It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman shot and killed her abusive husband. Now she faces murder charges.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Sad, someone has to defend herself only to face murder charges.

A black woman in Selma, Alabama, says she shot and killed her abusive husband because he charged at her and she feared for her life.

Now she’s facing a murder charge — despite living in a state with a “stand your ground” law in place, and despite a history of domestic violence, including a 2016 order of protection filed against her husband because he punched her in the face repeatedly.

Here’s what we know so far. On the morning of July 31, Jacqueline Dixon shot her estranged husband, Carl Omar Dixon, in the front yard of her home. According to Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson, the shooting took place after Carl Omar Dixon had reportedly found what he believed to be evidence of his estranged wife’s infidelity. He then allegedly charged at her aggressively, and Jacqueline Dixon shot him with a small-caliber handgun. (It’s not yet clear to whom the gun belonged — in Alabama, there’s no state-level requirement to either register handguns or apply for a gun license permit to purchase or own one.)

About this scumbag:

There was a history of domestic violence in the Dixon household — in 2016, Jacqueline requested an order of protection against Carl Omar, which was granted by a judge. She also received full custody of the couple’s two children. According to court records, Jacqueline requested the order after Carl Omar punched her in the face multiple times and swore at her repeatedly.

www.vox.com...

Meanwhile, we have people like that one lady who make false rape accusations who will only be serving one year in prison.

edit on 8/25/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

No doubt he is a scumbag. However, as old as I am, I always remember the one important thing the State Police told me in the early 80's. "If you have to shoot someone outside your door, drag their dead ass inside your house BEFORE you call us!".

Hopefully the Justus system will work out in her favor. But even way back then, it was a "thing" to NOT shoot someone outside your home.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

How about a link.

I will assume she hasn't been charged for anything yet so don't get your panties in a bunch

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In such a story is it relevant to put her race in the headline?

How do these cases usually go?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Put the link up in the OP. Apologies.

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's what the headline say in my link.
edit on 8/25/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
links for OP www.al.com...

A 38-year-old Selma woman is behind bars after police say she shot and killed her estranged husband in front of her home Tuesday morning. Selma police officers were dispatched at 8:30 a.m. to the home at 2113 Church Street, said Selma Police Chief Spencer Collier. Once on the scene, they found 44-year-old Carl Omar Dixon unresponsive in the front yard. He was pronounced dead on the scene. Investigator's took Jacqueline Dixon into custody at the scene. Collier said Jacqueline Dixon shot her husband with a small-caliber handgun. She claimed the victim had charged at her in an aggressive manner. Collier and Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson said Jacqueline Dixon did have a protection from abuse order against her husband, however it appears she did not seek enforcement of the order at times during her marriage. Jacqueline Dixon made the request for the protective order in 2016, according to court records, claiming Carl Omar Dixon had punched her in the face and called her curse words. She said he had done it multiple times but always came back. A judge issued the order against Carl Omar Dixon and awarded temporary custody of the couple's two young children to Jacqueline Dixon. Jackson said the couple had domestic issues in the past. He said Tuesday's argument possibly started after Carl Omar Dixon found a condom at his wife's house that did not belong to him and he thought she was cheating.

www.theroot.com...

Interestingly enough, Coller and the Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson acknowledge that Jacqueline Dixon did have an order of protection from abuse against her husband, however, according to authorities, she did not seek to enforce the order at times. Jacqueline Dixon requested the order in 2016, claiming that her husband punched her and cursed at her, something she says he had done several times, though he always came back. A judge issued the order and gave Jacqueline Dixon temporary custody of their two young children. “It is pretty clear that the judicial system worked in this situation because the protection from abuse order was in place. I am not sure which judge handled the matter, but I applaud him for doing his job,’’ Collier said to news site. “However, the order is simply a piece of paper if the complainant does not seek its enforcement. Regardless, it is a sad case and Selma PD joins the community in praying for both families.”
so perhaps her selectively enforcing the order of protetion had something to do with it? my ex lost her kids to cps for 7 months after letting her ex come see the kids on his birthday and xmas despite having a restraining order for him trying to choke and beat her in front of her kids repeatedly.

dont see a jury convicting her unless there is some detail were not getting like she shot him through a locked door or went out to the yard and double tapped in in the dome or something after he was down

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It takes two to tango, seems like the relationship has a history of being somewhat heated, chances are she gave as good as she got...

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Justice will prevail. Even if she is charged, no Alabama jury in their right mind would convict her.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Alabama? Right mind?

(Sorry, TheRedneck. Kidding.)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
However, as old as I am, I always remember the one important thing the State Police told me in the early 80's. "If you have to shoot someone outside your door, drag their dead ass inside your house BEFORE you call us!".

Now a days, it's probably safer to drag to the curb and let someone else call the police.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If it turns out that it happened as it sounds at face value, I'm sure she'll be acquitted.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
So, she never had a chance to leave the loser? She was held at gun point to stay? She was chained up in the basement? I'll never understand why people stay with scum bags and abusers. In any case, if me as a CCW holder are instructed to walk away from danger and not to go in guns ablaze, she should see time behind bars. She had ample opportunity to leave the situtation and that's what the prosecutor will argue.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

When there is an order of protection in place if the person who got the order still allows the party in question to come around then they also are breaking the law by violating the order. Had a friend back in the day who had an order of protection against her husband (who beat her to an unrecognizable state many times) but she kept allowing him to come back around. When on one of these occasions he beat her yet again and she called the police they were BOTH arrested for violating the order. The door swings both ways.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Well, this is the purpose of a court. Ultimately, the jury will decide whether this woman committed murder, or not. If so, and whether there were extenuating circumstances which will reduce the sentence will be up to the judge.

These type of cases regularly turn up in court in the UK where murder, is considered to be murder. You cannot take away the fact that someone was killed, regardless of the situation. Diminished responsibility or mitigating circumstances are part of the legal proceedings within the trial.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I think this should be a lesson for all thinking about using a firearm to defend yourself. Even if you are 100% in the right (I'm not saying if this woman was.) Even if you are justified, expect that you may be arrested anyway and have to defend yourself in court.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

I think this should be a lesson for all thinking about using a firearm to defend yourself. Even if you are 100% in the right (I'm not saying if this woman was.) Even if you are justified, expect that you may be arrested anyway and have to defend yourself in court.

I totally agree. But I will also say this. I'd rather be around to defend myself in court than be dead letting the other guy defend himself in court. So if there is any doubt my life might be taken, I would not have a hard time pulling the trigger, several times.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Wouldn't a man shooting abusing wife face murder charges?

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I was a child of this $h!t. I don't care how heated it gets. It's NEVER an excuse for violence.

That said, it's really too bad she couldn't just wing him. I'd have loved for this POS to play don't drop the soap in prison.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

originally posted by: toms54

I totally agree. But I will also say this. I'd rather be around to defend myself in court than be dead letting the other guy defend himself in court. So if there is any doubt my life might be taken, I would not have a hard time pulling the trigger, several times.

Agreed. I carried a gun for 20 years. Luckily never needed it.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I was a child of this $h!t. I don't care how heated it gets. It's NEVER an excuse for violence.

That said, it's really too bad she couldn't just wing him. I'd have loved for this POS to play don't drop the soap in prison.

Oh yeah...piss him off even more and get beat to death with your own gun.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join