It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collagen...why doctors are criticizing it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Collagen is a protein that has been proven through many studies to be very beneficial. I just heard a radio talk show that quoted 2 dermatologists and a plastic surgeon as saying collagen supplements are a waste of money, and could even be harmful! Why? Because these greedy pieces of garbage want people to pay them insane prices for injections of collagen
( which IS dangerous!!) And botox, also dangerous.
But why were these doctors seemingly so upset? It's because they found out that about half a dozen manufacturers of healthy bars and snacks are starting to put collagen in their products, touting the skin, hair, and anti-aging benefits. One of the dermatologists even said "We just don't know how it might mix with other ingredients they're putting in these so-called health bars." She went on and on. But I'll bet she will inject it into your lips for $1000.00! They don't want you to be able to buy a months supply for 20 - 30 dollars. These "doctors" are truly scum.

So, I deferred to PubMed. Here ya go:
Study 1
You can buy the stuff at Walgreens.

Daily consumption of the collagen supplement Pure Gold Collagen® reduces visible signs of aging

Study 2:

collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I make bone broth to make my soups out of. I also believe the skin of chicken is good food, the fat comes out easy in cooking leaving a high collagen broth or food The collagen made out of skin is different than that made of bone, there are three kinds of collagen. They have different properties.

I like jello too. Why pay for pills when you can eat jello shots. People mistake collagen for fat all the time, it is different. Fat cells do contain collagen in their makeup though, that is independent of the lipid inside the fat cell. Elastin is a good thing too, often some powders also contain the elastin binding protein.

The medical industry profits by us not knowing the whole story, they love all the fad things people do. They profit when they mess up homeostasis

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Verisol....

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Dietary supplementation with collagen peptides has demonstrated a notably stimulatory effect on dermal cellular metabolism, improving the biosynthesis of extracellular matrix proteins and, consequently, restoring dermal structure. There is an agreement that biological effects promoted by food-derived collagen peptides are related to the ingestion of collagen in its hydrolyzed form. Collagen peptides are a bioavailable food supplement without any side effects that are derived from native collagen by heat denaturation and further enzymatic hydrolysis.8,9 Specific and complex multistep hydrolysis gives rise to biologically active collagen peptides, which have been proven to stimulate dermal metabolism and have positive effects on skin properties.10,11

edit on 14-5-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: ColeYounger

Verisol....

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Dietary supplementation with collagen peptides has demonstrated a notably stimulatory effect on dermal cellular metabolism, improving the biosynthesis of extracellular matrix proteins and, consequently, restoring dermal structure. There is an agreement that biological effects promoted by food-derived collagen peptides are related to the ingestion of collagen in its hydrolyzed form. Collagen peptides are a bioavailable food supplement without any side effects that are derived from native collagen by heat denaturation and further enzymatic hydrolysis.8,9 Specific and complex multistep hydrolysis gives rise to biologically active collagen peptides, which have been proven to stimulate dermal metabolism and have positive effects on skin properties.10,11

Remember, if a person uses collagen for a protein, it is not complete. Also we need some taurine or the chemistry to make the conditional amino acid in our diet. I actually bought a container of organic grassfed beef bone broth collagen powder so I could add some to my soups. I am testing simpler ways to accomplish a nutritious soup. It wasn't cheap to buy, but it did somewhat enrich the soup and I do not need to always be boiling bones to make soup, I can thicken stews with it to. Beats taking a pill, we have to eat anyway.

Beef broth derived from cartilageous bones has some pretty potent anti-cancer and anti-viral properties. When making chicken soup, boil the bones for a few hours then strain and add the meat you removed from the chicken. You can pick the meat off the bones to get your lunch, toss in some celery and carrots and sage and cabbage and you have a good broth. A tad bit of good real soy sauce adds flavor too. Some onions and garlic in the bone boiling first boil is a necessity. Once you strain the broth and remove the fat, then you can add chicken in with some new veggies and noodles or whatever you want. It also makes great egg drop soup.

You see, it is not always what we eat that causes sickness, sometimes it is what we are not eating. We changed our diet from what our ancestors ate and we are more susceptable to viruses and cancer now. Look up how bone and knuckle collagen is anti-cancer, NIH has information on that.

(post by BrintoShalin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join