It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook let Netflix, Spotify, and other companies read your private messages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
VOX.com

As the media continues to uncover more and more information about ongoing privacy issues regarding Facebook — both its intentional data sharing and its unintentional leaks — the New York Times has published a new bombshell report: Facebook has spent years giving major corporations, including the Times itself, invasive access to its users’ content and contact information, much more than it has previously disclosed.

NY Times

Internal documents show that the social network gave Microsoft, Amazon, Spotify and others far greater access to people’s data than it has disclosed.

For the last 9 years, Facebook has given your private messages and contact information to over 150 corporate entities without your knowledge. Every single private detail you've ever expressed in a private message to someone else has been given to over 150 corporations and god-knows how many others have it now.

It's time for Facebook to go bankrupt.

I advocate and call for the mass deletion of Facebook accounts.

Facebook stands for political censorship and mass invasion of privacy. Facebook has 214 million users in the US. That's 2/3s of the population. It's time to end them.

I've already deleted mine.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Why do people still use facebook at all?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Because human beings like being connected.

It just isn't worth it anymore. Not with this.

edit on 21 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Facebook is a terrible company and deserves to end. I haven't had an account in years.

However, in the interest of showing a broader scope, it definitely isn't just Facebook. Google does the same stuff. Heck, it's all but guaranteed the government does the same thing. Once they put GPS in our phones, privacy disappeared. Just because someone disables GPS in their phone doesn't mean it can't be hacked/used by someone else. Those little agreements that pop up when you download a new app that no one reads and just clicks "accept", a lot of those could be doing similar things.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you in the slightest, I fully agree that Facebook is no better than a criminal. I'm just meaning that it's more than just Facebook we should be mad at. Facebook was the first that was caught, but others do the same stuff.

We should be just as pissed at Spotify, Netflix, etc. for even wanting the ability to read our messages. And why? Advertising. The almighty dollar.

Advertising will directly contribute to the downfall of the human race.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Facebook should be headed for some real trouble and fines. To think they do this for money -- as if they don't have enough.

Ugh.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They should hold another fake congressional hearing about it again.

Nothing was brought up about FB messenger using your phone microphone to listen to you.

The mfers are still doing it.

Don't feed the giant facial recognition police state bs.

Facebook: The fake public entity created when the darpa/pentagon spy program known as Lifelog was shutdown.

-the same day.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I also think cell phone convos are monitored. Talk about buying a guitar with a friend on your cell. Guitar ads will pop up
on your laptop, tablet, everywhere. And you may even get a call from a chain music store asking if they can help you.

And clicking on an ATS ad can cause a tsuanami of responses.
edit on 21-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Hurry, click now, you have 1 day left for your Worst Buy purchase.

25% off monitors, laptops,tablets, guitars and cellphones!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Shouldn't there be some punishment for these companies as well? I'm asking because firstly I think Facebook is pretty much been about selling data since the moment the idea popped into the creepy guys head, secondly anyone who thinks there social media information is secret and kept hidden from the world is as nuts as a bunch of well nuts (couldn't think of anything else lol) but surely these other companies should be fined for using and accessing that data.

I remember a year or two ago when a politician over here in the UK said: "If Facebook is treating the data of its users as a product to sell there should be some type of opt in and out that would include a percentage going to the person whose data has been sold on and it should be in the upper double digits at least this way it would remove Facebooks incentive to sell the data without permission"

It didn't go anywhere but still would be a smart move to stop the data selling issues.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I bet a shinny penny that everyone who uses Facebook gave them permission to do this in the terms of service.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Whether they did or not is irrelevant. This wouldn't be news if the circumstances surrounding this issue were on the level.

There is no good excuse for this kind of chicanery.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
76te]originally posted by: projectvxn
VOX.com

As the media continues to uncover more and more information about ongoing privacy issues regarding Facebook — both its intentional data sharing and its unintentional leaks — the New York Times has published a new bombshell report: Facebook has spent years giving major corporations, including the Times itself, invasive access to its users’ content and contact information, much more than it has previously disclosed.

NY Times

Internal documents show that the social network gave Microsoft, Amazon, Spotify and others far greater access to people’s data than it has disclosed.

For the last 9 years, Facebook has given your private messages and contact information to over 150 corporate entities without your knowledge. Every single private detail you've ever expressed in a private message to someone else has been given to over 150 corporations and god-knows how many others have it now.

It's time for Facebook to go bankrupt.

I advocate and call for the mass deletion of Facebook accounts.

Facebook stands for political censorship and mass invasion of privacy. Facebook has 214 million users in the US. That's 2/3s of the population. It's time to end them.

I've already deleted mine.

Woah. Didn't we always suspect that? Now I better close my MYSPACE page!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Didn't we always suspect that?

I try to wait for evidence.

Stupid, I know. What kind of an idiot does that?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

For the last 9 years, Facebook has given your private messages and contact information to over 150 corporate entities without your knowledge.

Not exactly. Those entities were given the same access to your account as your "friends" are? Subtle difference, not sure it matters.

It doesn't to me because I never did Facebook. Neener, neener.

edit on 12/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not exactly. Those entities were given the same access to your account as your "friends" are? Subtle difference, not sure it matters.

Facebook gave access to private messages. That's way beyond standard friend access.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

For the last 9 years, Facebook has given your private messages and contact information to over 150 corporate entities without your knowledge.

It doesn't to me because I never did Facebook. Neener, neener.

Yeah me either Phage (wife's addicted tho..)....always thought that's a given....and Alexa and Siri are waaaaay dangerous in a deeply insidious way.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas Phage.....best. M.S.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Didn't we always suspect that?

I try to wait for evidence.

Stupid, I know. What kind of an idiot does that?

Not stupid, cautious. That's ok. Myself? I don't need a light on in an outhouse to know someone used it.

Happy Holiday Projectvxn!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I hope this includes some members from the European Union, as they have now in place that system for staggering fines for privacy violations. Up to €20 million, or 4% of the worldwide annual revenue of the prior financial year, whichever is higher, shall be issued for infringements of:

GDPR privacy law in Europe

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Phage

Facebook gave access to private messages. That's way beyond standard friend access.

not only that, but access to SENDING private messages in some cases.

honestly, as a programmer, i don't get it. when someone wants their service integrated, there are APIs for that. app access and stuff. you give a certain app access to your account, facebook tells you what that app can do, you either give access or you don't, period. you can revoke it at any time as well.

now, the question is, is this all some kind of FUD being spread about companies that got access BECAUSE USERS PERMITTED IT, or did facebook give them access behind the door, with users having absolutely no control over it.

if it's the latter, facebook is the most moronic corporation on this planet and will go down in flames, fast. knowing how people (and the government!) love to create a sh..storm out of nothing to gather attention (for whatever purposes), i have my doubts.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I haven't used social media other than this site in years. I won't ever go back to it. I don't even pay for a network provider. Most of my communication takes place in person and if I need to call someone it's with a simple paycard phone paid in cash or an e-mail in the extreme. I never speak of anything P.I. over a data connection. I used a throwaway email specifically for this site. Nothing is connected.

And the funny thing is that as much as social media and technology itself has been integrated into our daily lives I'm still able to pay the bills and be a successful individual. I also spend way less on utilities and such. It's funny ever since I disconnected, I've found myself to have become deeper connected with the world around me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join