It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those with faith in God: God and the concept of time.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I had asked this question in the philosophy room, didn't get anywhere with it. Instead of constructively trying to answer the question, the posters would try to hijack the thread and try to dismantle or refute my belief in God, which isn't the question. A debate on the existence of God is a totally different thread.. Admins feel free to close that thread in philosophy section.

Time is a human construct. Since God lives outside of our concept of time (He is in past, present, and future) when we die we go to be with Him in heaven, will my relatives that are still here on Earth the moment I die be in heaven/purgatory/hell when I get there? I ask since there is no time in heaven and now I’m outside of time. Another question, will I just go to the end of time and final judgement?

We might call the time beyond time Eternity. I suppose we might call living in such a dimension eternal life. So, perhaps the question might be rephrased this way, without stretching too far beyond what you’re asking:

When I get to Eternity, will I be omnipresent like God is omnipresent? In other words, will I become more like God?

I guess the answer to another question might help us answer that question:

Is God eternal because of where He lives or because of who He is?
edit on 22/8/18 by RobFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RobFox

Time is still no human construct. Just ignore me I'm just curious what the real believers have to say to you claiming to be god.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Time is merely a construction made by man to help us stay organized and survive. Need proof? Look no further than the theory of relativity itself. The theory of relativity essentially boils down to time changes based on perception. The key word being perception. Time changes based on how we perceive it. If time was an actual tangible thing, then it would not be changeable by our perception, but it does. Why? Because time was something we made up. We looked at our world and tried to structure it in a way that made sense. What we perceived to be time was time, and has been time ever since we conceptualized it. Time is a beautiful man-made concept that has allowed us to survive and thrive, but its a human invention all the same. Now some people may argue that the same thing could be said about gravity. Gravity is only what we perceived as gravity, a construct of our imagination designed to help us understand our world. The difference between gravity and time is that gravity has measurable effects that can be re-created time and time again. It exists everywhere and there is irrefutable proof for it. Time, on the other hand, does not have any tangible evidence. Only what we perceive to be as time.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Heaven's Location is given in Genesis. It's right here. We make it a living hell. On Earth as it is in Heaven ONLY if EVERYONE lives by the Golden Rule. Life is simple, but the mark of Cain and the divided mind of good and evil complicates things. Time doesn't exist as it's another human misrepresentation of cycles. There is no death just a transition, into another life to try again. So the time is always at hand to do what is right.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

No. Time changes with gravity. Atomic clocks measure time not your perception.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Nope. Disagree. Because time starts somewhere, in our heads. The concept was made by us. Again stop hijacking the post with your own personal rants and move on.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It's called gravitational time dilation. One would think you as one death away from becoming god would know that?

I said ignore me... you like me too much eh?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Since the resurrection of Jesus all who die get judged at time of death. They do not wait and sleep in their grave like those who do .... that died before Christ death.

Remember Jesus telling the thief being crucified that this day he will be with him in paradise? A small secret from the cross.

Heaven is NOT on earth. God made the heavens. A separate place where God and his angels reside. They do not live on earth.

edit on 22-8-2018 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Is there time in heaven though for us?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I agree that God must be outside time, since time is one of the dimensions of the created world.
All we are told about the afterlife is that we will be "in the presence of God".
It does make sense that people would arrive in his presence simultaneously, from a subjective point of view.
I think the answer to your last question is that eternity is not a place, just the presence of God, as above. So God IS eternity, rather than being there.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
There are a lot of God haters on this site. I am not religious, but it has been my experience that spiritually immature people enjoy flaunting their self-perceived superiority over others. I would report the disruptive folks to the mods.

Stay strong to your beliefs whatever they may be. Only you can choose your spiritual path.

edit on 2018/8/22 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Time is in fact a human construct, people mistake motion for time. They ask well what about night and day and that is just caused by motion. They ask what about aging and that is merely entropy. Time is a human construct.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Lets use a balloon for example.

Say the universe is a balloon. It expands or contracts. Say that balloon is time and space, as we define the expanse of the universe. The person holding that balloon is outside of time and space.

However.... I can't say that this person does not also have their understanding of their own time. I guess that gets in to multiple universes and that's too big to try and understand that.

A sphere within a sphere within a sphere. It does mention that there are multiple levels of heaven and hell somewhere...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobFox

Nope. Disagree. Because time starts somewhere, in our heads. The concept was made by us. Again stop hijacking the post with your own personal rants and move on.

So theoretically, if you disbelieve in time enough, then you will be immortal? That seems to be what you are saying.

There is no spoon, er, time.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No that is not true, Entropy still rules the universe and things will always go from order to disorder ( what we call death) We are still around just in the form of energy( remember e=mc2, matter can neither be created or destroyed , only transformed) People mistake motion and entropy for time. But nice try at being condescending and adding nothing to the conversation. Not everyone's brains can grasp the concept that time is not real. Even Einstein said that "time is merely an illusion Albeit a very persistent one"

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Time and entropy is our perception of the Fall; in other words we only experience these in the flesh when separated from our godhood.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Is God eternal because of where He lives or because of who He is?

God is eternal because of who He is. Because He is God, He has the ability to create a place for us to live in all eternity with Him. Read all of 1 Corinthians, chapter 15 in the Bible, for a detailed explanation of how/when God will become all in all for those who have accepted God/Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

edit on 22-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Time is a human construct. Since God lives outside of our concept of time (He is in past, present, and future) when we die we go to be with Him in heaven, will my relatives that are still here on Earth the moment I die be in heaven/purgatory/hell when I get there?

Once you die, you will no longer be held under the constraints of time. For your loved ones who remain on earth, they will continue to live under the constraints of time while they are still living on earth.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The game is to be sold, not told.

What are you bartering with? Use your fear. Spend it til its gone.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

While it is true that time is a human construct and a property of the world, there still must be some kind of time in heaven. We are told there is a resurrection of saints (the elect) and then later there is another universal resurrection and judgement. How could this be true with no time?

We are told of a millennium. How could this be true with no time?

"Another question, will I just go to the end of time and final judgement?" That is what I believe. Another part of the Bible speaks of paradise. I think that is the same thing. You go right to one resurrection or the other.

"When I get to Eternity, will I be omnipresent like God is omnipresent? In other words, will I become more like God?" Paul says we will be like Jesus. I think this means we will have a spiritual body. We will not be like God. There is only one god. You may share some qualities, you were after all made in his image but where the Bible says "you are gods" I read that in a possessive way like you belong to god. I don't think that means you are a god or equal to god. However, like I said, you were after all made in his image.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join