It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Mount Kilauea: Explosive eruption at volcano

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hawaii Mount Kilauea: Explosive eruption at volcano

Just hapened 10 mins ago.

looks like the volcano has had an explosive eruption.

Ash plume is at 25K feet.

More as it becomes available.

An explosive eruption at Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano has sent ash thousands of metres into the sky.

The US Geological Survey said the eruption took place at 05:00 local time (15:00 GMT).

Staff at the volcano observatory and the national park had been previously evacuated.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
A little more info on CBC(just updated a few minutes ago)...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Guess I'll be washing that of my car next week , looking forward to the video to see the scale of the Boom.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Just hope everyone around the area could evacuate with no problems.

We need to become a type 1 civilization if we want to survive on this planet. Or any other I guess.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

That or we need to stop living around volcanoes. They tend to go boom and then a bunch of people seem surprised, it's silly.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: discordantone

www.cbc.ca...

I just had a look at the pics. People taking photos. people *golfing*, all the while there is lava, eruptions, and dangerous gas emissions.

WTF is WRONG with people???

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A steam explosion has been expected for about a week. The result will be a light ash fall, with accumulations of about 0.5cm in areas to the south and southwest of the summit.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

The lava is erupting 20 miles away from the summit. The steam explosion which just occurred is at the summit, which is miles away from any populated area.

The only immediate danger would be for hydrogen sulfide emissions near the lava eruptions. That's why those areas have been evacuated.
edit on 5/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Well, it's not like we're not overpopulating the planet tough...

In a few hundred years there won't be much empty space to live if we keep on this path.

It's all about adaptation.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
A steam explosion has been expected for about a week. The result will be a light ash fall, with accumulations of about 0.5cm in areas to the south and southwest of the summit.

This is crazy though because we've been talking about Kilauea for around two weeks here at ATS.

It's really exciting!!

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Staff at the volcano observatory and the national park had been previously evacuated.

Damn. Must have been a big one, then.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here is the webcam for Hawaii Mount Kilauea.

Webcam

Photos here
www.hawaiinewsnow.com[ editby]edit on 17-5-2018 by MorpheusUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

It is exciting. But it's not doom.

My nephews will be busy cleaning up at our family vacation home in Volcano though.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: muzzleflash

It is exciting. But it's not doom.

My nephews will be busy cleaning up at our family vacation home in Volcano though.

Good to know your vacay home will be clean, while others affected will be living in tents and shelters.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here's a FoxNews.com article.

The Hawaii Volcano Observatory also reported “dense ballistic blocks” up to 2 feet across were found in the parking lot a few hundred yards from the Halemaumau pit crater. “These reflect the most energetic explosions yet observed and could reflect the onset of steam-driven explosive activity,” it explained.

According to the USGS website, the ash cloud reached 30,000 feet and is drifting Northeast.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Yes. Many in the lower east rift zone have lost their homes over the years.

That's one reason my grandfather did not build the house there 70 years ago. He built in Volcano village instead.
edit on 5/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If you are going to get stuck somewhere because of ash bothering Jet engines, I couldn't think of a better place to get stuck. I bet my wife would really enjoy getting stuck there longer if she went. I would get a call that she could not get off the Islands for another six months.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

No self-preservation instinct it would seem.

Maybe they are related to this dude...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

originally posted by: discordantone

www.cbc.ca...

I just had a look at the pics. People taking photos. people *golfing*, all the while there is lava, eruptions, and dangerous gas emissions.

WTF is WRONG with people???

The people in those pictures are in no danger.

What do you think everyone here should be doing, running around screaming? That's absurd.

Big Island is not for wimps.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Looks like we'll have a cold winter this year.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join