It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation mess- or.. What... was... THAT?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I tried meditation Saturday. It went... badly. I heard someone mentioning Alan Watts reading Hindu script with appropriate music on here last week, so I found some on Youtube, shoved in headphones, and gave it a run. Thankfully, no ads plagued me. Nothing like settling in, getting prepared, and then "HERE COMES THOSE SALE PRICES!". Ugh.

Anyhoo, I turned it on, got comfy, and after a couple minutes, some weird images came to mind. Mostly machinery type stuff. Midway, a ghostlike being comes up out of the darkness of my eyes being closed. It was half rotting, wearing a shroud, stringy hair, and a face that had experienced pure terror. Looked at me, mouthed clearly "Don't let me go!" and disappeared back into the murk. I still had my eyes closed, but was trying to figure out what the *hell* just happened. Mr. Watts was still going on with his recitation, the drummer was getting fancy between passages, and I'm trying to see if my imagination had gone into overdrive. Tried to recall the image with the same detail and clarity as it had happened, and just nothing.

I thought meditation was to give one peace. *points to the above* What the??

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

I thought meditation was to give one peace.

Lots of cleaning to do sometimes before light shines through.

You're just dusting some spaces you probably haven't touched in a while.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Here is a good relaxation meditation - it guides you around the body, relaxing each bit at a time.

It is best to relax the body and mind - listening to Alan Watts while meditating is probably not going to help the mind stop producing images and thoughts.
edit on 4-6-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Anyhoo, I turned it on, got comfy, and after a couple minutes, some weird images came to mind. Mostly machinery type stuff. Midway, a ghostlike being comes up out of the darkness of my eyes being closed. It was half rotting, wearing a shroud, stringy hair, and a face that had experienced pure terror. Looked at me, mouthed clearly "Don't let me go!" and disappeared back into the murk. I still had my eyes closed, but was trying to figure out what the *hell* just happened. Mr. Watts was still going on with his recitation, the drummer was getting fancy between passages, and I'm trying to see if my imagination had gone into overdrive. Tried to recall the image with the same detail and clarity as it had happened, and just nothing.

I thought meditation was to give one peace. *points to the above* What the??

Meditation will not bring peace if you are interested in what the mind shows up - the reason why there is no peace is because the mind distracts from the quiet, peaceful space in which the mind appears.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Looks like some of those spaces need a 'condemned' sign hung up and the door welded shut. :/

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I'll give that one a try.

Images and thoughts, yeah... but that? That was in a whole other league of its own.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Looks like some of those spaces need a 'condemned' sign hung up and the door welded shut. :/

I said this in a post recently, but meditation is not all happy rainbows and hippy peace. Every spiritual journey will be tested and there will be turbulence.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

But that is impossible - it is not wanting certain thoughts or images that make them keep popping up - if there is no one in there caring what appears in mind then the conflict has ended.

What if everything is just happening and there is no one doing anything? Meditation may help this to be recognised - you did not 'do' the fearful images did you? So if it is recognised that 'you' don't do the mental images and have no control over what appears as mind, then it may be recognised that there is no doer - all is done!
When it is found that the true 'you' is merely witnessing whatever arises and is not doing anything - there will be the peace that was longed for.

It may seem terrifying to think that you have no control - but really it is freedom and peace of mind!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Been doing it 50 yrs... Don't listen to much beforehand... Unless it's positive

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
**dbl post
edit on 4-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What have you been doing for 50 years?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What have you been doing for 50 years?

Transcendental meditation and Astral projection...and I'm a "sensitive" as well (look it up)!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
I'm a "sensitive" as well (look it up)!

The thing is 'you' are not any 'particular thing'.
Aware is what you are - simply, the ever present aware space, in which all appears and disappears.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I said this in a post recently, but meditation is not all happy rainbows and hippy peace. Every spiritual journey will be tested and there will be turbulence.

It may not be, but when did I subscribe to the Twilight Zone? The image didn't scare me to death- it was just... really really weird and out of my pay grade. I expected to rest quietly, and come out of it reasonably refreshed. Not get a cryptic thing straight out of the gate.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

But that is impossible - it is not wanting certain thoughts or images that make them keep popping up

I have literally no idea where this came from. None.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Aware is what you are - simply, the ever present aware space, in which all appears and disappears.

This is silly talk.

Each person is an individual. We are all unique while sharing certain traits of humanity.

This "You are not you" "All is one" nonsense is just New Age religion babble.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

If this makes it simpler for you... from childhood to now.. I've been more intensely sensitive to all things karmic...

Negatives and positives... In the present or in advance.... Something I've learned to control... and as a child with religious schooling (which I didn't follow)..it was difficult to understand what being extremely more sensitive than any others
around me were: adult or child.

But, I will move seats in a restaurant, distance myself from people and places if negative...

Hard to explain completely... so I generally don't.. though your intent and reply comes through clearly.

Thanks, God Bless

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

This is silly talk.

Each person is an individual. We are all unique while sharing certain traits of humanity.

You know... it's not silly talk by your own statement here: all are individuals... yet all are 1: we are persons/people/humans.

All sep. parts of a whole: human race, one planet
edit on 4-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Sorry I scared you when I appeared to you.

All you have to do to meditate is to talk to discuss things with your inner subconscious, some use prayer to relax too. If your subconscious is crabby I would try to refrain from tying to it.

All some people do for meditation is repeat Ummmmmm over and over. I tried it but have better results trying to communicate with my subconscious. I sometimes attempt to contact god but he never really returns my calls. Prayer is a form of meditation though, so is singing or humming when you are happy. Those hymns in church actually accomplish the same thing with some people.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

This is silly talk.

It may at first seem like silly talk but look closer.

Are you aware of these words? Are you aware that all characters are unique? Are you aware of thoughts happening, sensations, sound, colours?

You are aware of whatever appears - but you have misidentified yourself as a particular thing that appears.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join