It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monte Anti Cristo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I've been searching for years!

Can it be there is not a single diner, cafe, breakfast house, waffle hut, pancake cottage, egg and bacon shanty (okay I made a few of those up)

that still has the integrity to make a Monte Cristo?!

As a kid this was a surefire brunch selection. But as the crisp, golden days of my youth slip away I've been ever-seeking to find the elixir of breakfast ecstasy I once knew.

-Sure you can find any combination of _______ + eggs any style

-build your own omelette

-pancakes extra

(don't even get me started on the tragic disappearance of Huevos Rancheros, but one thing at a time)

But my beloved Monte Cristos?

I nearly choked with delight seeing it on the menu of a little hole-in-the-wall I've never visited.

"Are you ready to order?"

And how!

But something was wrong, very wrong. What cruel joke of providence was this?

This thing presented to me was NOT a Monte Cristo.

You can't just layer the requisite ingredients together with cold pieces of French Toast and dare to call it the very Mountain of Christ!

What makes this sandwich truly beaming with divinity is the golden deliciousness of a deep-frying and light sprinkling of powdered sugar. I would even excuse the absence of a side of fruit or jam--but NOT frying the sandwich in a cocoon of batter is sacrilege.

I don't have tolerance for this kind of deceitful bullcorn at my breakfast counter!

Perhaps this restaurant took a page from the book of Dumas..and so like Edmond Dantes I will have my revenge!

edit on 19-9-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
funny

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
😆... is this the place you had breakfast at this morning ?

Too funny !

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
👌👌 You are the only other person I’ve met that is a monte cristo snob! I agree with your entire post. Monte Cristos cannot be made with French toast!

Best Monte Cristo ever is at the Blue Bayou restaurant in Disneyland, it’s inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
One of my favourite breakfasts however I’ve only had pan fried monte cristo so now I feel empty and hollow after reading your post.😩

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Oh yes the real monte christo is a thing of true beauty and flavor gasm delight!

I grew up in Santa Monica and the original Santa Monica Cafe on 27th street was one of the last places in town to get one, my gramma would take me there and Id eat a real monte christo while watching the adults. Happy memories, I recently returned to L.A. to find my beloved cafe and restaurant gone forever and the closest thing to a monte christo i could find was what you described the pale imposter of french toast encasing a stack of ingredients.

Now I just make them at home my family is addicted to them. I'm sure putting a real monte christo on the dinner table has saved my marriage since I think he only married me for my cooking anyway lol

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I went through this a couple years ago. Hadn't had one nor seen one since 1989. I had looked around a little bit but didn't see anything except this crappy breakfast place which supposedly had one but it's "their" take on it and more awful than what you described.

Since I have this internet thingy I thought why not use it to find one? So I did at Kathy's Hash House, not far from me either which was cool.

Scrumdillyecious! They also make homemade jams which is also cool. Not two weeks later I stropped at a bar after work to get some dinner and lo and behold, they have a Monte Cristo. Go figure that timing.

Now I'm craving one, thanks for that.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I love them.
But they make me ill..
even so, in a previous life I traveled all over the country for work, and sampled many variations of this plate monster.
Even a couple with CHEESE SAUCE poured all over.
They always made me feel like a ate a boulder.
yet I continued to order them.
glutton for punishment, in a literal sense.

new topics

top topics

join