It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resiniferatoxin - A Chemical So Hot It Destroys Nerve Endings In A Good Way !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

In Morocco there grows a cactus-like plant that’s so hot, I have to insist that the next few sentences aren’t hyperbole. On the Scoville Scale of hotness, its active ingredient, resiniferatoxin, clocks in at 16 billion units. That’s 10,000 times hotter than the Carolina reaper, the world’s hottest pepper, and 45,000 times hotter than the hottest of habaneros, and 4.5 million times hotter than a piddling little jalapeno.

Wow ... that's HOT! So, this doesn't sound like a new thing for foodies, for sure, but there is a nice twist to this discovery - possible medical uses for pain.

But while that toxicity will lay up any mammal dumb enough to chew on the resin spurge, resiniferatoxin has also emerged as a promising painkiller. Inject RTX, as it’s known, into an aching joint, and it’ll actually destroy the nerve endings that signal pain. Which means medicine could soon get a new tool to help free us from the grasp of opioids.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an alternative to opioids, that works?

Not to get political, but will TPTB allow such a thing? I sure hope so!!

www.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

If someone has the urge to not use drugs then ya good idea. But a lot of people take those pills to get high.
The only time I allow myself to take one of those pills is for tooth pain. Cause that shiz sucks.
Cool find either way!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
16 billion on the Schoville?

You wot?

Ouch.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I do wonder how long before some idiot try's to make a curry with this as an ingredient.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

If someone has the urge to not use drugs then ya good idea. But a lot of people take those pills to get high.
The only time I allow myself to take one of those pills is for tooth pain. Cause that shiz sucks.
Cool find either way!
Yep when you have a tooth ache no drug is off limits.
I will take anything and I hate pills.

But tooth and ear aches are why we need opiates.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They can already inject saline solution to kill nerves to treat pain. The problem is that this isn't a good idea because then that appendage becomes oblivious to any damage caused to it. You could have a blister, be bleeding, break a bone, have a parasite eating away at it, you wouldn't know.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Wow I am going to have to do some research on this. As someone that suffers from chronic pain I would love a alternative to opiates. I've already tried every type of MMJ, CBDs, injections etc. to no avail. If this stuff is as good as claims it could be life changing for people like me.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Here's where you can buy the plant that makes it. Fun for friends and family.
www.etsy.com... a-craft_supplies_and_tools-floral_and_garden_supplies-greenery_and_gardening-plants-succulents&utm_custom1=d694b1df-ae0e-4fc9-919f-c66dfb567cb0&utm_co ntent=go_270947675_41952100536_190780185031_pla-296454113449_c__635592020&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIho6zi_PW3gIVCoFpCh0zTAkKEAQYAiABEgLRSfD_BwE

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Sounds like the next Tide Pod challenge

Interesting post, thanks.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

From the same article:

RTX is a capsaicin analog, only it’s between 500 and 1,000 times more potent. When RTX binds to TRPV1, it props open the nerve cell’s ion channel, letting a whole lot of calcium in. That’s toxic, leading to the inactivation of the pain-sensing nerve endings.

This leaves other varieties of sensory neurons unaffected, because RTX is highly specific to TRPV1. “So you gain selectivity because it only acts on TRPV1, which is only on a certain class of fibers, which only transmit pain,” says Yaksh. “Therefore you can selectively knock out pain without knocking out, say, light touch or your ability to walk.”

I think if it came between either having chronic pain or using pills that don't work on me I would go this route. Topical issues and even bruising can be visibly detected. And while I've known people who had broken bones and didn't know it this seems more like a localized type of injection, so I don't think it would really affect a person's ability to know that something isn't operating properly.
edit on 15-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: Fixed an incomplete sentence.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

Excellent point!

Yeah, saline is more like napalm … not very selective indeed.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Excellent find. After some research, this is info has been around for awhile. Wonder why it has been under covered. Apparently quite old, as in ancient, medicine.

Life Sciences
Volume 60, Issue 10, 31 January 1997, Pages 681-696
Life Sciences

Minireview
Euphorbium: Modern research on its active principle, resiniferatoxin, revives an ancient medicine.

***SNIP***
Though resiniferatoxin was isolated only two decades ago, the dried latex of Euphorbia resinifera, called Euphorbium, has been in medicinal use since the time of recorded history. This review highlights the most important events in the history of this ancient medicine, from the first written record of the therapeutic potential of Euphorbium (at the time of the reign of the Roman Emperor Augustus) to the identification of its active principle as resiniferatoxin in 1975. 44

www.sciencedirect.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I do wonder how long before some idiot try's to make a curry with this as an ingredient.

Hold my beer, buddy...

And, no jokes, I might just be stupid enough to try doing that...
edit on 15-11-2018 by Havoc40k because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Killing nerves means no pain yeah,but all loss of sensation with it. I can't see it replacing opioids at all,just won't happen.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

. Inject RTX, as it’s known, into an aching joint, and it’ll actually destroy the nerve endings that signal pain.

Time for some Spotless Mind action right tthurr I'd say...

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I'd have a go

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
It could be used as a shampoo for people with TDS but i digress i think a direct injection into the brain would be a better choice lol even better let's make it a Challenge tide pod style lol

Hmm.... do you concur doctor ? I concur doctor ....lol

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: RealityIsAbsurd
a reply to: peskyhumans

From the same article:

When RTX binds to TRPV1, it props open the nerve cell’s ion channel, letting a whole lot of calcium in. That’s toxic, leading to the inactivation of the pain-sensing nerve endings.

Does this mean the patient will feel extreme pain in those nerves until they're deactivated? Kinda sounds like it.
How long does it take for the nerves to deactivate? Could be minutes of the most extreme pain imaginable until basically the nerves overload and shut down.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

No telling until they stick someone with it. Or an animal first. I would hope with the explanation and rating they gave it would be almost instantaneous or at least a few short seconds.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Wonder why it has been under covered.

Opiate pain meds are big business. They have the money and the power to kill news stories.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join