It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuck roast carnitas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
So I'm as much of a meat and potato guy as the next, but sometimes I want the spice of life.

I know what days to hit my stores to snag sweet deals on meat, and often times the chuck roast is there for the taking (managers specials). Buy it when you see it, stick it in the freezer if you don't want to deal with it immediately.

So here we go.

3-5 pound roast.

1.5 thinly sliced yellow onion (or one large)

6 cloves of garlic (dial it down if you're not keen on heinous amounts)

1-4 Serrano of jalapeño peppers, adjust to taste

1 Bay leaf

16 ounce crushed tomatoes.

1 tablespoon anchor chili pepper (add more, don't be scared)

1 tablespoon Cheyenne chili pepper (do more)

1 tablespoon black pepper (crack it fresh you lazy animal)

1 tablespoon cumin.

Optional - red wine for deglazing.

Brown your roast with olive oil and salt/black pepper in a large pan/pot (fat side first). Hit all sides a few minutes each then put in crock pot for later.

With the remaining oil in pan, throw your onion, garlic, peppers in to par cook close to finish. Add spices near the end to get a nice toast. Deglazed with wine, water or beef broth.

Add all of that to cockpot with crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, and about 12 ounces of water.

Cook till the beef is fork tender.

As with any recipe I post, tweek it a little or a lot.

This goes good with so many things and can make the staple roast into something new and exciting.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i like to use shoulder cut but i make about the same thing for a cheap beef filling

toss in some bell peppers and pablano peppers (fresh green ancho) to stretch it out and add flavor

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Yea I'll use most cuts, it will just dictate how I prepare/cook it.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Sounds yummy....but I hate slow cookers.
Is it doable in the oven?

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Sounds yummy....but I hate slow cookers.
Is it doable in the oven?

Absolutely. I would just suggest a Dutch oven or a deep pan with tightly sealed foil.

The steam really helps with the chuck roast to get it pull apart.
edit on 15-12-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Sounds GREAT!!

I'm doing some low-carb stuff now to reduce blood sugar and other bad ju-ju, so this works!

I think a little bit of cider vinegar might be great in that too!

YUMMM!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

So, basically cook as for a pot roast???

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sounds yummy...
but Carnitas is fried pork... or crispy pork. usually slow simmered and braised in oil.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yup.

I just shred and let it simmer towards the end so it pulls the flavor.

Obviously it still has the texture of pot roast, but it's a different take on it.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I read this earlier while I was eating elk back strap medallions in a little bit of reduced butter and garlic with some oyster mushrooms I grew.

The elk went down about a month ago.

Tomorrow for breakfast is a little bit of smoked trout in an omelette with a neighbor's rather brilliant white goat cheddar.

For those of you that struggle so much to make an inferior meat better, why not just get a better meat?

I didn't post at the time, thought about the logistics of it but at the end of the day I wonder why more people who are good at cooking and enjoy good food don't just move to a place where you have an abundance of incredible ingredients.

You obviously enjoy what you do...

So why do it with less?

~puzzled~

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

For those of you that struggle so much to make an inferior meat better, why not just get a better meat?

I didn't post at the time, thought about the logistics of it but at the end of the day I wonder why more people who are good at cooking and enjoy good food don't just move to a place where you have an abundance of incredible ingredients.

It's how I was raised. I don't ever want to be at a point in my life I look down to certain foods because they're not the best.

Even if I am well off, which I am.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Beef carnitas????

Somebody white AF.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Beef carnitas????

Somebody white AF.

I'm from Texas, I know the difference.... But sometimes I don't speak literally so that a short phrase can convey a message everyone can read quickly and know what's meant.

My moms side is Italian, I can assure you the names of many dishes in America are a perversion at best.

That being said.... I'm extremely white, yes haha.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I'm from Texas.

I'd at least try them I mean who doesn't like to eat the flesh of animals?

Maybe its more like barbacoa?

Once I was in West Texas at some Mexican carnival....

I smelled this amazing smell, my stomach grumbled.

My nose led me to a stand, it said Tripitas, that word looked sorta familiar but that day my brain wasn't playing google translato.

So I give them my money I get 3 amazing looking tacos and some sauzz, oh god I destroy them.

Surprised I had all my fingers, so I had to ask wtf is this?

So I'm all "Ey mama wot kind of a meat are these?" Tripita she replies.

Whats that?

It's from pig.

Muh brain is like oh snap thats tripe.......

chitlins

#lins if you wills.

All I can say is;

That # was tasty!

Normally I dont eat guts of any sort, I suppose unless you jazz it up and make it enticing and I don't know what I'm getting into.

wow what a long useless story, lol.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I love chitlins.

Tripe ain't bad eithe if someone makes menudo right.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
My mouth is burning just from looking at the ingredients. A little too spicy for me.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I read this earlier while I was eating elk back strap medallions in a little bit of reduced butter and garlic with some oyster mushrooms I grew.

The elk went down about a month ago.

Tomorrow for breakfast is a little bit of smoked trout in an omelette with a neighbor's rather brilliant white goat cheddar.

You obviously enjoy what you do...

So why do it with less?

~puzzled~

I never even thought of putting smoked fish into an omelet. Actually that really sounds like a good combo to me. I will have to try it next time I get smoked fish. What else goes into the omelet, what type of cheese goes best with that too?

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
My mouth is burning just from looking at the ingredients. A little too spicy for me.

I put hot sauce on mine to finish it off haha.... (mad dog 357)

I have a problem.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

UMMM, you do know Carnitas is pork right? So you can't say beef carnitas, sounds more like Barbacoa

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

UMMM, you do know Carnitas is pork right? So you can't say beef carnitas, sounds more like Barbacoa

Real barbacoa is goat....

Since we're all splitting hairs in here. Lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join