It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Targeting Birthright Citizenship With Executive Order

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Axios

Trump told "Axios on HBO" that he has run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed with the highly controversial move, which certainly will face legal challenges.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump said, declaring he can do it by executive order.

When told that's very much in dispute, Trump replied: "You can definitely do it with an Act of Congress. But now they're saying I can do it just with an executive order."

"We're the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States ... with all of those benefits," Trump continued. "It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous. And it has to end." (More than 30 countries, most in the Western Hemisphere, provide birthright citizenship.)

"It's in the process. It'll happen ... with an executive order."

The president expressed surprise that "Axios on HBO" knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one. "

Behind the scenes: "Axios on HBO" had been working for weeks on a story on Trump’s plans for birthright citizenship, based on conversations with several sources, including one close to the White House Counsel’s office.

I'm not sure where I fall on this. I understand the reasoning behind the decision such as curbing illegal immigration and "anchor babies", but I feel it would open a whole can of worms. I seriously doubt this would ever get pushed through, but you never know.

What's everyone's opinion?

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.
edit on 10/30/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Of course that would pave the way to be able to expel even citizens of the US who had lived there for generation's and is a very dangerous move to make or be allowed to make for the US since it would set a precedent and is actually against there founding principles as a nation of migrant's.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
seems to be a logical first step in the path to being able to restrict citizenship to a select few.

link   
Probably another extreme stance to use for negotiations for border security. That's assuming this is true considering Axios is the source used.

+3 more 
link   

So what will it take to be a citizen then? Are we at our quota? Because if its not people born here then who are our future citizens? And are you guys ready yet to admit hes a moron?
edit on 10302018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Seems like common sense to me. It's either that or get rid of welfare benefits for all citizens and non citizens.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

So what will it take to be a citizen then? Are we at our quota? Because if its not people born here then who are our future citizens? And are you guys ready yet to admit hes a moron?

It doesn't sound like this would have anything to do with the existing process of becoming an American citizen. Just those that are here illegally and having children. I'm not saying I'm for or against it. I'm still trying to form an opinion.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I think he's going for people that actually love and respect our country. Personally, I'm tired of allowing people to come into our country just to use up our tax money and burn our flags. I'm sure we can find better people.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Ha ha trump was the source. Do you dispute everything you disagree with just out of hand?
You should try a mini search at least before posting.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It would be that you become a US citizen when at least one of your parents are a US citizen.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

get rid of welfare benefits for all citizens and non citizens.

ya, let's do that... this dying slowly is for the birds and that would be the quickest way to blow our economy out of the water!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

He said people born here. That means you and me probably. Me for sure. I don't know where you were born.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Can you admit the USA cannot sustain the current immigration rush? 1.1 million in 2016.

Does it make sense for someone to illegally cross our border, have a baby the next day, and that baby is now a USA citizen?
I don't believe it's unreasonable to explore having only children of existing citizens be automatically granted USA citizenship.

link   

Ha ha trump was the source. Do you dispute everything you disagree with just out of hand?
You should try a mini search at least before posting.

I didn't disagree with anything. Feel free to read, comprehend, then respond.

+10 more 
link   
The "Birthright" is to do away with the illegal way that due to a child being born here from illegal aliens that ARE NOT citizens
Why do we consider them so ?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Well not quite since he tried to and still does claim that Barack Obama was not a citizen even though his mother was an American.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The answer is the second word of your post. Birthright.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Trump is wrong here.

It states rather simply in the 14th amendment. . .

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

-Wiki

Sorry Donny, but you'll lose this fight.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is God emperors way of weeding out leakers.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I am torn on this. I don't necessarily think illegal immigrants should be able to "give" citizenship to their children. HOWEVER, I think this is a terribly slippery slope. This is not what executive orders were made to do, IMO.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join