It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back To Eve Online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So apparently I'm into self abuse: I'm a moderator here on ATS......and I decided to get back to playing Eve Online (Trust No One!), hehehehe.

For those that are unfamiliar with Eve Online, it's a MMPOG game that has been around...well, for a very long time (since 2003). You are a pilot in space, specifically in a huge area of space called New Eden.

The space itself is divided up into regions and sectors of security ( 1.0 to 0.5 is High Security, 0.4 to 0.1 is Low Security and 0.0 is called Null Sec, or no security at all). What you do in game is.......massively way, way, way too much for me to describe here, but I'll leave a wiki link for those that want to really know more about the game:

Eve Online

Anyways, I've been playing this game off and on since 2009, so this coming Jan. 2019 will be my tenth anniversary on it. I've had a lot of fun, lots of laughs, some tears, LOTS OF CURSING.....heh.......

I'd stop playing it back in 2014, and had been gone for 4 years. Thought I was done with the game......but I always get drawn back into playing again. The cool thing is: CCP doesn't get rid of your account. My characters, all my stuff, my money (called ISK in the game), was all there waiting for me when I renewed my subscription to play.

Orca all loaded up and waiting to go....

Why did I go back? Welllllll..........

I've always enjoyed spaced based games (Elite, Mass Effect, etc) and I had been playing Elite Dangerous for a while now......and while I was initially enjoying myself with Elite, I realized that I was actually pretty bored with that game. I missed the player controlled market, the ability to manufacture things, the training tree, the massively more amounts of ships and different kinds of ships, being able to configure your ships a lot more, and several other things.

So I thought about it for a long time. I'd stopped playing Eve back in 2014 because I was kind of bored and lonely. I've known lots of people on Eve over the years, but they've either stopped playing....moved on to other aspects of Eve that I don't play and I've lost touch.

One of my friends on Eve, from Aussie land, is on Facebook, and we've stayed in touch this whole time. Back in 2014, he found real life was too busy for him to do Eve anymore, so he made me CEO of his corp and stopped playing. I kept playing for a bit.....didn't really look for new friends to play with because - Well, it's EVE.......Trust No One! hehehe. Been burned many times for that. So I hung my hat up and turned out the lights on my account.

But 4 years later here in 2018....I wanted to get back into playing again. So I got me a 3 month subscription and logged back in.

WOW, there has been a LOT of changes since I was on last, and they are getting ready to deploy another update in a few days. Love the Player Corp advertising they have in the stations now, and it's been a blast re-learning how to play again:

My CNR (Caldari Navy Raven) that I mission run with is pretty beat up as I forgot how to Mission run level 4's......

So if any of you play Eve yourselves and want to chat, trade stories, etc (please don't gank me....I'm just a Care Bear) you can find me there as Andy Legate (Hibana corp)

You can find me over in Aband (Amarr region), running missions, or mining 'roids next door in Munory.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Try out X3. Not X rebirth.

X4 is under development.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

It is funny how the older games are still have the most players.

EVE & WoW still going strong while the new graphic wonder games burn in and out like supernovas. Graphics are not going to keep people playing, content and economies do.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Graphics in Eve are gorgeous. I thought they were great back in 2009......but they are lightyears better now.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

WoW has evolved with the times. I remember 40 man molten core.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There will be a new update adding some new content again in like a day or 3. Abyssal dead space looked pretty cool, however the reports from the test server are that the higher tier pockets will be insanely hard. I don't think you would like me in eve though as I am part of a merc/pirate group...we extort highsec carebears and roam lowsec looking for GFs =D

Forgot to add...if you got structures needing protection...we might be able to offer some help...for a fee
edit on 27-5-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yah, I read the patch notes. Apparently these new regions that you access with filaments, you'll be stuck in it until you complete the mission.....or die. And they said you have to use a cruiser (wondering if that includes strategic cruisers like the T3 Tengu).

Only structure I have right now is a POS over in Munory that I set up to research BPOs.....so high sec pos, no real need for any security (I'm a one man corp, and don't really piss anyone off, so not too worried about being war dec'ed).

