It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British man trapped in shed as 'slave' for 40 years, officials say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

British man trapped in shed as 'slave' for 40 years, officials say

Can we get some local perspective on this?

Police have rescued a British man who was likely trapped in a shed for 40 years and forced to work as a "slave", officials said. The 58-year-old man was inside with only a chair and soiled bedding. His rescuers found him Wednesday during a raid at a residential site near Carlisle in Cumbria, United Kingdom, the BBC reported.

40 years in a shed? That's ludicrous.

Authorities later arrested a 79-year-old man “on suspicion of modern slavery offenses,” saying he had held the man against his will for decades.

How would this be possible?
How would someone not report this?

Martin Plimmer, a senior investigating officer with the GLAA, said when rescuers found the man he appeared bewildered. "When we found him he was like a rabbit in headlights and very confused,” Plimmer said, according to the BBC. "He was just in the clothes he stood up in and where he was sleeping in the shed there was just a soiled duvet on the floor. "There was no heating and it was very cold. It was conditions that no human being should live in.” Plimmer said the man was likely forced to do unpaid work from the age of 16 or 17, based on information from officers. It was not immediately clear if the man attempted to leave at any point.

wow
Modern day indentured servitude?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Dude it's not hard to believe at all.

Messed up

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Granted none of them are spring chickens but you got to wonder how come the 58 year old did not just crack the old codger one and be on about his business.

I'm thinking the dude may have mental health issues then again no wonder after 40 years in a shed.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

....What kind of work was he being forced to do?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Granted none of them are spring chickens but you got to wonder how come the 58 year old did not just crack the old codger one and be on about his business.

I'm thinking the dude may have mental health issues then again no wonder after 40 years in a shed.

I think the mental abuse and loss of any self respect due to the entrapment and enslavement can quickly rob someone of the will to fight back against what becomes their norm.

This is goddam sad.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wow very sad. I wonder led to him being imprisoned by the psycho farmer at age 18. Is he the mans son or did he get abducted?
Lots of questions.

edit on 4-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

British man was found held in a shed for almost 40 years.

The Shedshank Redemption
edit on 4-10-2018 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It has been stated that the victim did have mental health problems and as such has been taken advatage of by a person not deserving of the freedom to breath

Want to show your strength tackle someone who can give you a fair fight

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The only local perspective I can add at the moment is that Cumbria is basically the Lake District, an area of mountain peaks and fells where a farmhouse might be fairly well isolated from the world.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thank you
Having not been to the UK I was wondering if places as you described existed there.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The guys probably been a few tinnies short of a six-pack and the older fellows obviously taken advantage.

That being said I'm sure others must have known or been involved regarding the length of time he's been in that shed.

It is sad indeed that human beings can treat one another in such a manner, even more sad that it's went on for 4 decades.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Not so much about showing strength as it is gaining your freedom and getting the hell out of there.

Must be more than just the 79 involved i imagine.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Gimp?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
freedom is slavery

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Crazy story. However, "modern day indentured servitude" or just plain human trafficking is at a high point in all of history. Just look at the Middle East. Dubai was built with slaves.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
This is goddam sad.

That, friend, it absolutely is.

I can only but imagine the mental state this bloke is in now. 40 years as a captive. His life now free, yet having only ever known life before it, as a 16/17 year old. So much lost, never to be regained. And only now, the end in sight. Hopefully he can embrace things, find joy in being relieved of that hell and opportunities before him.. but I fear it's too ingrained, and he is now, unsure and uncertain of everything.

edit on 4-10-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

If you wish to see modern-day indentured servitude look no further than zero hour contract employment combined with the minimum wage.

The difference being that type of indentured servitude is government sanctioned.

Still does not justify keeping someone locked away in a shed for 40 years though.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is so sad.
What about that poor mans family? They must have wondered where he was for so long, if he had any? So many questions not answered in this story. I hope more comes out, and he gets the help he needs.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Residential site...gypsies.
There's some down the road from me got done for slavery. Still got the range rover, Aston etc.

Filth like that need killing.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

May not have had any family when they found him, it happens, unfortunately.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join