It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I love about Millennials and Generation Z

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think as a whole we can say Americans have been pretty materialistic for quite a while. Overconsumption, over packing,
waste, excess, gluttony, just too much of everything.

My generation (Gen X) is guilty of this, and don't even get me started on Baby Boomers!
I remember one Christmas when presents were almost tall as the Christmas tree itself.

People can a lot things about Millennials and Gen Z, but there is one thing I have really really noticed,
they are not as materialistic. They are much more about experiences. Man I just love that. They seem to be
very into minimalism and quality over quantity.

I received a Xmas gift from a Millenial that was very touching, it was for a shared experience. I think this trend is a
very positive thing for both people and the environment.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I am a baby boomer and I would love to know what you
think of my generation! Let me get that bottle of eggnog
first before you begin. I also promised my husband we would
watch some movies this afternoon.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I'm a Gen X er as well but, refuse to be labeled. I am whatever I want to be at whatever moment.

My children are Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials or whatever that is...my daughter chooses her gifts wisely and as needed.

I would like to begin to give the experiences type of gifts from this point forward, not a bad idea IMO

Thanks for that and Merry Christmas (again-I think I said that to you in another thread!)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

This is my opinion, and I've read a lot of stuff backing that opinion up. Of course not true in all cases.

When I think of Baby boomers, I think of excess. Nick nacks, gizmos, gadgets, china cabinets filled to the brim. Displays of collections. I think of the exact opposite of minimalism. I think Baby boomers were similar to the Victorians.
Baby boomers had parents that were from the Depression era and I totally believe that the pendulum swung in the opposite direction because of that.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

iPhone, Starbucks, and Amazon, would like to wish you a Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: iplay1up2

I love that you brought up Amazon. People don't need to "hoard" like they used to because things are much more easily available. Of course there are people that order way too much on Amazon. For example, back in the day, moms might keep several bottles of cleaner at hand just in case she ran out and didn't want to go to the store. Now she can easily click and sometimes have that item in two hours delivered.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: iplay1up2

I love that you brought up Amazon. People don't need to "hoard" like they used to because things are much more easily available. Of course there are people that order way too much on Amazon. For example, back in the day, moms might keep several bottles of cleaner at hand just in case she ran out and didn't want to go to the store. Now she can easily click and sometimes have that item in two hours delivered.

Right, I can not tell you how many times my mother was upset, about the possibility, of running out of Windex. Thank God for Amazon!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Mixed blessing maybe.

3 out of 4 of our kids seem to be happy living broke, working only as much as they need to pay their bills with little ambition career wise.

I don't get it.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I'm a Gen X er as well but, refuse to be labeled. I am whatever I want to be at whatever moment.

My children are Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials or whatever that is...my daughter chooses her gifts wisely and as needed.

I would like to begin to give the experiences type of gifts from this point forward, not a bad idea IMO

Thanks for that and Merry Christmas (again-I think I said that to you in another thread!)

Nobody likes to be labeled but sometimes as a collective group in time there are truths and patterns, this is undeniable. It can be seen in everything from architecture, to clothing, foods, and other spending habits.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and sounds like you have great kids!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

www.thesimpledollar.com...

The Parable of the Fisherman and the Banker
An American investment banker was taking a much-needed vacation in a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. The boat had several large, fresh fish in it.

The investment banker was impressed by the quality of the fish and asked the Mexican how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, “Only a little while.” The banker then asked why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican fisherman replied he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman replied, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos: I have a full and busy life, señor.”

The investment banker scoffed, “I am an Ivy League MBA, and I could help you. You could spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats until eventually you would have a whole fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to the middleman you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You could control the product, processing and distribution.”

Then he added, “Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City where you would run your growing enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But señor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then?” asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You could make millions.”

“Millions, señor? Then what?”

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You forgot the part where the fisherman's car engine locked up and he had to borrow $6,500 bucks from the banker at 15% interest because the fisherman has no money, no assets, and no credit.

Then his electricity is cut off because he doesn't make enough money to pay all the bills plus the loan back. Then the fisherman has to leave his little town because there are no jobs that pay enough there, live in a pay-by-week hotel in a big city and go to work 60 hours a week and send money home.

Stories like that sound nice when there are zero hardships... Life doesn't really work that way.

Have you noticed that story of the fisherman and the banker sounds a lot like the Ant and the Grasshopper?

LOL
edit on 25-12-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I’m glad someone can appreciate that instead of spending $1,000s on gifts for two family sides that are divorced (talking about you, baby boomers who have made holidays miserable with your divorce rate) , going to 4 thanksgivings, and then 4 Christmases, receiving china plastic crap as gifts, that we spent the last 3 weeks touring Europe teaching our young daughter about different Christmas cultures, learning to ice skate, ski, and speak new languages. Our family was pissed. It’s like ground hog day with them and they loveeeeee giving our kid junk. No thanks. To add to the list, Millenials hate plastic junk toys for our kids. Get wooden or metal thoughtful, last a lifetime toys. One gift. Not a heap!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I try not to think anything about any generations. Individuals should be judged on their own merits, not broadly generalized by others who happen to be around the same age.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

In other words there's more people out there dabbin' instead of holding jobs. Yeah, I agree!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What part of the planet do you live on Jag? Show me these millennials you speak of.

In my part of the world, yes — they do want experiences. But they also want every new gadget and toy known to man. But they don’t want to have to pay, or work for it. That’s what everyone else is here to do for them. Just my .02 cents.

I’m gen X ,BTW.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Millenials, without anybody realising it
have their very own patron saint !

Hermès !!
Almost, but not quite... for the iron-y afflicted ...the God of shopping

edit on 25-12-2018 by Cassi3l because: Happy Christmas !

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Its hard to be materialistic when previous generations stole all your wealth before you were born.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

Ah, so blame others for your failure. Play the victim.
Personal responsibility is for losers right?

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
Millenials, without anybody realising it
have their very own patron saint !

Hermès !!

This saints Native American name translates to — Man With Little Package

edit on 25-12-2018 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

From observing my Boomer mother, her friends and similar aged relatives? You folks have a penchant for hoarding, highly likely acquired from the Have Nots Silent generation parents (my grandmother was a Silent, and HORRIBLE hoarder, going so far as to Dumpster Dive) and trying to justify it as having "earned" or "saved from the dump" the junk that is never used and packed into boxes and closets and shoved into a storage corner, never to see the light of day.

Sure, you earned it or saved it from decaying in a dump, but you're not taking any of it with you when you kick the bucket. And few, if any, relatives are going to want it when you do hit that crossroad. I think that's a pivotal difference between older generations and younger ones -- the younger ones don't want nor care for Excessive Piles of Stuff. I sure don't, and my Gen X'er hubby and I are making damned sure our kids know that less is more throughout life. Things don't make people happy -- people make themselves happy via what they do with their lives, rather than what they fill it with for the sake of having.
edit on 12/25/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join