It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter, 94, lives in the same $167,000 two-bedroom ranch house he built before his presidency

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

According to the Democratic President, his financial affairs were in tatters when he left the White House - Carter was President from 1977 to 1981.

Returning to Plains at 56, he came back to a peanut business that was $1million in debt and was forced to sell.

Carter decided that his income would come from writing, and he has since written 33 books on a variety of subjects - although not as successfully as modern Presidents.

On top of his writing revenue, the 39th President of the United States also commands a $210,700 annual pension which all former presidents receive.

But despite his sizeable income, Carter said he was determined to live a modest life in the south Georgia township.

Carter is also the only president in the modern era to return full-time to the house he lived in before he entered politics - a two-bedroom cottage assessed at $167,000.
While I'm not the biggest Jimmy Carter fan, I can applaud him for all the work he has done post presidency. That and the Camp David Accords.

He seems to be a very humble and modest man.

Just thought I'd share.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

While he may not have had the most fruitful presidency, I think he is someone people can look up to the most out of recent presidents.

The man went to the hospital for heat exhaustion (or something of the sorts) while helping build houses for habitat for humanity.... he back to it when he was released.

Best part that was last year.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We actually just helped on a Habitat for Humanity project in our own town just two weeks ago. It is a very good program he founded.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We actually just helped on a Habitat for Humanity project in our own town just two weeks ago. It is a very good program he founded.

His legacy is as good as any in my book.

edit on 20-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Decent human being, worthless as # president.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

This guy knows how to buzzkill^^^^

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

This guy knows how to buzzkill^^^^

Sorry, but it's true. He's also been a pain in the wazoo to subsequent presidents, primarily by interfering in foreign policy. When Obama became President, Bush said to him, "Carter is going to be your problem."

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'd say more than decent as a human being. He's done a ton of good with Habitat for Humanity and the organization will live on after him. More than you can say for other former Presidents.

link   

Yeah, I don't agree much with him, but I also don't doubt that he really does mean what he says with the best of intentions. He's trying to make things better and genuinely wants to be helpful which is more than I can say for almost every other politician I smell out there.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yeah, but not worthless because he wasn't trying to really do the right thing.

I'd rather have a guy who was really trying his best to do the right thing and ended up failing then one like our last president who simply wanted power for government and screwed things up royally while he was at it.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
He always seemed genuine to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I didn't think he was a very good president but I've never heard a negative thing about the man on a personal level.

I will always say he handled the three mile island incident perfectly.
He went to the site and talked to the people involved during the crisis.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

True on both accounts.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

He stayed pretty much out of any spotlight and as far as I remember, didn't comment much one way or the other on most President's after him. It's not like he led national debates on a president's actions.

Yes, he wasn't a good President, that doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. You can seperate the two. Post Presidency, he's done a lot of good.
edit on 20-8-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

He comments on things and the press trots those comments outs. It's not like he's silent.

But I don't recall him directly criticizing a president.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
......making me defend Jimmy Carter... I knew starting this thread was going to be a bad idea.

He stayed humble and true to his roots, for that I can appreciate what he has done.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

He comments on things and the press trots those comments outs. It's not like he's silent.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Probably didn't articulate it well. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
......making me defend Jimmy Carter... I knew starting this thread was going to be a bad idea.

He stayed humble and true to his roots, for that I can appreciate what he has done.

Carter is in Georgia and GW is off in Crawford I think. They've been mostly out of the spotlight.

Obama ... on the other hand ...

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

He really was quite earnest. He had deep commitment but no leader. With a rudderless country, we fell into a deeper depression and loss of worth as countrymen. That's why Ragean was so important and beloved.

He knew where home was. Obama can't leave Washington and he certainly is totally avoidng Chicago. Even Both Bushes went home after their stints in the White House as did Ragean.

Obama truly stands out as the only president in modern history to eschew his adopted state when he left for Washington. Funny how no one ever talks about that little tidit-not even his buddies in Chicago. He has no plans to ever return.
edit on 20-8-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Really?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Hell, look at his Wiki page...
en.wikipedia.org...

He's been one of the most sour grapes former POTUS members ever, consistently interjecting his opinion into his successor's job evaluations.

The only good thing I can say from Carter's presidency is that it only lasted one term. Otherwise, horrendous POTUS who only snuck in to the office because Gerald Ford had the personality and vibrancy of a zombie and the public at large was still desperately trying to get the taste of Tricky Dick out of their mouths.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join