It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music experiment: Sends shivers down your spine, makes your hair stand up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Current events lead me to a little experiment to gather some data.

1) Do you know the feeling above while listening to a special song or part of that song?
2) Is it somehow repeatable on a regulary base?
3) Do you remember the title and or exact location of that song / part?

Can you answer all those three questions with yes? Perfect, I want to ask for your help.
Would you be comfortable to share that exact part for a little experiment? Anonymous of course.

I want to collect those samples and run all of them through a spectrograph and get it analyzed on matching patterns. Maybe I find a common variable / pattern, I can´t tell you what I´m exactly looking for because I don´t know.

As a sort of trophy for those willing to send me the timespan and the name of the song anonymous on a protonmail account, I would in return send you a very detailed spectrogram on the audio sequence that I extracted.

goosebump_spectrometer ..at.. protonmail.com
I need:
Author + Songtitle
the exact position where you got goosebumps. Give me a time (0:32) and or a hint where it starts.

Why all that?

a) I´m curious about the phenomena
b) I need data for another project I´m currently onto.

I hope some want to participate, it doesn´t take much time

Edit: To clarify, It´s a non commercial project that I do out of curiousity and I do not earn any money with it nor do I plan it. I will do a thread on the topic here on ATS and I will publish any findings, exclusive here on ATS.
edit on 18-8-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It´s also fine to post here if you are okay with that, just saying

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Look up the 'brown noise'.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There has been extensive research on this. The action is called a “frisson” and occurs because certain tones and tonal qualities release dopamine in the brain. About 50% of people experience these “chills” while listening to some music. In these people there are more connections in the brain between the audiotory cortex and other neural regions.

I don’t know if research has been done on specific tones or chords. I’d be interested to know also.
edit on 8182018 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Never happened to me but would be interested in what sounds cause it, good luck

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc
Thank you for your input, I´ll look into this.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Song: Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
Starts: 1:41
Wears off until ~2:00

And the first official entry:
Hazel O'Connor from the album Breaking Glass
Song: Will you
currently processing

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I was in the 9th grade so 1986 the song was the Eagles "Hotel california".I Was quite inebriated but not from alcohol

I was in the backseat of my friends moms car just enjoying the song for the 1st time ever.

When the lyrics say "They stab it with their steely knives but they just cant kill the beast" And then the little drum solo gave me chills .

I remember it vividly..
edit on 18-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

You should look into voluntary piloerection

It takes a little time but you can induce that "tingling" sensation at any time and for extended durations. The longest I've ever maintained it is about 3 minutes. This inquiry leads to many other questions. If you have disbelief, be prepared to suspend it lol

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
And the first official entry:

Song: Hazel O'Connor - Will you
0:38 - 0:45

Comment: Red line is first detected saxophone tone. Beautiful saxophone. The word shiver is contained in the lyrics, nice synchronity.

Thank you

You will receive and email when I´ve done the high resolution run.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Second verse and chorus of Under the Bridge.

ETA: I mistakenly replied to an individual post and not the thread. Carry on
edit on 18-8-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I had one chick describe it in lieu to the vocals in the song setting her off, meaning personal emotional response being involved.

Although I mainly listen to exotic musicks almost completely lacking "lyrics" and experience it too.

She didnt like me pointing that out.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Even if your experiment turns up nothing, it is obvious that music can have a very powerful effect on most people. There is nothing quite like it.

I have to liken the best music to riding waves. And that is probably exactly why different people can have such different tastes. We do not all ride the same waves.

"I'll ride the wave where it takes me. I'll hold the pain, release me. -Pearl Jam, Release. youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
...the Eagles "Hotel california"....
When the lyrics say "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can kill the beast" And then the little drum solo gave me chills .
I remember it vividly..

Had to track it down:

The Eagles "Hotel California"
Start: 3:50
End: 3:55
Comment: Although it says studio quality, it´s really bad quality. I have to get back on this one...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
A little note:

I appreciate all the input but without precise numbers I fear that the data will be useless.

That´s why I will only use definitive start points like "when the saxophone starts" or "the drums after sentence xy".

Those are fine. If you want to go the extra mile and have the audio playing, it would spare much time and effort if I could get the starting point. Then I can just type in the yt url and the starting point, all done.

All the others are very time intensive to track down and figure out where to start and end the sampling. I´ll do them when I have more time.

Keep in mind, as a thumb rule, a second, depending on the sampling rate and frequency range, will be roughly 5-200Mb data points to chew through and compare the hell out of it.

A simple drum solo will process in 30sec , the saxophone one, roughly 7 seconds, took nearly 5 minutes because of the speech and complexity of the waveforms involved.

For the The Eagles-Hotel California, it took 2 minutes to track down the correct position by hand alone.

edit on 18-8-2018 by verschickter because: typo (there are more...)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Keep in mind, as a thumb rule, a second, depending on the sampling rate and frequency range, will be roughly 5-200Mb data points to chew through and compare the hell out of it.

So if someone writes "the second verse" and it happens that this verse takes 45 seconds, we´re talking about roughly 5-7 hours processing time and looking at 9 gigabyte to chew through (!).

That´s not the idea, I basically need the start and then I´ll add some extra seconds.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Sorry dude, granulating it to the precise, metronomic moment where (insert said musical instrument) I get that feeling isn’t a science. It’s an art. That’s the beauty of music.

But to help you in your quest, I give you the exact parameters and the linked video — you’re smart enough to figure it out.

Love the thread premise

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
A 70's glam / 80's hair metal fan here.
For me it's usually the singers' talent and versatility that does it for me.

Ronnie James Dio wroe / recorded with Prophet, Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath (2 different eras), solo as DIO, and Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath with a new name, for legal reasons). He had a unique and often haunting voice that could evoke emotion. He was a small man (4'11'), and never warmed up before a show, smoked and drank for years, yet his voice got stronger as it matured.

His solo song ''Don't talk to strangers""

www.youtube.com...
edit on 18-8-2018 by Brywilson2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Andreas Vollenweider, Pearls and Tears, 1:50 to about 3:05. I hope that's not too long.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Very interesting synchronisity , I was thinking about how music has shaped our lives, lol, and possibly " brainwashed " us on some levels....different angle then where you're going, but this song popped in my head today. I very VIVIDLY being "affected" by this song in gradeschool, probably 10 yrs. old and to this day I still remember the "emotion" I felt. lol...I was a happy kid too !

@ 2:06

This is just one of MANY songs actually that seemed to heavily cause emotions. Once I discovered Led Zepplin.....LOL...well that's another story ! I was " dazed and confused " for a few years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join