It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Meteorologist Explains Why the Extreme Heat is Way Worse Than You Think

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As, I write this it is 97 degrees coming down from a high of 107. It’s 7:00 pm and hopefully it will go down another ten degrees. Yesterday/this morning at midnight it was 97 degrees down from 115 degrees during the day. I live where it does get hot in summer, but this is new and scary. It’s not getting cool at night and it always has before except in the rarest cases.

I found this article in Mother Jones”

Factual Reporting: HIGH
Notes: Mother Jones is a politically progressive American magazine reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture.  Mother Jones is published by the Foundation for National Progress (FNP), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Mother Jones has been a finalist for 31 National Magazine Awards, winning seven times. Mother Jones provides in depth journalism that mostly favors the political left. We cannot find any evidence of Mother Jones making false claims and when in error they correct appropriately. This is a factual source that is always well sourced. (5/13/2016) Updated (4/25/2017)

mediabiasfactcheck.com...

Dated 7/6/18 the headline is:

This Meteorologist Explains Why the Extreme Heat Is Way Worse Than You Think
“I’ve never seen something like this on this kind of scale.”

In an interview with meteorologist, Nick Humphrey, writer Dan Spinelli shares:

The past seven days have set global heat milestones and sparked safety concerns from Quebec, where at least 34 people have died in the province from the heat and humidity, to northern Siberia, home to the coldest town on Earth, which recorded temperatures “40 degrees above normal” on Thursday. 

We asked Humphrey to put the historically high temperatures in context of other heat waves and explain the ways in which climate change is responsible for an increasing number of extreme weather events. 

Nick Humphrey: If you think of climate change as a kind of disorder the planet has, one of the greatest symptoms is increasing extreme weather events. Prior to human-induced global warming, climate changes were relatively slow over the course of hundreds to thousands of years. 

NH: Two of the concerns I have are heat stress on humans and animals, but also on crops. When you start getting temperatures above 86 degrees, it starts to cause heat stress on certain crops—corn, soybeans, wheat. They don’t grow as well. If the crops end up failing, people can’t afford their food. 

www.motherjones.com...

I know this is scary stuff. But avoiding your fears by denial is not going to help anyone. Vast areas of the planet will become uninhabitable and many more will only be marginally so – such as my home in the good ole USA.

I don’t care what the cause, we need to do what we can to save our children, grandchildren and humanity.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
There is also this in the same issue Mother Jones:

www.motherjones.com...

It’s Barely July and This Wildfire Season Already Looks Terrifying Across California,

fires have burned more than twice the five-year average.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You know, but when meteorologists also come out and say that this is weather and nothing to worry about, we are told that they are only meteorologists and not scientists, specifically *climate scientists* so what they say does not matter.

It's the same as being told that abnormally cold or snowy weather in winter is *just* weather and not climate, but every drought, every heat wave, every day that is hotter than normal or breaks a record is further proof of global warming.

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Mother Jones is a mouthpiece for the establishment. Pay your carbon credits In advance
That should help

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Prior to human-induced global warming, climate changes were relatively slow over the course of hundreds to thousands of years.

More of the same crap.

Climate change is due to the fact that the ice will soon start growing. It is just a natural cycle.

Is man speeding it up? Don't know. The last time this happened it was about 110,000 years ago.

It is just the earth's cycle.

P

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I don’t care what the cause, we need to do what we can to save our children, grandchildren and humanity.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaaa!

There's no such thing as Global Warming. It's a made up story. Every time we have some kind of weather phenomenon it's GLOBAL WARMING. OMG!!

Relax. It will cool off in good time. Then it'll be cold again. Remember how long last Winter was? Everyone thought it would never end. Now it's GLOBAL WARMING. OMG!!