I do miss my wormhole days. Was the only way to feel like being in Null Sec if you were a noob care bear...I can remember when they first came out with them. I belonged to a corp that decided to set a pos up in one.....only the corp leader didn't know what he was doing..........we died a lot, hehehe.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

POS is phased out almost completely...they have been transferring its functions to upwell structures. Not sure you can even research in them now. I make drugs myself as a passive isk generator which still must be done in lowsec...but druglab isn't a thing now...I use biochem reactor in an athenor.

The Abyssal pockets can only be accessed by T1 pirate nd T2 cruisers so no T3C. The T1-3 aren't so bad but T4-5 from what I've read require bling gear implants and drugs to even stand a chance. T5 is like a crap shoot too...send 4-5 bil of stuff in get a bad spawn and poof...can't complete in time and lose it all including the pod. My alliance lives in Everyshore but atm we are deployed in Domain working with buddies to lock down an area to take over all the refining. While here we have picked up some contracts too. Been very busy lately. Maybe I'll see you around though.

Edit...damn you are pretty close actually. Just checked the map and you're like 12 jumps from me.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Wondered why I didn't really see any POS at the moons where I'm at.......and there's moon mining in high sec now?

I missed a lot in 4 years I see.

Alas....4 years of training that didn't happen....

ETA - Yah, you can still do research in the POS....don't know about anything else. I'll have to look into the new structures.
edit on 5/27/2018 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I always very happy to see EVE get some publicity. Been playing since 2011, pretty consistently living in Wormhole space. Things are about to get very interesting with Abyssal Deadspace. You should check out Project Discovery in-game, by playing the minigame (great while traveling or mining) you can help find Exoplanets in real life!

Here's to another 15 years of EVE!! Cheers!

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Yes but moon mining in highsec and WH kinda sucks...only get nullsec ores and a tiny bit of moon goo. Lowsec and nullsec moon mining is very very profitable though. An R64 can spit out a good 10+ bil in rocks. The new stations are harder to protect than the old POS system too however they're much easier to deal with...like way less complicated.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolvacron

I remember when they first came out with wormholes and we were all trying to figure things out.

The corp I belonged to then was small and the CEO wanted to own a piece of space, so he decided we would set up a POS in one. Well first, none of us belonged in there. We were all noobs without enough training, and none of us PVP'd.

Worse, we went into a wormhole that pretty much opened to hi sec and another wh space. He decided to plunge in the next wh and set up there.

Wrong move. The wh we went to only opened up to other wh's, low sec or null sec, hehehehe.

I got in with another corp that was better, they PVP'd and had a wh pos. I spent a lot of time in the wh mining those really rare ores, salvaging sleeper wrecks, and scanning things down (one of my favorite things to do). I had a blast with them, and really miss living in WH space.

Was in Null Sec for just a short time. That first corp I was in, the CEO had worked out a rental agreement with a corp out there (this was before WH's)....a few days after we got set up, we were kicked out because the alliance leader (some 12 year old kid), didn't want us there, so we had to leave. I made 5 round trips in a Badger before I was popped.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Only thing I've ever done in Low Sec is sneak around, hide, or ran through it from WH space to hi sec for supplies.

I don't PVP, and trying to do Lvl 5 missions there just isn't my cup of tea. Too many players out to gank (sort of like ravenous wolves), etc. I actually felt safer in WH space or Null Sec than I've ever felt in Low Sec.

I'm not really that ambitious. I'm a lazy care bear that does PVE, mining and love scanning down things.

I don't cry when I get popped though. I never fly what I can't replace, including my implants. I just shrug and move on.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I did a trial in EVE a few years ago. One thing I noticed was that with the skill training system, people who had been playing longer had an advantage simply because they've been playing longer and had been able to acquire more skills. As the game currently is, are people who jump in at a permanent disadvantage in that regard, or was the system changed to allow new players to catch up to players who have been in the game for 10+ years?

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

They have added something called Skill Injectors and Skill Extractors.

You can guy the injectors and inject yourself with skill points that you can immediatly apply to a skill (instead of having to wait out the training time).

The extractors allow members to remove skill points and sell them for the in game money.

