It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry after police shoot African-American security guard 'hero'.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Did a search but couldn't find this posted anywhere.

I'm not one for starting threads but this sort of got me for some reason.

Apparently police shot dead a Black security guard who was restraining a man who was suspected to have been involved in a shooting incident in a bar in Chicago.

An armed security guard at a bar in suburban Chicago was killed by police as he detained a suspected gunman, according to officials and witnesses.
After gunfire erupted around 04:00 local time on Sunday, Jemel Roberson, 26, chased down an attacker and knelt on his back until police arrived.
Moments after police came on the scene, an officer opened fire on Roberson, who was black, killing him.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This guy had dreams of becoming a police officer himself and seems to have been a really decent person.

I don't want to moralise and preach about The Second Amendment or how the USA is bat# crazy but this is just mental.

I know we have problems here in the UK that we need to start addressing as a matter of urgency but surely its about time the US had an open and frank debate about the core issues that result in such horrendous tragedies like this.

I know some people will say or think 'its just one man' but its one too many.

I'll ask the question 'What is America going to do?' and I guarantee it'll descend into the typical left/right bollocks that most American themed threads here on ATS seem to do nowadays.

One things clear; unless Americans rid themselves of their bipartisan divisiveness then the same old status quo will remain and tragedies like this will continue unabated.....much to America's shame.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
it's in the food supply or something but I'm sure you can see from reading threads here that Americans are not existing in reality they live in their own little worlds

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

There is one thing I always say. "People should listen to Freeborn".

One things clear; unless Americans rid themselves of their bipartisan divisiveness then the same old status quo will remain and tragedies like this will continue unabated.....much to America's shame.

You're precisely right. You are such a gem with your wisdom and good ole horse sense.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Close the bars at midnight.
Every damn shooting outside a bar is after midnight.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I'm not one of those anti-American Brits who criticises America and its people for everything and anything.
In fact the one's I've met in real life have seemed ok sort of people.
Sure, we have our differences but we have more in common than we have that divides us.

But the obsession with left/right is mindboggling and generally seem incapable of thinking outside their pre-conceived ideological viewpoint.
It's set in stone - left is bad and right is good, or vice versa.

But tragedies like this should transcend all that nonsense....this is simply yet another manifestation of a deeper malaise within America.

I can't tell them what to do - even if I knew, which I don't - its their country and they need to go about fixing things pretty #ing sharpish or its going to be too late and the USA that we all know will go down the pan.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Funny, I read THIS thread and had no idea it was a 'black' security guard.

Why is there a need to turn this into a race issue?

Oh yeah, MSM just has to push the divide tactics. Disgusting

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

So the literally millions who drink responsibly and don't shoot each other in bars after 12 have to suffer just because of the minority that do?

I've seen people use a very similar argument to advocate their support of The Second Amendment.

Its not the alcohol its the people??

Besides which....there'd just be a boom in unlicensed bars etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

And just who is pushing this so called divide?

Oh yeah, MSM.

It needs to be turned off and ignored, MSM is a cancer.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

First of all; I haven't turned into a race issue....I just mentioned the fact that he was black for the simple reason he was black....you can read into that what you want.

But remember site T&C, you must use the article headline in the thread title....and guess what...its says African-American in the headline.

You have a problem with that see site Admin....or even the owners if they ever show up again.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Notice I didn't say YOU were pushing, MSM is.

BBC is the one that pushed the issue he was black.

ETA: I actually agree with most of what you posted regarding ending partisan BS.

Again, it is MSM constantly pushing the partisan divide.
edit on 11 12 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Oh yeah, MSM.

It needs to be turned off and ignored, MSM is a cancer.

The msm is infotainment ,the cancerous part is the people who believe it like gospel.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Do you actually read anything here on ATS?

Nearly every US thread ends up in a left/right, democrat/republican bitch fest.
That's US people posting on US issues away from MSM.

Are you really going to deny that?

Perhaps you could comment on the actual details of the OP free from any sort ideological bias....or is that too much to expect?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I edited my post above before I saw this post.

That is all I will say.

Enjoy your thread.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Do you actually read anything here on ATS?

Nearly every US thread ends up in a left/right, democrat/republican bitch fest.
That's US people posting on US issues away from MSM.

Are you really going to deny that?

Perhaps you could comment on the actual details of the OP free from any sort ideological bias....or is that too much to expect?

I will say turn off MSM, turn off ATS and the internet and go outside.

Real life is not what you would think from reading ATS or watching the news.

It is actually a pretty cool world out there.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It is indeed my friend.

I assure you, I enjoy life to the full and have been around the block on more than one occasion.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The answer to your question what will America do? Were going to change the channel and throw some popcorn into the microwave between commercials, just like yall do in the UK. Perhaps you should ask, wtf is the Chicago Midlothian PD going to do, as this was their renegade police officer.
edit on 11-12-2018 by worldstarcountry because: correcting the agency involved

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I'm sure you have mate.

To my point about MSM spinning divide, I was just reading the other thread and the debate was nothing partisan and nothing racial, like BBC spins it.
BBC just had to add

an officer opened fire on Roberson, who was black,

a disproportionately high proportion of police shootings in the US involve black people.

Why?

In the other thread there is a lot of outrage at the police killing this, dare I say, Hero. There is a lot to be upset about.
I am outraged this hero was killed doing his job and being a good citizen.

I guess I got "triggered" when I read BBC adding his color, there was no need for it. Sorry if I came off as aggressive towards you OP, didn't mean to be.
edit on 11 12 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply.

No problem....I'm no Snowflake and am very thick skinned, takes a lot to offend me.

I'm pleased CPD are getting a fair bit of stick over this.

But the outcome will be so predictable; officer suspended on pay pending an enquiry.
Enquiry clears/blame Officer.
Officer reinstated/ ironically becomes a security guard.

But nothing really changes and tomorrow or the day after or next week there'll be yet another tragedy for us all to argue about.
The wheel keeps turning and the earth keeps spinning and nothing changes!

As an aside; if I'd seen the other thread I wouldn't have started this one.
Mod, feel free to close this thread if you wish.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I remember or have read historically the English have slaughtered people all around the globe. Got a feeling that they still are to some degree

If your society was perfect, but

I think you will find bipartisan divisiveness a common theme globaly, it has nothing to do with guns

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Bluntone22
So the literally millions who drink responsibly and don't shoot each other in bars after 12 have to suffer just because of the minority that do?

Yea, I guess now you can understand the plight of lawful responsible gun owners right? Here is another catch phrase we can flip back as well; why exactly do you need to be drinking at a bar after midnight? Do you really need those extra 3-4 hours to get the task completed?
And the headline rule literally only applies to the Breaking Alternative News forum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join