It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birth-giver that left kids behind for trip to Germany gets probation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Erin Macke, the Iowa "mother" that left her four children home alone while she took a trip to Germany for two weeks has entered an Alford Plea and received two years of probation. The children ranged in age from six to 12. Macke claimed to have made attempts to secure a babysitter before leaving, but when she couldn't find anybody to watch the kiddos, decided the best thing to do was to leave them at home and go on the trip anyway.

When police came to the house to conduct a welfare check and were able to make contact with Macke, she more or less confirmed the above information and then decided that the next best thing to do would be to hang out in Germany for another week because y'know, she's already there and everything and Oktoberfest is way more important than her kids, legal troubles, or anything as insignificant as losing custody of said kiddos. Custody of two of the kids was awarded to their father, while the other two kids are in limbo still. A no contact order was put in place, aside from supervised phone calls.

Macke was charged with four counts of child endangerment and one count of making a firearm available to a person under 18, thanks to her decision to leave a gun out when she left. The plea agreement saw the gun charge dropped entirely.

The judge urged Macke to get counseling in an effort to get the custody order modified, stating

"I believe these children need to have some sort of direct contact with their mother as soon as possible,"

It's mind blowing to me that a judge can state their belief that children need to have contact with a "mother" who not only left them alone while she took a trip across the globe for two weeks, and then didn't bother to come home for days after police contacted her about it, but then continues to not acknowledge any wrong-doing on her part and blames the childrens' fathers for "fanning the drama surrounding this case." Yea, Judge, those kids sure do need to be around that type of "mother."

Article

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

She should have had goldfish instead since they are flushable and kids, for the most part, are not.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Wow, aged 12, 12, 6, and 7, to leave the country with them fending for themselves, and with access to a firearm...just wow.
She got away light and I hope she changes as a person, working hard to eventually offer some kind of loving relationship with the poor kids.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

One can hope, but given her so far near total lack of even understanding what all the fuss is about, I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Should need a licence to breed.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Sad for some kids in the world isn't it. I know a few crappy parents, kids ain't starving or anything, but feral with no control, guidance, or supervision. It saddens me because I absolutely loved all ages of being dad, I'm still dad now but it doesn't feel the same now nobody is dependent on me for everything.

I feel for all kids who are neglected emotionally. I have never been rich parent in cash, but rich in love, fun, understanding, empathy, adventures, and honesty. My son won his place to a top free state school but was the poorest there, his mates with rich parents were at my house all the time craving understanding and honest caring 'dad advice'.
Poor and rich equally neglect their kids, just in different ways, in my experiences at least.
edit on 20-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
From the article:

As part of the deal, prosecutors also dropped one count of making a firearm available to a person under the age of 21.

But that does not change the fact that the children were in danger when they were left alone in the home with a gun, she said.

Her right to own firearms should be revoked immediately since this incident shows she's not responsible enough to own one.
edit on 4/20/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What's a "birth giver"? Is that the new hip way of saying mother, or what?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Definitely a woman who has given birth to a person who is genetically tied to that person, but also I would imagine used to describe someone who isn't mother material, just as how men have been termed as "sperm donors" but don't take any interest in their children, or walk away.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
very empowering

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Love your reply. Thanks for being there for those kids. My parents were awesome but emotionally unavailable to me and my siblings. Several adults through my childhood showered me with love, respect, kindness and believed in me. These people changed my life and made me feel heard and loved.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
What's a "birth giver"? Is that the new hip way of saying mother, or what?

Do you think somebody who squirts out a few kids and then takes off on a trip to Europe is a mother? Or more of somebody who gave birth but doesn't seem to do much in the way of mother-type things?

She doesn't seem interested in doing much mothering, so far be it from me to saddle her with "the name of God in the lips and hearts of little children."

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleLady

I prefer 'birth facilitator' it removes the implied 'gift' of 'giver'.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Poor little things. This is despicable and beyond selfish. Octoberfest?? You want a sausage and beer more than you want the arms of your little ones wrapped tight around you saying how much they missed you?

I guess the judge decided the kids needed some type of routine/familiarity in their lives, maybe he thought a foster situation would be worse. I just hope these kids have someone that is genuine, and gives these kids what is obviously missing from the mother.

Beyond sad.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Very appropriate.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Ah thank you, I knew more about what was going on in the peer group growing up than all the rich parents who the kids were too scared to be honest to. If some of those snooty fathers who looked down on me knew how much I helped their sons, and helped fix their relationships with their sons through my words, they'd thank me.

Bonus for me though, I've got a generation of 20 something males who all say hi to me with a hug in town, and will cover my back if ever I need help. I'm well safe when I go to bar/clubland lol.

EDIT
My dad was emotionally unavailable to me through my life, and I think that's what inspired me to work hard at my job of being there for my child. You know, don't want your child to suffer the things you didn't like as a child.
Glad I did as well, my lad is a big hard prop forward rugby player these days, he'd do me in a fight, although in snow a few weeks ago, I wrestled him and got him in a hold once lol...but he's kind and gentle, same as me, see a snail in the middle of the pavement/sidewalk he'll pick it up and give it a lift to the greenery it was headed for.

edit on 20-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Shamrock is right when he quoted: "the name of God in the lips and hearts of little children." It wasn't until I held my baby in my arms and would just stare and eat her up with my eyes and very being did I have this realization of what I must be like to her. In her brain and as she grew, she would relate to me as her God. I don't mean that in a sacrilegious or egotistic way, but it made me just so much more acutely aware of my role in her life. I was/am everything to her. Oh, how I embraced and treasure such need, such intensity. Being a father or mother, or role model, mentor in a child's life is the most important role we could ever have. I would do anything for my children, for any other child. They are innocent, they are vulnerable and they are susceptible to every thing that could taint/harm/twist them. And they love and joy they give back are beyond priceless. It is the purest form of love, beyond that of a pet of course.

You are a treasure, a hero - and I don't say that lightly. These young people will treasure your words and how you treated them will be how they father their own children. You will continue to change lives as your love and advice is carried onwards. Now THAT is a legacy.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Feeling some serious bonding happening right now. (ha, ha) (but serious too).

I say that even though it sounds super emotional because when one has grown up with emotionally distant parents/any important relationship, one realizes how important and so easy it is to be more emotionally invested in the other person, to really see that other person. I'm not one for small talk, I always go to the heart of the matter.

So I said it. And I think you "get" it.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

You sound the same

It saddens me whenever I see stories like this but none of us can do more than our the best for the people actually in our lives. Every child who crosses my path is treated as I would my own, and I just don't get how people don't buy into the same.
I was chatting with my mate the other day and I observed that most people pushing prams/buggies with their babies in are looking at their phone, not their child.
When I was pushing a pram I was all 'oh hiya my beautiful lil thing' 'ah, where's the baby?!' (hand over face then revealed with a smile and laughter...all the magic of being a parent when they're tiny.
I worry for future generations, honestly.

...oh I added an edit to my post you replied to in case you missed it

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I do not in any way, shape, or form understand how any person can come to the same conclusion that the judge did. Not only is she not getting jail time, he also believes the children need actual contact with this woman??

If I decided not to go to my job so I could go on a trip to Germany, I would be fired for what they call "job abandonment". Using the same logic, she pretty much did what I call "child abandonment" and should have nothing to do with those children again..........at least until they're old enough to want to seek her out. Then they can ask her wth was her problem. :

top topics

<<   2 >>

join