It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The RIAT 2018 photo thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My first time at RIAT for 13 years,last time I went the Greeks were still flying Phantoms!

I found it a bit disappointing.No B52 (he needed to get in first as they had to fit everything else around it).No B1 in the flying display and no U2 despite it apparantly being the only plane that's actually based there.All jet fighters look the same now (to me anyway) as the Gripen and Typhoons use the canard layout,so we saw lots of European airforces with identical looking aircraft doing almost identical flying displays.Some F16s and F18s thrown in for good measure,but still in my opinion not as much variety as there was on my last visit.Oh and the Osprey only flew a proper display once when I was off the base? Over all too much small stuff and not enough heavy stuff for my taste.
I was there for four days,and despite having an allocated seat in the FRIAT grandstand at exact display centre,it really was too long,so if I go next year I'll probably only go Sunday and Monday.
The Su27 Flankers were the star of the show for me,incredibly agile for such a big plane.And as always seeing and hearing that many Merlin engined planes in the air at the same time always gives me goose bumps.

My photos on Flickr at the link below......

RIAT 2018 photos
edit on 19-7-2018 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

Looks pretty cool to me. A lot of variety.

What's the 4 prop transport almost every European country seems to fly, that are in the pictures?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

You probably mean the Airbus A400M Atlas.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Anyone else with photos from RIAT 2018 please feel free to add them to this thread so it keeps it all nice and neat with everything in one place.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your experience, some pictures are amazing.

I wonder what the big Jet is that has a aerodynamic look but a very extensive belly, not seen something like that before, the picture has Number 1473. On other odd ball to me is Picture number 1510, is that like some kind of training plane?
Again thanks for sharing!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimens

Thank you for your comments,I will be getting round to putting descriptions and plane types on all the photos when I get time.

1473 is a Bombardier BD700 Sentinel R1,which is a surveillance aircraft so the various lumps and bumps are radar domes.
1510 is an OV10 Bronco which was used for close air support (kinda like an A10 with props).This particular one still carries German military markings,but is actually civilian registered and owned.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your awesome photos from RIAT. You have taken some beauties!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

Yep that's it. Seemed like at least 5 nations had the same bird there. They should coordinate better at airshows.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
Thanks for sharing your awesome photos from RIAT. You have taken some beauties!!!

Thank you for taking the time to say so!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Yep that's it. Seemed like at least 5 nations had the same bird there. They should coordinate better at airshows.

You must be looking at the C130 Hercules in that case,which there must have at least ten different nations air forces attending with them.From memory the only A400Ms were our RAF and the Luftwaffe.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

No worries, thanks for taking the time to post those lovely pics, having trouble picking a favourite!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

having trouble picking a favourite!

Let me know when you do please!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Very nice!

Some great shots in there!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You must be looking at the C130 Hercules in that case,which there must have at least ten different nations air forces attending with them.From memory the only A400Ms were our RAF and the Luftwaffe.
Do C130's have the landing gear footies too?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Very nice!

Some great shots in there!

originally posted by: Forensick
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for looking and commenting!
edit on 21-7-2018 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Do C130's have the landing gear footies too?

Sorry not by my PC at the moment so can't post specific photos,but image no.1269 is a Hercules and image no.1262 is the A400M

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

How does the "thing" in photo 1849 get into the air, and stay up?? I think my favourite has to be photo 1605, but I also love the vampires in photo 1590, any of the B1-B pics too, as I saw it's first appearance at RIAT a fair few years ago now.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

How does the "thing" in photo 1849 get into the air, and stay up?? I think my favourite has to be photo 1605, but I also love the vampires in photo 1590, any of the B1-B pics too, as I saw it's first appearance at RIAT a fair few years ago now.

If they haven't done anything about that famous hump backed bridge near RAF Odiham,the "thing" shouldn't have any trouble getting airborn!!!

I liked the Vampires as well.They're slow enough for my camera's auto focus to keep up with them,something it can't do with the more modern jet fighters.

The BBMF flypast in 1605 is also present as a video I hope.I've only just finished going through the still photos,and hopefully the same (or similar) will be present with moving pictures and the sweetest music soundtrack you've ever heard!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
At last the video is ready.Please read the description on Youtube befre making any comments.

join