This is something they added during the 4 years I was gone.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The Alpha Clone is the new form of trial which is free. They recently opened up a ton of ships and skills for alpha accounts too. If you actually try you can sub your account of the income made in game from alpha to get to omega. I just started around 6 months ago and I am able to get kills, extort people, be helpful to my alliance fleets, and run plenty of PvE stuff to make isk when I need it. The key to eve is to find a corp or alliance to work with and learn from. If really makes all the difference when you're new. Eve is designed to be a very social game, sure you can play anti-socially but you will find it is much much harder.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Once you've been the ravenous wolf for a while it gets much easier to live in lowsec. You start to be able to put yourself in the hunters mind and you know what to do to avoid being the prey. I do 99% of my PvE in lowsec in the form of DED sites...and I make bank. The learning curve is steep though...and I fly cloakies 90% of the time which makes life easier too.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Well it certainly sounds like you found your niche in Low sec and I'm happy for you (please don't gank me....
)

I'm WAY too lazy to make a go at it there. Eve certainly isn't a casual game, but I tend to play it as such. I watched friends go from enjoying themselves to actually making it like work. I try not to let things in the game annoy me too much, though there have been some great moments that did:

1) My first CEO was an actual diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic (uh...and he's playing Eve???), I logged on one morning while in WH space at the pos to scan things down, when the pos kicked me out and it's guns blew me away (he thought I had done something I had not). I was like "Well okay then......"

2) Some guy acting like he was a noob at PVE talked me into fleeting up for a mission....then he argo'd the whole room and tried to gank me (no good deed goes unpunished.....)

3) Trying to set a pos up in wh space, in my Orca. The tower had just come on line, when this corp showed up from another wh space, they took the shields down no problem because I'd not had time to set up the defenses. I had to log out then log back in at 2 in the morning so I could escape with the Orca and the rest of the pos equipment, but took a big ISK hit for the loss of the tower.

4) Spent all those months training to use a Hulk, and exactly 2 days after I finally was able to get into one, gankers started up Hulkaggedin......so had to mothball the Hulk and go back to just using a Mack instead (Skiff is the best though).

5) Getting war dec'd by guys from Low sec, because they are bored and feel a need to force people to play their way (even though guys like me have paid good money to play our way).

6) High volume traffic in Jita.

7) Getting popped while carrying PLEX in my hold to sell. PLEX that I spent real world money on (though I see they fixed that with the PLEX Vault, good job CCP!).

8) Being invited to a corp in Null Sec....only to have them gank you and take your stuff, because that's what they like to do. The good news is the day me and one of my friend were suppose to head out, I had internet problems so couldn't log on. My friend on the other hand got ganked good. So good that he rage quit Eve.

9) Getting stuck in WH space in a pod. Was about to suicide (and loose all those high ISK implants), but lucked out. Some noobs came in and were chatting Local. I paid them to rescue me.

10) Fostering of paranoia. Like you said, you're suppose to be social on Eve, and a LOT of things on Eve require you to have friends, corp mates, etc. However, the motto of "Trust No One", with the fact that so many on Eve just want to gank and hunt people down for the luz of it can make it really hard for a player to do just that. I've certainly been burned enough times that I tend to ignore people I don't know or avoid areas of Eve.

The good news is that Eve is a sandbox.....so everyone should for the most part be able to just play how they want to play, and not be forced to play how others want them to play, as long as you find the right area to be in.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Maybe the best and worst game ever made. I hate it with a passion, but want to play again badly. I dont think I could ever subject myself to the stress of it again though. I have 2 hulk pilots and a freighter pilot just wasting away. 1 hulk pilot can fly basically anything Battleship and below including Amani Stratrgic cruiser. I do miss it.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Lol...yep that's eve. I have my paranoia skill trained to level V haha. Space is a rough place in eve...and you basically have to assume everyone is either out to kill you or rob you blind or both. There are a lot of bads out there but once you do find a good nich and group it gets immensely easier. Well I am going to log in soon actually to get things positioned for a tatara bash today as some group we are working to extort who's in an area of space we intend to take over the refining for (high sec miner group) hasn't paid us. Also got another group to go reinforce their things cause when we declared war they all dropped corp,to hide from us. Anyway if you ever want to say hi you can find me as Ricky F Digits.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join