It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Ronny Jackson withdraws as Trump’s nominee to lead Veterans Affairs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Ronny Jackson withdraws as Trump’s nominee to lead Veterans Affairs

Ronny L. Jackson, President Trump’s embattled nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, withdrew from consideration Thursday amid mushrooming allegations of professional misconduct that raised questions about the White House vetting process.

“The allegations against me are completely false and fabricated,” Jackson said in a statement. “If they had any merit, I would not have been selected, promoted and entrusted to serve in such a sensitive and important role as physician to three presidents over the past 12 years.”

Jackson’s nomination had become imperiled even before Capitol Hill Democrats on Wednesday released new allegations of professional misconduct. The claims include that Jackson, the White House physician, had wrecked a government vehicle after getting drunk at a Secret Service going-away party.

The allegations were contained in a two-page document described by the Democratic staff of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee as a summary of interviews with 23 of Jackson’s current and former colleagues. The document also described Jackson’s “pattern” of handing out medication with no patient history, writing himself prescriptions and contributing to a hostile work environment with “a constant fear of reprisal.”

Veteran advocates and many lawmakers also had expressed concerns about Jackson’s lack of management experience, and some have worried that he would capitulate to President Trump’s goal of outsourcing more veteran services.

Good. Just because this guy is a doctor doesn't mean he is qualified to lead the VA. Of course he continues to deny the allegations, but at least he did the right thing and withdrew his nomination.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's a shame. By all accounts he seemed to be a pretty straight up guy. Served well. Was a credit to his profession and the uniform.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

He was a bad choice because he lacked experience in running such a large department. I might as well run the VA. I've got just about as much experience at running a huge bureaucracy as he does. Liking someone doesn't make them qualified, President Trump.

I'd keep him as the WH doctor though. Unless, of course, he is drinking on the job. But that's someone else's concern, not mine.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

He was a bad choice because he lacked experience in running such a large department. I might as well run the VA. I've got just about as much experience at running a huge bureaucracy as he does. Liking someone doesn't make them qualified, President Trump.

I'd keep him as the WH doctor though. Unless, of course, he is drinking on the job. But that's someone else's concern, not mine.

The last few VA administrators did have experience running large departments and all they did was make the VA worse.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

That doesn't automatically mean that someone with no experience will do better though.

If you go to three different doctors to get a diagnosis but are misdiagnosed each time, on your fourth attempt do you go see a car mechanic?
edit on 26-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That doesn't automatically mean that someone with no experience will do better though.

Doesn't mean he'd be worse either.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Actually it probably does.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Probably?? Lol fact is you just like that unsubstantiated claims made this man withdraw his name. He served Obama, bush and Clinton but now he wants to serve trump he is unqualified??

[SNIPPED] Don’t worry it’s still up to trump to appoint someone... trump will pick another qualified person.
edit on 4.27.2018 by Kandinsky because: Snipped ill-mannered comment

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

That may be, but we are talking about right now.

I've not been impressed with those running the VA for years. But Trump was going to fix that. Right?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

Probably?? Lol fact is you just like that unsubstantiated claims made this man withdraw his name. He served Obama, bush and Clinton but now he wants to serve trump he is unqualified??

As head of the VA? Or as White House doctor which nobody is arguing he isn’t qualified for.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Yes. Probably. I can't speak for certainty, but in literally ANY other job in existence you wouldn't trust an inexperienced person to do the same job as a trained professional with years of experience.

Also, being a White House Physician is NOT the same credentials as running a giant bureaucracy. He can totally still be Trump's WH physician and no one was debating that, so that point you made about serving Trump is absurd.

[SNIPPED] Don’t worry it’s still up to trump to appoint someone... trump will pick another qualified person.

Another? I hope he picks one to begin with. So far he is rolling gutter balls on the "qualified" angle, and this goes for all of his cabinet positions. It's nice that the Senate is finally growing a spine and pushing back on Trump's sub-par picks. It's better than confirming them then letting their position blow up due to corruption, inexperience, or both.
edit on 4.27.2018 by Kandinsky because: Snipped reference to removed comment

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I'm thinking Trump purposely nominates people with bad pasts and dirt to bring them into the "LIGHT" This way the potential swamp creatures get eliminated BEFORE they can get higher in Government ! It is Brilliant !!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Yes. Probably. I can't speak for certainty, but in literally ANY other job in existence you wouldn't trust an inexperienced person to do the same job as a trained professional with years of experience.

Also, being a White House Physician is NOT the same credentials as running a giant bureaucracy. He can totally still be Trump's WH physician and no one was debating that, so that point you made about serving Trump is absurd.

Get the f out of here. Don’t worry it’s still up to trump to appoint someone... trump will pick another qualified person.

Another? I hope he picks one to begin with. So far he is rolling gutter balls on the "qualified" angle, and this goes for all of his cabinet positions. It's nice that the Senate is finally growing a spine and pushing back on Trump's sub-par picks. It's better than confirming them then letting their position blow up due to corruption, inexperience, or both.

The guy is about to get his second star pinned on. He was a general in the military. To say he has no experience running big bureaucracy or unit is just false. For you to come here and act like he was only a physician at the local ER is also a lie.

