It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global protests to free Julian Assange scheduled for tomorrow June 19th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Not sure how many of you have heard about this, but apparently there are going to be global protests/demonstrations tomorrow to mark the 6th anniversary of Julian Assange seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian Embassy, demanding that the governments of Australia, U.S. and UK pardon him and free him from any potential indictment or charges in the U.S., based on the U.N. ruling that he is being illegally detained. We know conditions have gotten worse for him since the beginning of the year, with virtually all contact being cut to the outside world through the embassy. Was just curious if any of you will be participating?

Here is just a couple of links to articles: link 1 link 2

I'm sure there is something about it on twitter, but I don't use twitter.

Edit to add: Apparently this will coincide on the same day Wikileaks' legal team is set to attend a meeting of the United Nations Human Rights Council (link 3):

In addition to Amores’ statement, the Twitter Account of Julian Assange, which is currently operated by his legal team, has indicated that a meeting on the persecution of Julian Assange would take place in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) on Tuesday the 19th of June, including WikiLeaks’ general counsel Baltasar Garzon. UN meeting on the persecution of @WikiLeaks‘ publisher @JulianAssange; Geneva, Palice of Nations, UN Human Rights Council; 38th Session Tuesday 19 June, 10.30 am–11:30am, Room V; With @WikiLeaks General Counsel Judge Baltasar Garzon pic.twitter.com/cL3vUGuI1r — #FreeAssange! (tweets by campaign)⌛ (@JulianAssange) June 14, 2018

edit on 18-6-2018 by jburg6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is the first I've heard of it... Can't be too much of a global plan

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

It could be a big nothingburger, but everything I have seen the past 2-3 months has suggested that Ecuador is facing intense pressure to get him out of the embassy for whatever reason, so I suppose we will see what happens.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The thing is he isn't being detained. He is hiding from detainment. He sought asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy and they granted it. He's only been cut off from communications because he violated the terms of his asylum application.

He could leave the embassy if he so chose. He would then be arrested and detained by the UK, but at least his status would no longer be in limbo and then he could face the charges he is accused of. He could have his day in court and expose TPTB for harassing him.

At that point, it would make perfect sense to hold rallies for his release.

I am no fan of Julian Assange. If he hadn't run to asylum in the first place, this whole thing would have probably been over years ago.
edit on 18-6-2018 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jburg6

There's a better proposal out there than protests. It's a request for the Swedish prosecutors to interview JA in the Embassy. It takes away the risk of extradition and, last I looked, the two women said they didn't want him pursued and preferred the case to be dropped.

What do protests ever achieve these days?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I guess the best we could hope for is enough publicity to educate some of the average everyday Joe's who have no idea who Assange is as to the importance of Wikileaks. If enough people get pissed off, maybe we will see a Presidential pardon from Trump. Hell, if Kim Kardashian can intervene and get someone pardoned, all hope is not lost.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

JA was supportive of Trump's candidacy so who knows? It's a very strange world these past few years.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I had to face the baseless charges against me and I came out with no conviction. I was honest and fought for justice in a very corrupt system.

I wish I could get asylum anytime someone accused me of something stupid, but I'm not a "special celebrity" and so therefore am not above or beyond the legal process.

JA hiding from this is a disappointment and in my opinion, dishonorable.

I felt like I was being persecuted for my beliefs and work, and I felt like I was up against impossible odds - but here I am with no criminal record.

I know it's hard but this man needs to face the music. What's he going to do, hide forever in a cage? Sounds like he's already in prison.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

If he is truly innocent I think he's had plenty of time to build a robust and thorough legal defense strategy.

He needs to turn himself in.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

There's a better proposal out there than protests. It's a request for the Swedish prosecutors to interview JA in the Embassy. It takes away the risk of extradition and, last I looked, the two women said they didn't want him pursued and preferred the case to be dropped.

If the two women want the case dropped than he ought to be in a strong defensive position and shouldn't be so terrified to face this.

I'm not gonna call him an irresponsible coward but damn man, this has gone on long enough. He's throwing his life away at this point.
edit on 6/18/2018 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I thought Sweden dropped the case? Last I heard he was simply hiding cause our fuzz want to arrest him for evading arrest.

Plus May would sell him out in a heart beat for some extra trump points.

new topics

top topics

join