It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Rolls Out First Upgraded Tu-22M3M Long-Range Bomber

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Russia Rolls Out First Upgraded Tu-22M3M Long-Range Bomber

Looks like Russia is upgrading their Tu-22M3M fleet with some new technology. Some 30 planes will be upgraded.

According to the article the upgrades will be. New navigation, communication and targeting equipment, new engine and fuel consumption control systems and radio-electronic warfare means. Giving the Tu-22M3 the ability to launch precision-guided air-launched cruise and ballistic missiles as well as long-range anti-ship missiles.

The first prototype of Russia’s upgraded Tupolev Tu-22M3M long-range strategic and maritime strike bomber was rolled out at the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) plant in Kazan on August 16, according to a Russian aerospace and defense company Tupolev statement.

The lead Tu-22M3M is expected to be transferred to the Russian Air Force for ground and flight testing in the coming weeks, following preliminary flight tests. The maiden flight of the first Tu-22M3M is scheduled to take place in the third quarter of 2018, with the first aircraft expected to be delivered to the Russian Air Force by the end of October.

edit on 21-8-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

We'll see how long it takes to get these built, the Russian economy being the way it is.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hawkguy

Well it's upgrades of systems it seems.

The engine will be the same. I'm assuming that means they will be able to finish this around the estimated time frame. Maybe add on a year. Just in case.

edit on 21-8-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

According to TASS Russian News Agency, the TU22-M3M will also get some form of AI.

tass.com...

Is this just for avionics or is it for weapons ?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

I don't know.

I'd hazard a guess that, since they are adding EW, it will probably help in that roll.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I don't know.

I'd hazard a guess that, since they are adding EW, it will probably help in that roll.

I concur with that theory, it’s really the only way it makes sense.
edit on 8/21/2018 by BigDave-AR because: Spelling fail

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I don't know.

As long as they dont have it in charge of any nukes on board

AFAIK I dont think the Russians are at the top of the field with AI. In no particular order, I think the top four are US, China, UK and Japan.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

I don't know.

It will absolutely be helpful in that role and may well be, but everybody has been using "AI" for things like target discrimination for decades. Just marketing talking.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: nelloh62
According to TASS Russian News Agency, the TU22-M3M will also get some form of AI.

I think they are mistaking an upgrade to Windows XP.

In all seriousness, I wonder if any of these improvements have come out of the Chinese H-10 programme in a reciprocal agreement. Regardless, the design of the TU22 is fifty years old, so much turd polishing methinks.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: nelloh62

I think they are mistaking an upgrade to Windows XP.

In all seriousness, I wonder if any of these improvements have come out of the Chinese H-10 programme in a reciprocal agreement. Regardless, the design of the TU22 is fifty years old, so much turd polishing methinks.

Well if we want to talk age the BUFF is the penultimate old fogey still kicking arse and taking names.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

I don't know.

It will absolutely be helpful in that role and may well be, but everybody has been using "AI" for things like target discrimination for decades. Just marketing talking.

Yeah it’s become quite the buzzword in recent years, hopefully they’re not running the Aliens: Colonial Marines miscoded AI lol.
edit on 8/21/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

The AI in taht can be fixed, apparently, with a single word fix in the scripting. Totally OT, but...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

The AI in taht can be fixed, apparently, with a single word fix in the scripting. Totally OT, but...

That was part of the joke and yes the correction makes the AI better, but it’s still an ungodly mess, being better than the worst AI in any triple A game in years isn’t saying a whole lot. It was a ridiculous affair all around though especially considering the game was in the works for a decade if memory serves, crazy stuff.
To keep from straying too far off topic: Any info on the targeting pod upgrade? Is it just a laser designator?

ETA:

a reply to: hawkguy

Well it's upgrades of systems it seems.

The engine will be the same. I'm assuming that means they will be able to finish this around the estimated time frame. P

I thought it was being reengined?
edit on 8/21/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Maybe they'll go with the new NK-32 they are planning for the Swan upgrade.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

They're getting the NK-32-02 engines actually.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So does this make them the equivalent of our B1R?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

In some ways.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I was going by what the article said. They claim that the Tu-22M3M "has not been fitted with new engine(s)". Even though I notice now that in the prior paragraph they do say there will be new engines..... /facepalm.

According to Tupolev, 80 percent of the Tu-22M3M’s avionics equipment has been replaced with parts similar to that of the Tupolev Tu-160M2 long-range supersonic strategic bomber. However, unlike the future variant of the latter, the Tu-22M3M has not been fitted with new engine and will continue to fly with its two Kuznetsov NK-25 turbofan engines.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I was going by what the article said. They claim that the Tu-22M3M "has not been fitted with new engine(s)". Even though I notice now that in the prior paragraph they do say there will be new engines..... /facepalm.

According to Tupolev, 80 percent of the Tu-22M3M’s avionics equipment has been replaced with parts similar to that of the Tupolev Tu-160M2 long-range supersonic strategic bomber. However, unlike the future variant of the latter, the Tu-22M3M has not been fitted with new engine and will continue to fly with its two Kuznetsov NK-25 turbofan engines.

I reread the article again it was worded sloppy causing the confusion I believe the article states it’s getting new engine management gear.
ETA-

upgrades include new avionics, digital radio-navigation equipment, a new communications suite, engine, controls and a new updated weapon control system

edit on 8/22/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

Okay now I’m more confused lol
edit on 8/22/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

New engines, new controls.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join