Fact is he was and is a general about to earn another star. To say he has no experience in running large operations or managing people is just a lie.

Is it just me or do generals in the military still command troops?

For the record sake admiral but same thing as general.

edit on 26-4-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
As someone who has actually worked in the government civil servant system. I would contribute this: The person at the top is mostly a figurehead, used to give your agency “weight” when interacting with other agencies. Yes, they can set policy, howevever the intelligent ones quickly realize who the agency solid performers are and consult them on significant matters.

You do not have to have run a same size agency to be successful. Do you think people are just born into running a large agency? Hardly. They work their way up or are hired because of skillset and/or prior project successes.

That said, I’ve also worked with active duty licensed medical doctors. In my experience, they are allowed to get away with misconduct others wouldn’t because the military is afraid they can’t replace them. Even this guy could probably make much more in the private sector. Some stay for the retirement, some are patriotic, and some stay because they owe the government years for paying off school debt. But military doctors are almost untouchable due to shortages.

In the end, this guy should have been vetted better and never sent up based on misconduct allegations. Without those, and the judgement issues they indicate if valid, I’m sure he could have been successful running the VA.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

I'm thinking he nominates people who he "likes", but are not qualified. Not Brilliant!!!!

Jared still working on Middle East peace? LOL!!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

The guy is about to get his second star pinned on. He was a general in the military. To say he has no experience running big bureaucracy or unit is just false. For you to come here and act like he was only a physician at the local ER is also a lie.

I didn't come in here acting like that; at no point have I questioned his authority or experience as a doctor. I also already told you that he can still be the WH physician since no one was debating his qualifications there. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Running a military unit is WAAAAAAAY different than running a civilian organization. If you think otherwise then you clearly have never served in the military. Did you know that the military hands out ranks to people with no leadership training if they have college degrees? Additionally, there are doctors in military hospitals with Major or higher ranks just because they are doctors. Don't automatically assume that rank = skilled leader when it comes to the military.

Fact is he was and is a general about to earn another star. To say he has no experience in running large operations or managing people is just a lie.

Fact is, you don't know what you are talking about.

Commanding troops that fall under the UCMJ isn't the same as leading an organization that is governed by bureaucracy and civilian laws. Why do you keep repeating the same point? Do you think that repetition makes it more credible or something?

Yes, equally as inexperienced.
edit on 26-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
i applaud this.

the VA is in shambles, and Trump wanted to appoint a drunken monkey to head it.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

That may be, but we are talking about right now.

I've not been impressed with those running the VA for years. But Trump was going to fix that. Right?

I guess we'll never know with this candidate.

But maybe doing the same thing over and over again might produce different results this time.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I didn't come in here acting like that; at no point have I questioned his authority or experience as a doctor. I also already told you that he can still be the WH physician since no one was debating his qualifications there. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Running a military unit is WAAAAAAAY different than running a civilian organization. If you think otherwise then you clearly have never served in the military. Did you know that the military hands out ranks to people with no leadership training if they have college degrees? Additionally, there are doctors in military hospitals with Major or higher ranks just because they are doctors. Don't automatically assume that rank = skilled leader when it comes to the military.

Fact is, you don't know what you are talking about.

Commanding troops that fall under the UCMJ isn't the same as leading an organization that is governed by bureaucracy and civilian laws. Why do you keep repeating the same point? Do you think that repetition makes it more credible or something?

Yes, equally as inexperienced.

So you made it to the rank of general? You’re speaking from your years of experience commanding a unit or platoon? And all your years as a physician? How did that go?

Fact is you know nothing about either position because you have never even been close to them. You are in no position to say what a general or physicians responsibilities are.

You just don’t like the guy because trump picked him. You won’t like the next pick either.... just wait.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Ronny Jackson withdraws as Trump’s nominee to lead Veterans Affairs

Ronny L. Jackson, President Trump’s embattled nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, withdrew from consideration Thursday amid mushrooming allegations of professional misconduct that raised questions about the White House vetting process.

“The allegations against me are completely false and fabricated,” Jackson said in a statement. “If they had any merit, I would not have been selected, promoted and entrusted to serve in such a sensitive and important role as physician to three presidents over the past 12 years.”

Jackson’s nomination had become imperiled even before Capitol Hill Democrats on Wednesday released new allegations of professional misconduct. The claims include that Jackson, the White House physician, had wrecked a government vehicle after getting drunk at a Secret Service going-away party.

The allegations were contained in a two-page document described by the Democratic staff of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee as a summary of interviews with 23 of Jackson’s current and former colleagues. The document also described Jackson’s “pattern” of handing out medication with no patient history, writing himself prescriptions and contributing to a hostile work environment with “a constant fear of reprisal.”

Veteran advocates and many lawmakers also had expressed concerns about Jackson’s lack of management experience, and some have worried that he would capitulate to President Trump’s goal of outsourcing more veteran services.

Good. Just because this guy is a doctor doesn't mean he is qualified to lead the VA. Of course he continues to deny the allegations, but at least he did the right thing and withdrew his nomination.

I'd withdraw after the media character assassination. I bet he thought it wouldn't be a problem since the all mighty Obama endorsed him and was used in past administrations. But suddenly he's the candy man for pills.

I don't blame the guy at all for withdrawing

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join