It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Scouts' lawsuit accuses Boy Scouts of trademark infringement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

In the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the Girl Scouts of the United States of America (GSUSA) accused the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) of trademark infringement, unfair competition and dilution.

***SNIP***

“However, that core gender distinction between the two organizations and their use of the term SCOUTS and variations thereof has been altered by BSA’s recent decision to offer all of its services to both boys and girls of all ages for the first time in its long history,” the lawsuit said. “Indeed, even though GSUSA and BSA have congressional charters and separate grants of intellectual property rights that are specific to girls and boys, respectively, BSA is now using its trademarks in a manner that is both new and uniquely damaging to GSUSA, its trademarks and their underlying goodwill.”

Following the move to allow girls into its programs, the Boy Scout organization has attempted to swing its “core brand identity” toward the simple designation “scouts.” By the Girl Scouts' reckoning, the Boy Scout organization has no authority to do, according to the lawsuit.

www.foxnews.com...

The boy scouts have had law suits and pressure from many sources strongly encouraging them, almost forcing them to accept girls and now they're being sued.....because they accept girls. I realize it's an organization that is suing but does that override an individuals right to join a group of their choice? This is the girl scouts against letting girls be boy scouts. But I thought girls could be anything they wanted. And what is a girl.....aren't we all genderless?

It is so crazy right now.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I don't really see a lawsuit here, unless the Boy Scouts start selling cookies.

That could provoke violence. (I'd be forced to watch, out of morbid curiosity...)
edit on 6-11-2018 by madmac5150 because: Meow

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Liberal inclusion. Gotta love it.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Whomever is pushing the girl scouts to do this, some damn adult, needs to have duct tape put over their mouth. (actually, worse.)
Same with whomever pushed to have girls in the boy scouts.

So sick of this crap.
"Hey, this organization has been working for how many decades? Time to ruin it!)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hmm, didn't even hit reply twice.

Magic double post!

edit on 6-11-2018 by chiefsmom because: Double post

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So the girl scouts have a problem with inclusion?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
They'll both be shut down within a decade.

Can't have an organization based on gender anymore- too much plastic in the blood has made gender irrelevant.
Gender.
The guiding principle in procreation, required for continuation of the species.
Has become irrelevant.

Sucks to be anyone dealing with the law these days.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The only thing this is about is money.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
How ridiculous
Although one must consider this is in NY
And NY is becoming as ridiculous as the State they want to become
Cali...

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

The Boy Scouts were sued and forced to let girls join so now the Girl Scouts are suing the Boy Scouts for losing a lawsuits......uuhhh.

Man this country is funked up beyond recognition....

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The Girl Scouts have been fighting this the whole time. They do not want boys and girls in the same organization.

LINK

The Girl Scouts of the USA has issued a blistering rebuke of the Boy Scouts of America's decision to begin letting girls into the ranks of its troops.

"The Boy Scouts' house is on fire," Girl Scouts told ABC News in a statement today. "Instead of addressing systemic issues of continuing sexual assault, financial mismanagement and deficient programming, BSA's senior management wants to add an accelerant to the house fire by recruiting girls." ...

...The organization generates nearly $1 billion, half of its annual revenue, in sales from the famous Girl Scouts cookies.

Limiting a group to nothing but boys = bad
Limiting a group to nothing but girls = good

It's a no win situation. The Boy Scouts were foolish for even trying to be all inclusive. They are stuck right between two feuding factions. The group who thinks Boy Scouts are a misogynist group and condemn them for not including girls and the faction who thinks all boys are dangerous beasts. Both on the same side of the political spectrum.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

edit on 6-11-2018 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
There is a LOT of money at stake here.

This isn't about inclusion or any other BS they're trying to virtue signal about.

Bottom line is you have a multi million dollar cookie business, that uses free child labor as a sales force, trying to maintain it's cash flow.

Follow the money.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: StoutBroux

The Boy Scouts were sued and forced to let girls join so now the Girl Scouts are suing the Boy Scouts for losing a lawsuits......uuhhh.

Man this country is funked up beyond recognition....

Gotta love the hyper litigious nature this nation has adopted, it’s downright shameful like the rights auditors trolling for lawsuits don’t get me started on that mess...
Proud former BOYscout!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
There is a LOT of money at stake here.

This isn't about inclusion or any other BS they're trying to virtue signal about.

Bottom line is you have a multi million dollar cookie business, that uses free child labor as a sales force, trying to maintain it's cash flow.

Follow the money.

How does a dispute over the term scouts really affect their cookie sales? Unless I’m missing something...

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

How does a dispute over the term scouts really affect their cookie sales? Unless I’m missing something...

Loss of membership means lose of money collected means the executive team doesn't make a nice salary.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Loss of membership means lose of money collected means the executive team doesn't make a nice salary.

I was disputing the cookie sales part as stated by the poster not ancillary money makers.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I was disputing the cookie sales part as stated by the poster not ancillary money makers.

Less girls selling cookies means less cookie sales.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If I had 10 Girl-Scout cookies and you took half, what would you have.
Correct! A black-eye and a broken hand.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
If I had 10 Girl-Scout cookies and you took half, what would you have.
Correct! A black-eye and a broken hand.

A broken hand of mine would tend to indicate that I wouldn’t be the one with the black eye sir.😉

<<   2 >>

join