Maybe you should move to someplace cooler. It was 77° here a couple of hours ago.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Prior to human-induced global warming,

And this is the key to it Fyre. Either way, human induced or otherwise we need to stop denying it is real and get on with learning how to face it.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We had a long two weeks of extreme heat, 90 which is rare. This week it has been a wonderful 76. So I think everything is just fine.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
Mother Jones is a mouthpiece for the establishment. Pay your carbon credits In advance
That should help

Idiotic solutions do not mean a problem does not exist.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Prior to human-induced global warming, climate changes were relatively slow over the course of hundreds to thousands of years.

More of the same crap.

Climate change is due to the fact that the ice will soon start growing. It is just a natural cycle.

Is man speeding it up? Don't know. The last time this happened it was about 110,000 years ago.

It is just the earth's cycle.

P

You keep ignoring the little red line off to the right whenever you post this chart.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

ANd where I live, used to have a reputation as being so rainy that only a few people ever moved here. That reputaion still exists in peoples minds. Yet I can tell you this. It dosen't rain here nearly as much as it did 50 years ago.

And what I remember from last winter was not how long it was but how short it was. It did not snow in my valley and only dusted the hill tops. The river which normally runs full for months at at time, washing away debris by the tons, last winter only reached full for three days and stayed well below half full the rest of the winter.

So no, I do not remember how long last winter was, because it almost did not exist.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't buy into AGW, this planet's been around for far too long for bipeds to wreck it quickly.

However, I do believe in not s#ing where we eat. We're pretty piggy polluters and IMO, all of the trash burying & general dumping of horrendous crap all over the globe serves no one any good in the long term.

If we want our planet to be great for our kids & grandkids, we can start by being less disgusting because that only serves to negatively manipulate the DNA of everything. Sure, we can let industrial runoff into the local water supply! Think your grandkids will thank your for their cancers in 50 years?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Notes: Mother Jones is a politically progressive American magazine reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture.

I stopped there.

Every other sane person did too.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Notes: Mother Jones is a politically progressive American magazine reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture.

I stopped there.

Truthfully, I don't know too many "Lefties" than feel MJ negates it's hardline BS with writing anything reputable. It's seldom sourced for a reason.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
"A Meteorologist Explains Why the Extreme Heat is Way Worse Than You Think."

Yes, well, here's a meteorologist/climatologist who is the primary person responsible for reviewing global temperature satellite data every month and saying that it isn't worse than you think:

Dr Roy Spencer: "Summer Causes Climate Change Hysteria"

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

CO2 does not cause climate change. Climate change cause CO2 to rise.

The cycle is natural as far as the planet is concerned.

What is next for the Earth?

The Ice shall return.

All the worlds Governments know this ... it is just that they can not alter the Earth's path forward.

See the natural cycle.

P

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You know, but when meteorologists also come out and say that this is weather and nothing to worry about, we are told that they are only meteorologists and not scientists, specifically *climate scientists* so what they say does not matter.

It's the same as being told that abnormally cold or snowy weather in winter is *just* weather and not climate, but every drought, every heat wave, every day that is hotter than normal or breaks a record is further proof of global warming.

I expected this ******.

Nick Humphrey is a meteorologist and geoscientist in Lincoln, Nebraska, who runs the “Ocean’s Wrath” blog and studies the nature of these events in relation to ocean storms and climate.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: Greven

CO2 does not cause climate change. Climate change cause CO2 to rise.

The cycle is natural as far as the planet is concerned.

What is next for the Earth?

The Ice shall return.

All the worlds Governments know this ... it is just that they can not alter the Earth's path forward.

See the natural cycle.

P

Greenhouse gases alter the energy (aka temperature) distribution of the atmosphere.
CO2 is proven by spectroscopy to be a greenhouse gas.
Humans are adding a lot of CO2 to the atmosphere.
Therefore, humans are changing the climate (distribution of temperature) in the atmosphere by emitting CO2.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Prior to human-induced global warming,

And this is the key to it Fyre. Either way, human induced or otherwise we need to stop denying it is real and get on with learning how to face it.

It's scary - run away.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I stopped there.

I know I did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join