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

that's not even a semester in the US

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

that's not even a semester in the US

Check this out!
www.student.com...

Germany is the fourth most popular country in the world for international students, and that’s because its universities have completely done away with tuition fees for students of any nationality

Believing education to be a right rather than a privilege, Germany is leading the way in making a university degree possible for all. In June 2015, more than 4,600 US students were fully enrolled at Germany universities, an increase of 20% over the previous three years. There are over 1,000 programmes taught in English by German universities, meaning language need not be an issue in getting your degree. Data from the German Academic Exchange Service shows that monthly living expenses for students in Germany are currently around $960. This includes rent, transport, food and entertainment. It’s worth noting that even though tuition is completely free at German public universities, there will be a small semester fee to support the student union and related activities. This costs from $55-$280 each semester.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have never paid for higher education yet still have a masters degree.

Someone paid for it because it isn’t free. I still don’t understand why someone else should pay for something you want. It is a strange concept to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

HAng on a sec...that 2700 is a CONTRIBUTION, not the whole tuition. A PEL grant in nearly that much. Plus local community colleges are reasonable in the US, as are trade schools.

What peeps fail to realize that if everyone gets a degree....it cheapens it. So instead of 5 peeps with a degree in African-American studies, you now have 50,000 grads. So those 6 job openings that require that specific degree can be uber hoosy, which now means that peeps want a Masters.

See how it works? Degrees are mostly a waste of money now...unless you are at a top tier school. Supply and Demand baby!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

pretty soon Germany is going to have the world's most intelligent population (actually maybe that's always been true)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

degree's are mandatory for anyone who isn't in a trade union or know's a trade there's no way around it, you guys can keep saying that but in the real world if you want any sort of supervisor or managerial position you have to have a degree

you can always make 18-19 an hour running a CNC machine or extruder without a degree but those jobs are garbage. crap benefits unions who work for the company

I'm currently a carpenter who decided to get a degree in technology because I hate being in the trades but hey, some guys love it

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I respectfully disagree.

WASHINGTON — Americans with no more than a high school diploma have fallen so far behind college graduates in their economic lives that the earnings gap between college grads and everyone else has reached its widest point on record. The growing disparity has become a source of frustration for millions of Americans worried that they — and their children — are losing economic ground. College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973. Since the Great Recession ended in 2009, college-educated workers have captured most of the new jobs and enjoyed pay gains. Non-college grads, by contrast, have faced dwindling job opportunities and an overall 3% decline in income, EPI's data shows. "The post-Great Recession economy has divided the country along a fault line demarcated by college education," Anthony Carnevale, director of Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce, said in a report last year. College grads have long enjoyed economic advantages over Americans with less education. But as the disparity widens, it is doing so in ways that go beyond income, from homeownership to marriage to retirement. Education has become a dividing line that affects how Americans vote, the likelihood that they will own a home and their geographic mobility.

Link

I got my degree by serving in the Army, then using the college fund. Had little debt. So did my wife.

My son just got out the Marines and is doing the same. He is a junior now and has no debt. He might take a loan or two, but less than $10,000 by the end of his degree.

My wife and I have made 6 figure for over a decade where my friends in the trades never made it beyond $60-70.

Trades were good a generation ago. Could raise a family. For young folks today they need the degree as much as folks needed the HS degree a generation ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

I totally agree with you

I work in the trades and I've been raised in my by my father who was a general contractor. I've been around them my entire life

on good years guys make 50-60k on the best years they make 70k. in fact in the last several years it's been brutal for many people. a lot of guys go 5-6 months between jobs or work for 9 months then have 3-4 months off and rinse and repeat

it's not a great career anymore and the union's get worse. not to mention the fact that almost all trade unions have nearly lost their pension's multiple times in the past few years and have huge unfunded liabilities

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I just finished up my MBA...at 51. So "you guys" does not apply to me. And yes, that is true, but what is also true is that if everyone gets your same "technology" degree...whatever in the hell that is, then it becomes diluted. Then you are back on the same boat.

I think the problem is that you want what I have right now when you do not realize it has taken 40 years to get where I am now. So i can empathize, but not sympathize with your position.

<<   2 >>

join