It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 more states have launched investigations into clerical abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Justice is coming slowly for the victims of the Catholic clerical sex abuse crisis. Since a Pennsylvania grand jury report last month identified hundreds of priests accused of molesting at least 1,000 minors over the past seven decades in that state, several other states have announced their own investigations into historical Catholic clerical child sex abuse.

8 more states have launched investigations into clerical abuse

The article goes on to say that "nothing will likely come of the investigations" - no charges, no arrests, much less a wholesale dismantling of this "Church". Also "thousands of minors" is a gross understatement, considering that it has become known that the "Church" does not report on child abuse as long as a priest gives a confession. Confessions are confidential and not subject to publication. Moreoever, these U.S. cases should be seen in the context of a global epidemic engulfing the church. Example: Just recently 30 Chilean Bishops resigned over child abuse.

I consider the lack of outrage, the lack of broad consequences and the lack of justice for the victims as well as the shoddy reporting (not taking the global systematic context of this into consideration) a sign that we, as a whole, have become docile and complacent.
edit on 2018 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Ultimately, these investigations are unlikely to result in a great many arrests or convictions.

In the aftermath of the Pennsylvania report, state hotlines have been flooded with new allegations. And given the rate of revelations, it’s likely that the cases we know about are just the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

edit on 24-9-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: answer found in the article

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It's the same with Mormonism and many other religious denominations that have pull on the local government. Looks like my state is doing nothing about the local dioceses, especially since being paid off in at last one case- see here.

Pertaining to the statute of limitations;
Wonder if that can be up for being changed under certain circumstances such as these cases.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The size of what has gone on is beyond imagination.

There is a database of publically accused priests. This is just for the US and only Catholic.

Imagine the real numbers in all denominations.

This is not contained by only one religion... Or even by the church.
Abuse is so incredibly rampant.

I'm hoping the recent move to the mainstream is really about, at least trying, to put an end to it.

Database of Publicly Accused Priests in the United States

www.bishop-accountability.org...

The list is HUGE.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: tiredoflooking

I'm hoping the recent move to the mainstream is really about, at least trying, to put an end to it.

We need a new justice system.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
For some reason, pedophiles have targeted the priesthood to increase their ability to gain access to victims. I do not blame the Catholic church for anything other than covering this stuff up. The Church should have nipped this in the butt over forty years ago when they became aware of these kind of people going after minister jobs.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well it’s actaully pretty easy right?
Just keep your kids out of the church and they’ll be fine.

If they don’t have any kids to rape it won’t occur?
Let the Church dismantle itself

But if we wanna make it obvious I’m all for a good ‘ol church burning.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

You had me until the church burning part. Not a solution to this problem.

Keeping our kids and ourselves away will dismantle the church and make it harder for these pedos to do their evil deeds. Seems to run much deeper than just the church though.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have a close friend in PA that has been directly affected by this abuse and is on the forefront of the victims push to see some sort of justice done. The amount of abuse goes way beyond what the article indicates but I do agree, we'll most likely not see any punishment coming down from legal systems.

It's truly disgusting

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

perhaps they will finally get the rico they deserve

new topics

top topics

join