It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Puts 'America First' On Hold To Save Chinese Jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
From David Gomez, a former FBI counterterrorism agent and cybersecurity strategist -

DCGomez
@AllThingsNatSec

Wow. I rarely comment on POTUS tweets but this one deserves a response. Telecommunications companies like ZTE use their devices and networks to compile intelligence on behalf of the Chinese govt. That is just a fact. #28YearsInIntelSaysSo
https://
twitter.com/realdonaldtrum
p/status/995680316458262533

9:34 AM - May 13, 2018

Nada Bakos, former CIA analyst and fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute -

@nadabakos

You cannot trade on national security. Promoting jobs in China for a telecom company that is known to be beholden to the Chinese govt, puts US citizens and sensitive info at risk. There is no reward for the USG, national security can’t be used as leverage.
https://
twitter.com/realdonaldtrum
p/status/995746011321597953

1:32 PM - May 13, 2018

Josh Campbell, former FBI special agent -

@joshscampbell

We don’t need to just pump the brakes, we need to throw the car in reverse and immediately retreat from this ludicrous idea that we are going to enable a counterintelligence threat like ZTE. We should not be making life easier for hostile intelligence services.
10:15 AM - May 13, 2018

and, Bolton wants to do away with cyber security. damn, we're weak...
edit on 14-5-2018 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
well their main supplier of chipsets is qualcomm, an american company, so doing this protects american jobs as well...

Trump’s conciliatory message on ZTE drew immediate criticism from U.S. lawmakers of both parties.

“Problem with ZTE isn’t jobs & trade, it’s national security and espionage,” Republican Senate Marco Rubio of Florida said on Twitter. “We are crazy to allow them to operate in the U.S. without tighter restrictions.”

www.bloomberg.com...

Apart from that, a multi-billion dollar Silicon Company does not need protecting. ZTE was not a big enough client to hurt them even a little.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Brilliant insight.

Did these "former agents" have anything to say about the NSA spying on all US citizens?

"When we do it it's for the greater good of the nation, when anyone else does it the sky is falling and they should be prosecuted. Not us though we had/have only good intentions" ` Every LEO ever

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: soberbacchus

If the President is Really All for this , you can Bet it will somehow be a Benefit to American Workers in the Long Run . His Motivations are Never Really known to the Public until he Actually Acts ........

You have to understand and forgive people who have a small mental footprint.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

The idea that it's OK when "our" side does it is rediculous.

This isn't partisan.

His own Commerce Department accused ZTE of a conspiracy to sell technology to Iran and lying to US investigators and covering it up.

This isn't "Libs" asking WTF. It is everyone that knew what ZTE was doing, left, right and center.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

So your argument is since the us spies on its citizens China should spy on Americans.

Do you think China would do better with the global power than the US?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Trying to Figure Out what President Trump will do or not do is a Fool's Errand . You are just going to Wait and See if your Conclusions are Right.....

Just for context...could you please explain your use of caps in these posts?

I like them .

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Brilliant insight.

Did these "former agents" have anything to say about the NSA spying on all US citizens?

Sooo...

NSA Spying on Americans BAD? OK
Why does that mean Trump should save a company that helps China spy on Americans and sells US Tech to Iran?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

how do you know they weren't. but, you're okay with china spying. LOLOL

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Half a billion dollars in lost sales revenue annually hurts no matter how big your company is.

And again, you are conflating "find a way" with "dropping all repercussions" which is not at all immediately clear.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

No spying on American citizens should never be glossed over. Be it by hostile foreign actors or hostile domestic ones.

Thinking that 2% of Americans have Chinese equipment from this company (at the most) is worse than EVERY carrier in America giving up intel on citizens is insane.

Taking the word of domestic spies that foreign spies are bad is even worse.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Trump and Xi Jinping are butt buddies.

Trump has said how much he admires that Xi Jinping has all but in name made himself emperor. Trump is always praising him.

Now Trump is doing his bestie a favor saving their companies. Companies that spy on America.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Do you believe that taking the word of one spy over another spy is smart?

No one should be spying on American citizens. It should be the job of the Intel Community to ensure it doesn't happen. They should not be working to secure the privilege for themselves.

I think America is the best the world can hope for as a "world power" though we leave a lot to be desired.

Who made China a competitor for the belt to begin with? Who made them a preferred trading partner?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

As far as Iran and trading goes - were you for or against Trump pulling us out of the deal and restoring sanctions or were you against.

Please do not pretend you care about Iran's trade partners as a matter of American security. Either we allow them to trade freely or we have an embargo against them. Who is President should not matter in that decision.

Yet, it does. It is TDS not security.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Yes I think trusting American Intel is better than trusting Chinese Intel.

I believe as bad as you think America is its 1000 times better than life in China.

So I will continue to be on the side of the US.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

The head of the FBI and other intelligence chiefs in congressional testimony this year urged American citizens to steer clear of products from ZTE and its Chinese rival Huawei. And just two weeks ago, the Pentagon banned the companies' phones from being sold on military bases, saying they "may pose an unacceptable risk to Department's personnel, information and mission." ...

Adam Segal, director of the Digital and Cyberspace Policy Program at the Council on Foreign Relations, called Trump’s instruction to his Commerce Department to assist ZTE "highly unusual, given the intelligence community has given several unambiguous warnings about using ZTE and Huawei products."

digg.com...

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Let me clarify your jab.

I have always been and will always be on the side of AMERICA. I despise anyone spying on our citizens, whether they are foreign or domestic.

I do not have to "side" with American spies to be on the side of America.
I do not have to "side" with the government to be on the side of America.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

i think trump is planning to force self-reliance of america by supporting china becoming self-reliant, he can see chinese companies replacing american companies in china and eventually they will cut trade with us.

these moves by trump are creating a shift in america towards self-reliance, even if the effect is small, but it's waking people up to the truth, that with how things are now, we will be left stranded if we keep relying on other nations for what we can do ourselves.

to become self-reliant we needed a crisis that wasn't too catastrophic, if not then the future crisis, when china cuts off trade, could destroy our economy. chinese self-reliance is inevitable no matter what we do, so why not just push it along faster while benefiting from it to regain our own self-reliance.

maybe i'm wrong but it wouldn't be the first time another nation learned from us then cut us off after nationalizing everything our companies left behind.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Thinking that 2% of Americans have Chinese equipment from this company (at the most) is worse than EVERY carrier in America giving up intel on citizens is insane.

??? Where the hell did you pull that number from?

They have 12% of the US Cell Phone Market.
www.counterpointresearch.com...

And that doesn't count all the other telecomm and networking equipment it sells.

ZTE operated in three business units: carrier networks (54%), terminals (29%) and telecommunication (17%). ZTE's core products were wireless, exchange, access, optical transmission, and data telecommunications gear; mobile phones; and telecommunications software.[2] It also offers products that provide value-added services,[3] such as video on demand and streaming media.[4] ZTE primarily sold products under its own name, but it is also an OEM.[5] ZTE is one of the top five largest smartphone manufacturers in its home market.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

So you just made up the 2% number?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
"WTF I love globalism now!!!"

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join