It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette butts are among the most abundant types of human-produced garbage in the world's oceans.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Everyone has habits that are detrimental to our health and stress the environment in one way or another. It's just easier to pick on smokers.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

edit on 9/3/18 by Gothmog because: NVM not what they used to be made of - paper and cotton

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

In Edmonton this year, a few of the investigations into house fires, has turned out that a cigarette butt in a planter pot was the cause of those fires.
People often don't realize that it's not dirt, but peat.

People will go outside to smoke, thinking they're being polite not smoking in the house, put the butt down in the planter, then poof, there goes the house in flames later.
Whole houses lost because of it.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
personally i pocket my butts, toss em out later.

but in all honesty why should such a persecuted group such as smokers care? if smokers were treated fairly, then maybe people would have a right to expect them to not be dicks about it. i do know smokers that do feel they have the right to revenge themselves on the unfair treatment by tossing their butts everywhere. pretty much as a protest of that unfair treatment from todays "PC" society. it's about the only form of protest they have for things like unfair taxation in the form of sin taxes that have caused the price of cigarettes to skyrocket, with many people now having to pay $10 or more a pack, when the cost should be about $2-$3. every time you turn around smokers are not being allowed to smoke in more places, including their own homes and cars. they are forced to smoke out in the elements with no protection. in some places you can't even smoke in some highway rest areas now, so you have no choice but to either pull off unsafely on the side of the highway, or smoke while driving. so you don't want people to smoke in things like restaurants and workplaces because of secondhand smoke. that is fine, just put in places like they used to do where a smoker can smoke, without getting sick by being stuck out in the rain and snow, freezing their a%%es off. start treating smokers with just common decency and respect and perhaps they might start to care. heck, even just placing convenient places to safely throw butts would help.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If these people don’t care about their very own bodies, it should be clear that they won’t care about the environment.

Good point. It is sort of like asking why criminals aren't showing up for church. Hmm... I guess that was a bad example. Never mind. Matthew 13:24-30.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If these people don’t care about their very own bodies, it should be clear that they won’t care about the environment.

Their is a lot of truth in your post. If there is no respect for yourself it makes sense that respect will not be extended to anything else.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I field strip my cigarettes when I'm outside also .

But we must recycle because it could cause fatal harm to our environment .

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I smoke. When out in public when I finish a cig I snuff it out and put it in my pocket or an outside pocket of my purse until I get home and throw in the trash. But here is a solution: Growing up we collected cigarette butts in 5 gallon buckets and when about half full filled the buckets with water and let them sit for several days. We then poured the water around the perimeter of the gardens, around fruit trees and around the property lines. This kept away bugs, snakes and all sorts of crop ruining rodents. If more farmers did this on a larger scale we wouldn't need pesticides like Round Up any more. This is what all the old timers did when I was a kid and they all lived into their 90s and 100s.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Obviously its only the 'holier than thou' who care about things like the environment.

I always put cigarettes out in litter bins etc.

Its quite common for people to get on the spot fines where I live for discarding cigarette ends on the floor, there are plenty of litter bins all around the town.
No excuse for it.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I smoke. When out in public when I finish a cig I snuff it out and put it in my pocket or an outside pocket of my purse until I get home and throw in the trash. But here is a solution: Growing up we collected cigarette butts in 5 gallon buckets and when about half full filled the buckets with water and let them sit for several days. We then poured the water around the perimeter of the gardens, around fruit trees and around the property lines. This kept away bugs, snakes and all sorts of crop ruining rodents. If more farmers did this on a larger scale we wouldn't need pesticides like Round Up any more. This is what all the old timers did when I was a kid and they all lived into their 90s and 100s.

Wow!! You that is really interesting. A little resourcefulness and innovation go a long way. Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

We then poured the water around the perimeter of the gardens, around fruit trees and around the property lines. This kept away bugs, snakes and all sorts of crop ruining rodents. If more farmers did this on a larger scale we wouldn't need pesticides like Round Up any more. This is what all the old timers did when I was a kid and they all lived into their 90s and 100s.

