It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP plan would cut Medicare, Social Security to balance budget

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The absolute worst, possible things the Republicans could imagine doing short of starting WWIII. I called this months ago when Ryan said he was retiring, they wanted to stop him from advertising this plan and save it for after the midterms. I guess looking on the bright side of enough voters hear about this the GOP purge will be so big they may never recover. I consider this an act of war against the 99% of Americans who aren't millionaires.

www.washingtonpost.com... =.e8ea179777cb

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Vote them all out !!!

Nov 2018

😲

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Oh the drama, the horror!

The budget also proposes a number of other cost-saving measures, some of which could prove unpopular if implemented, such as adding more work requirements for food-stamp and welfare recipients and requiring federal employees — including members of Congress — to contribute more to their retirement plans.

I don't think that's as unpopular as they would like to think.

The budget would transform Medicaid, the federal-state health-care program for the poor, by limiting per capita payments or allowing states to turn it into a block-grant program — the same approach House Republicans took in their legislation that passed last year to repeal the Affordable Care Act (the repeal effort died in the Senate, but the GOP budget assumes that the repeal takes place). It also proposes adding work requirements for certain adults enrolled in Medicaid. Changes to Medicaid and other health programs would account for $1.5 trillion in savings.

Also by their own admission:

House Republicans released a proposal Tuesday that would balance the budget in nine years — but only by making large cuts to entitlement programs, including Medicare and Social Security, that President Trump vowed not to touch.

Your blatant hate is comical.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
thank god, can I have my money back in my pocket so I can invest it how I see fit please?

thanks

oh btw, progressives GTFO of my wallet please thanks, go solve problems with your own money

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You forgot the one that impacts a number of Republicans, be it disabled or elderly:

Social Security comes in for more modest cuts of $4 billion over the decade

Regardless or how much & where, it's going to be seen as a major finger their way. And you know it.

Edit: And I mention Republicans only here because it's his base that's going to bite back hardest.
edit on 6/19/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I covered that with the final quote from the article.

I'm not a Republican.
edit on 19-6-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I covered that with the final quote from the article.

I'm not a Republican.

Well, in a way. It's splitting hairs, but you neglected to include the amount, that's an important figure for debating with. No hard feelings?

Edit: And I wasn't implying you were a Republican, I'm pointing out his base is going to eat him alive.
edit on 6/19/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I think it's time to go full-on communist!

Go get 'em Tiger!

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

No hard feelings at all. I'm pointing out the half assed, ultra-biased article.

Even with the facts in plain view, the spin is real.

Now getting down to brass tacks, Trump (in theory) wouldn't sign this. Based on his words and the articles words.

SS is all but insolvent. Something needs to be done and I would lay the claim that we should be able to invest our own SS money into the stock market or wherever else we deem safe for our retirement.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm planning my retirement based on a 401k, 403b.

I am not factoring in ANYTHING that is provided by the government which does piss me off because they took my money in Social Security and I'll never see a damned dime and I'm old!

*blanking blankety-blanks*

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I just love how people are ok with the government spending $1.40 for every $1.00 taken in.
We need to cut soon or the debt will cut it for us and it will hurt more.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

WaPo sure gave up on covering the children of criminals quickly. That publication must be very scared of something.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They, the rich speculators could destroy your 401k anytime they want. Its based on the stock market's health.

Just as the millions of people whose 401 k’s were destroyed in the 2008 Bush depression.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

It's a # system surely. Those already retired payed (assumed) their whole lives. Those about to retire are fearful of retiring. Those my age are in limbo (but still paying). Finally those entering the work force may be SoL(also still paying).

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
The absolute worst, possible things the Republicans could imagine doing short of starting WWIII. I called this months ago when Ryan said he was retiring, they wanted to stop him from advertising this plan and save it for after the midterms. I guess looking on the bright side of enough voters hear about this the GOP purge will be so big they may never recover. I consider this an act of war against the 99% of Americans who aren't millionaires.

www.washingtonpost.com... =.e8ea179777cb

Considering that no one under 55 seriously thinks of Social Security as something they can count on for their retirement I think the opposition isnt going to have much luck making people feel like this is war against the 99% of Americans who aren't millionaires.

Now dont get me wrong I'm sure people will have an opinion about this that runs along with their partisan leaning; so roughly 50% of the country will go along with the proscribed disapproval... but the outrage of 99% as if this were war? Just not going to happen.

The real question will be is if this will anger the elderly more than it makes young people happy. The elderly are a consistent voting block so the youngins have a run for their money ... literally.

My opinion the GOP wont risk angering the elderly voting block. So they might kick around the idea of cutting SS or M but in the end wont get enough votes. And the rest of us 69% will be left holding the bag as the can is kicked down the road.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

They, the rich speculators could destroy your 401k anytime they want. Its based on the stock market's health.

Just as the millions of people whose 401 k’s were destroyed in the 2008 Bush depression.

Life is a risk.

*shrugs*

I guess I'll have to take my chances and just rely on myself instead of relying on government.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I should be able to invest in my local mechanic. The hardware store. The gas station.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Balanced budget sounds very good...

though, I don't trust Congress to ever, actually produce legislation that doesn't pad their own pockets....

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm fine not getting any social security / medicare benefits, and would let them keep what I've paid in over the last 20 years if I can stop paying.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I should be able to invest in my local mechanic. The hardware store. The gas station.

Government knows how to spend your money better than you!

Silly person!

pfft!

Wanting to plan and spend how you want!

C'mon!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join