It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery of 'tuneable' novel quantum state of matter...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Scientists discover a 'tuneable' novel quantum state of matter

Quantum particles can be difficult to characterize, and almost impossible to control if they strongly interact with each other—until now.

An international team of researchers led by Princeton physicist Zahid Hasan has discovered a quantum state of matter that can be "tuned" at will—and it's 10 times more tuneable than existing theories can explain. This level of manipulability opens enormous possibilities for next-generation nanotechnologies and quantum computing.

"We found a new control knob for the quantum topological world," said Hasan, the Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics. "We expect this is tip of the iceberg. There will be a new subfield of materials or physics grown out of this. ... This would be a fantastic playground for nanoscale engineering."

I'm no scientist but from what I'm reading we are about to see a real explosion in advanced technology, far beyond what we presently have. At the present rate of development it will only be a few short years before we see this becoming part of our everyday lives. Technology and computing will now move far beyond what we have imagined.

Magnetic fields influencing on this level eliminates large swaths of issues previously limiting the ongoing effort in miniaturization and maximizing computational processing. Another potential aspect is a much reduce demand on Global electrical grids while providing much more efficient electronics, manufacturing and possibly, later, household devices and lighting.

Not to mention new materials and potentially less environmental pollution through less [Pound, Melt, Grind] items into reality and more of build from the [Atom up]

This has implications for nanotechnology research especially in developing sensors. At the scale of quantum technology, efforts to combine topology, magnetism and superconductivity have been stymied by the low effective g factors of the tiny materials.

"The fact that we found a material with such a large effective g factor, meaning that a modest magnetic field can bring a significant effect in the system—this is highly desirable," said Hasan. "This gigantic and tunable quantum effect opens up the possibilities for new types of quantum technologies and nanotechnologies."

I hope you are ready, these developments will impact our lives in ways not yet dreamed of. Strange New world indeed.

AND..
The Band Played on...

New photonic chip promises more robust quantum computers

Scientists have developed a topological photonic chip to process quantum information, promising a more robust option for scalable quantum computers.

The research team, led by RMIT University's Dr Alberto Peruzzo, has for the first time demonstrated that quantum information can be encoded, processed and transferred at a distance with topological circuits on the chip. The research is published in Science Advances.

The breakthrough could lead to the development of new materials, new generation computers and deeper understandings of fundamental science. In collaboration with scientists from the Politecnico di Milano and ETH Zurich, the researchers used topological photonics - a rapidly growing field that aims to study the physics of topological phases of matter in a novel optical context - to fabricate a chip with a 'beamsplitter' creating a high precision photonic quantum gate.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
From the comment section of the Article:

Very exciting when experiment outruns theory. Perhaps the 0.4K picotorr setup can be shrunk, domesticated and even manufactured to permit this new effect to be used in many labs. These more-isolated-from-the-environment conditions would enable finding and applying not only the tunability from enhanced gyromagnetic factor and unusual square/parallelogram symmetry of the recent discovery, but potentially allow discovering other new quantum behaviors, e.g. in 1D and 3D systems, that only show up under those conditions. Perhaps sensors will be the first application but I think someone will find a way to turn these new effects to advantage in quantum computing, certainly the cryo and magnetic capabilities of their equipment would be useful..

Well, when the comments are as technical as the Article itself, I just throw in the white towel...

But, I’m responding just to say, “hi” my friend. It’s been a long time since we chatted.

Hope you and your boy are doing well.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Sounds very much like Bohmian mechanics and the pilot wave theory

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Waves hi. It's good to be seen. We're all good.

Hes off working on his PhD

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Being somebody that is well aware of the limitations of my intelligence when it comes to science, physics, maths etc(I do try and make up for it in other ways lol) I find new discoveries quite interesting even though my understanding of the processes involved is rather lacking.
My thoughts tend to dwell on what sort of practical applications could we expect to see from this growing understanding of the quantum realm?
Am i being cynical to think that it will be of benefit only to the high end esoteric science/computing/military pursuits or will the average person see some real change in the world around us and how we interact with it?
Don't get me wrong, i dont mind either way, its just we read about these amazing breakthroughs and are promised the world, but really I don't even know if they're already here but mundane and running quietly in the background, or if we're about to see a "quantum leap" in what is currently possible(I.e driverless transpot sensors/batteries/motors, communication technology, novel new fields of energy creation/storage, new realms of entertainment like "holodecks" and advanced VR etc etc).
Thanks OP for another thought provoking thread

edit on 16-9-2018 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I hope this does not get taken over by some black project to never be seen by us common folk for 50 years. The possibilities really are amazing just based on the article itself.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'm no genius but that's creepy.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

"The electrons decided to reorient themselves," Hasan said. "They ignored the lattice symmetry. They decided that to hop this way and that way, in one line, is easier than sideways. So this is the new frontier. ... Electrons can ignore the lattice and form their own society."

Society of Electrons that are 'different' can change... don't do what the lattice wants
Sjw PC for electrons

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

Well, the only one claiming "a real explosion in advanced technology, far beyond what we presently have" is the OP.

It is an interesting discovery. But as stated in the article "a lot of follow-up work needs to be done" to see where it leads.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: Osirisvset

Well, the only one claiming "a real explosion in advanced technology, far beyond what we presently have" is the OP.

It is an interesting discovery. But as stated in the article "a lot of follow-up work needs to be done" to see where it leads.

Thanks for the reply.
In my post i wasn't only referencing the discovery made in the OP but more like the many that have been made recently and those still in the making.
I'm just wondering what real world advances in technology we might expect to see from all this unraveling of the mysteries of the quantum universe in the next few years, or even decades.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I can't wait until nanomachines are injected into me to keep me healthy. I thought I would have to wait until the 2030's but if this is really such a leap then maybe late 2020's??? Either way nanobots will change everything.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I knew some here would appreciate the finding.
I hope all is well with you and yours.

As always, Stay tuned

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hopefully, one day this leads to better , more efficient ways of propulsion.

And maybe I will get my jet pack I was promised years ago. LOL !

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I'm holding out still for Hover Cars.

Hey, a guy can wish

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

A question for you...What if these nanobots alter your DNA when injected?

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Nano bots are too tiny to be sentient with our present level of technology, so, who programmed them to rewrite my DNA code?

>.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I was asking a hypothetical question.
edit on 16-9-2018 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

edit on 16-9-2018 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Slayer,I sometimes feel that technology is advancing too quickly.
Maybe we should take a break and let humanity catch up first.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

No argument out of me. I have no problem leaving everything at home some days and taking off to the woods. A good mountain hike is what I need on a weekly basis. Edgar Cayce Said, "Ground yourself with Nature daily"

Beautiful trails where I live.

edit on 16-9-2018 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join