No offense, as smoking is a strong addiction a lot of quite decent people have been addicted to, so not calling you bad, but if bugs, snakes and all sorts of rodents stay away, should this maybe tell YOU something? Is that a little like saying a bug or a rodent has one up on a smoker?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Woodcarver

Obviously its only the 'holier than thou' who care about things like the environment.

I always put cigarettes out in litter bins etc.

Its quite common for people to get on the spot fines where I live for discarding cigarette ends on the floor, there are plenty of litter bins all around the town.
No excuse for it.

I agree there is a lot of virtue signalling about the environment as well as political grandstanding.I understand that by the very act of living I am causing detriment of some sort. But it can also be about basic decency and keeping your town, city, yard or local park looking respectable. Like you said, there are enough alternatives that there isn't really an excuse except not giving a crap.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

We then poured the water around the perimeter of the gardens, around fruit trees and around the property lines. This kept away bugs, snakes and all sorts of crop ruining rodents. If more farmers did this on a larger scale we wouldn't need pesticides like Round Up any more. This is what all the old timers did when I was a kid and they all lived into their 90s and 100s.

No offense, as smoking is a strong addiction a lot of quite decent people have been addicted to, so not calling you bad, but if bugs, snakes and all sorts of rodents stay away, should this maybe tell YOU something? Is that a little like saying a bug or a rodent has one up on a smoker?

Point well taken. There has to be something in the cigarette residue that either kills or repells living things. I have always felt that the animal and insect population are much more tuned into what is good or bad for them than we are.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Melissa Shapero reacts with disgust after picking up a cigarette butt from the beach in Point Pleasant Beach N.J. as Sarah Steward holds a trash bag for her.

I can think of a lot worst things she could be picking up...lol

Cigs are bad all around, but hey, piles of #, used needles etc pretty bad, and it is not going to get better.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 14377
a reply to: tinner07

I field strip my cigarettes when I'm outside also .

But we must recycle because it could cause fatal harm to our environment .

I have been reading that China no longer wants all of our recyclable goods and that some companies picking up recycled stuff with the garbage are just throwing it in the landfills. Makes you wonder????

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Melissa Shapero reacts with disgust after picking up a cigarette butt from the beach in Point Pleasant Beach N.J. as Sarah Steward holds a trash bag for her.

I can think of a lot worst things she could be picking up...lol

Cigs are bad all around, but hey, piles of #, used needles etc pretty bad, and it is not going to get better.

I found a part of a syringe down on the remote beach near where I live... yeah, things can always be worse.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

I would say that since I don't do drugs, very rarely drink alcohol and eat a healthy diet and exercise I can smoke tobacco if I want to. Mice, bugs and rats will eat garbage and even carcasses of dead things so the comparison is ironic. The old timers (even those who did not smoke) collected the butts and they served a purpose- and eating the fruits and vegetables that they used the "butt water" on did not give them cancer and other tobacco related illnesses. There is a useful purpose for all things- even man made things- on the earth.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

Point well taken. There has to be something in the cigarette residue that either kills or repells living things. I have always felt that the animal and insect population are much more tuned into what is good or bad for them than we are.

Isn't it nicotinamide pesticides that have been positively correlated as, at least, an agent contributing to bee colony collapse disorder, if not the cause? As I recall, you can thank Bayer for that. Extrapolated, there may no longer be any fruit in the stores someday, but you can maybe still thank them for helping with your headache. As I recall, by sheerest coincidence, Bayer is adamant bees like nicotinamides, that it makes them grow strong and healthy.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Mice, bugs and rats will eat garbage

Will have to take your word for that, as I've never seen any of them in line at McDonald's.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

That makes sense because I have read recently that making plastics are now easier than recycling them .

Personally I think biodegradable plastics made from corn (PLAs) though a little more expensive should be used more extensively or even made mandatory .

It might cost us a few pennies more. But it could fill the gap for the farmers declining sales of high fructose corn syrup.

Improve the environment help the farmers .

I'm good with that .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join