It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who asked black woman for ID at pool loses his job

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Another one bites the dust:

Jasmine Edwards was at her neighborhood pool when Adam Bloom asked her for her ID and then called the police. She shared the video on Facebook, which now has more than 4 million views. You can watch the video above of Jasmine Edwards’ encounter with Adam Bloom above. Edwards’ video was originally shared on Facebook but the embed is having technical problems, so the same video, just shared on Twitter, has been included above. According to the video, Bloom called the police because he wanted Edwards to show her ID and prove that she was able to use the pool. Bloom’s lawyer later said he called the police so the situation wouldn’t “escalate.”

But no one else was asked for an ID, Edwards pointed out in the video, and police concluded during the video that asking for an ID was not the policy. “I feel this is racial profiling,” she told Bloom in the video.

She told the police that Bloom first asked for her address, which she gave to him. Then he wanted her ID to prove her address was correct, even though she had her pool card to get into the pool with her child. The police swiped her pool card to prove to Bloom that it worked. Bloom then said on the video, “They kind of make their way around sometimes… but that’s good enough for me today.”

Source

The video below:

I can appreciate the need to ensure that only local residents are using neighborhood facilities but with that said it should have been evident she had a right to be there from the start. Me thinks this guy couldn't deal with the fact she was there and that's it. This woman had a card to access the pools, showed proof she lived in the neighborhood, she wasn't causing any issues and she was just there with her kid, I mean how ridiculous can this guy get? The man identified as Adam Bloom has now lost his job and last his position on the neighborhood board.

I don't believe these incidences are on the rise, rather I believe that, thanks to social media, they are becoming more and more apparent. This video adds to the list of recorded incidences where blacks have had the cops called on them under suspicion of wrong doing, often minor offenses. Prior to this we had the incident of a local woman calling the cops on a black family bbqing in a park (which they were allowed) and another who called cops on black guests at an air BnB under suspicion of wrong doing. Oh let's not forget that woman who called the cops on that little black girl selling lemonade at the side of the street... the the college student who called authorities on a fellow black student who fell asleep on university grounds. The list goes on. Slowly people will begin to release that wasting police resources on their personal prejudices isn't going to be an option anymore.

edit on 7-7-2018 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So , was it "kiddie day" or "elderly day" ?
They have those at the park where I live.Specific to an age group.
And now , for the rest of the story....

edit on 7/7/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Sucks for him that NC is an employment at will state or he'd have a slam dunk wrongful termination case against the employer.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes yes. Please be sure to update us once you get the 'rest' of the story. I'm sure this man was just being an upstanding citizen right?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Adam Bloom was totally wrong with his heavy-handed approach. Jasmine Edwards should SUE. That's the American way.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Racism and racial precedent is rampant in the US, this pool-nazi deserves all that comes his way for being your typical 'team-America, world police' yank. I mean, just check out any white supremacy or BLM website / twitter account, just check out the lack of media coverage of white supremacists being driven out of PRO-TRUMP protest, just check out the media coverage of the 4 black folks who kidnapped and tortured the autistic white fella and only got 8 years jail.

Racism and racial precedent is rampant in the US. I blame government sanctioned education institutions, the MSM, poor or non-existent parenting and woeful government policies, and not necessarily in that order either.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Adam Bloom was totally wrong with his heavy-handed approach. Jasmine Edwards should SUE. That's the American way.

I have no doubt that's come to mind already.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Next time I get carded for buying alcohol I'll post the incident on Facebook video ad hopefully have the high school student working behind the counter fired and kicked out of their school.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Yes yes. Please be sure to update us once you get the 'rest' of the story. I'm sure this man was just being an upstanding citizen right?

Not for me or YOU to decide.
And I made a statement that did not take into effect anyone's character nor guilt.
Merely a question.
You really need to stop jumping to conclusions and assuming.

link   
This guy is a complete tool. I cant hate people like him enough.

+11 more 
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

Next time I get carded for buying alcohol I'll post the incident on Facebook video

Presenting an ID to prove your age is a legal requirement for purchasing alcohol. Had you actually paid proper attention to the OP you'd note that a) The woman had a card to access the pool, b) she presented ID proof of her residence to Mr Bloom to show she had a right to be there and c) it's a friggin pool and she was there with her child. It's not alcohol. We're not talking about driving a car here. We're not talking about crossing the border. We're talking about using the neighborhood pool.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The guy is a blatant racist.

Anyone making any type of excuse for this piece of garbage is a racist. Jesus Christ. Welcome to Trumps world.

edit on 7-7-2018 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

This guy is a complete tool. I cant hate people like him enough.

Obviously something rubbed him the wrong way and he couldn't deal with it and go about his business. The must be something seriously lacking in his life for him to do this.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

He was probably an actual racist being a racist dick.

I have nothing but hate for the guy. By no stretch is this sort of crap necessary. If no one is hurt or hindered then people need to mind their business or help. Not the other way around.

edit on 7 7 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

And I made a statement

You said there's more to the story, despite all the facts being presented at hand. It's an assumption on your part that the entire incident hadn't been looked into and this assumption of yours is based on doubt that this man was completely in the wrong.

Again, come back to us when you find the 'rest of the story'. Don't cower behind what you clearly said, stand by it.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I wouldn't say that, but I'd bet his company was already looking at releasing him for some manner of dissatisfaction with his quality of work before this. I can't imagine something this minor would result in him losing a job totally unrelated to him being a pool cop.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You's bet that? Jesus in a hand basket what a reach. Just accept it and move on. The dude was an ass.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I’m not sure in what world the fact of a persons skin colour is evidence of them being racially profiled. Perhaps he just didn’t recognize her. Only an admittance or guilt is evidence of such a charge.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wouldn't say that, but I'd bet his company was already looking at releasing him for some manner of dissatisfaction with his quality of work before this. I can't imagine something this minor would result in him losing a job totally unrelated to him being a pool cop.

Could be the case Burdman.... but the company's statement appears to claim this incident was the cause, not the tipping point:

Sonoco Products Twitter account

We are aware of a terrible incident involving the actions of one our employees outside of the workplace, and we have released this statement.

Actually in hindsight they didn't exactly say he was sacked for just this reason.. could be the way they carefully worded it to protect themselves from legal action....

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I’m not sure in what world the fact of a persons skin colour is evidence of them being racially profiled. Perhaps he just didn’t recognize her. Only an admittance or guilt is evidence of such a charge.

So as long as you don't admit to being racist you can continue doing racist things and can't be accused as such.

The first I heard of that argument Les I'll give you that.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join