It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocala Florida high school shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Florida high school shooting leaves one student injured; suspect in custody
Kathleen Joyce 1 hr ago

At least one student was injured in a shooting at a Florida high school Friday and a suspect was in custody, police said.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office said the incident occurred at Forest High School in Ocala, Fla. School board member Nancy Stacey confirmed to Fox News that the suspected gunman and person injured are both students. The student was allegedly shot in the ankle and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Ocala Florida high school shooting

And another student brings a gun to school with the intention of shooting ... someone or something.

Chris Oliver said his 16-year-old son, a student at the school, told him the shooting happened near his classroom. The boy told Oliver the shooter was standing in the hallway and shot at a closed classroom door. The shooter then dropped an unspecified weapon, ran and tried to hide...

This is a developing story - fresh news. Withholding opinion (beyond "this really has to stop.")

+28 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

We aren't teaching our kids how to deal with issues that might effect them.

We aren't teaching our children how to cope.

We aren't teaching our children how to problem solve.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Thankfully no body was killed, AND the shooter is in custody. I hope this helps our society get some answers and data in order to minimize such events in the future (usually the shooter is dead when all is said and done...)

the shooter was standing in the hallway and shot at a closed classroom door. The shooter then dropped an unspecified weapon, ran and tried to hide...

The shooter finally "snapped" and then immediately regretted it, perhaps?

edit on 20-4-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think this is spot on... but that we also haven't taught their parents how to deal with issues and how to cope and how to problem solve.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

That's a really odd description by that 16-year-old...this is a definite wait-and-see scenario for more details.

Sounds like some Manchurian Candidate stuff at this point.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't have much to say anymore about these tragedies except that if the shooter is alive I hope he or she gets the help they need and I hope it works. I hope the injured gets the therapy and assistance they need and I hope it works. I'm glad no kids died.

It's distressing as a parent it really is. As a kid I had anxiety about this but I had so many books in my bag I figured if it came down to it I'd just have to protect my head and chest and get out of dodge. As a parent I feel like I'm much less in control of any situation my baby might find himself in. Even scarier for me he is only in preschool -I can't prepare him for this yet. I don't want to. I will have to though at some point.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Government resorts to violence to get it's way.
Assad won't kneel so let's bomb him.
Hollywood and video games send the same message; violence is the answer.
Negotiation? compromise?
As DBcowboy points out we don't teach those skills.
I'm surprised we don't have more shootings in schools actually.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Slight update and clarification:

The gunman is a 19-year-old man who doesn't attend the school, and the victim is a 17-year-old boy who is a student, Woods said. The boy was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, he said.

It's unknown how the gunman got on campus or whether he's a former student, the sheriff said. He called the shooting intentional.

WFTV9

So, apparently he wasn't a student, and now we have yet another instance of a non-student getting onto campus with a firearm and using it unchecked. Luckily this time, he stopped after one shot, apparently, instead of continuing.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Video games and Hollywood?

edit on 20-4-2018 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Fake news, believe me.... Just another ploy to take our guns.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Fake news, believe me.... Just another ploy to take our guns.

Sarcasm?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
All the schools in the county are on lockdown. Pretty crazy driving past them and seeing gates shut and heavy police presence. My daughter was feeling sick and I was around the corner from her school when I got the notification that it was locked down. Gonna be a long day...

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

These children are in pain. Pain from a world devoid of love. A world where it's more important to compete for supremacy than it is to bring those who are down back up to a stable level.

When people experience pain such as this they can lash out at anyone and everyone attempting to cause others to feel the pain they are feeling.

I'm sure SSRIs, hallucinations, voices and the like associated with mental illness plays a large role in many of these situations. However, I believe a desire to make others feel the pain they are feeling is the root of the problem.

These kids are overwhelmed by a world that would rather devour them than enlighten them. A world that would like to shove them in a box with a label rather than have them use their imaginations and express their freewill. A world that would have them compete for the basic necities of life rather than insure that everone matters enough for a home and a proper meal.

Until we change the way we interact with each other we should expect to see our children lash out. Most of the time we escape tragedies like this because the child harms only themselves and those close to them. But sometimes they want to take the world down with them, and by any means necessary they excersie their imaginations and freewill and destroy as many lifes as possible.

It's time to love one another and see each other as more valuable than the numbers on a pay check.

edit on 20-4-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The shooter was not a "kid", it was a 19 year old man.

OCALA, Fla. - A 19-year-old man shot a 17-year-old student at a Marion County high school Friday, prompting a massive police response 19 years to the day of the mass shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado, officials said.

Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods said a school resource officer heard a loud bang about 8:39 a.m. and immediately rushed to the source of the sound. Within minutes, at about 8:42 a.m., the officer reached the shooting scene and the shooter was in custody, officials said.

Woods said the man did not resist. A motive has not been released but Woods described the shooting as "intentional."

Man shoots 17-year-old student at Ocala high school, deputies say

So, not a case of students and kids shooting each other at all. Someone that is over 18 is no longer a "kid" but an adult. And, as such, is subject to adult rules and laws.

ETA: And, the school resource officer actually rushed to the scene and engaged the shooter (who was in hiding). There were no more injuries as a result of that and the shooter dropping the weapon. Sounds like a personal beef to me....or a drug deal gone bad.

edit on 4/20/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The shooter finally "snapped" and then immediately regretted it, perhaps?

Wasn't programmed well enough is more like it. (if they were, also would have taken their own life). If we see this guy disappear into Fed custody, then we'll know.

We'll need some more details (like former student?) etc., but when you got a 19 yr old kid just coming out to school, who apparently wasn't aiming at a specific person, it's a bit too Manchurian Candidate for me.

At least in this situation, SOME of the measures worked. Had an armed school resource officer not been present, who knows, we could be looking at more injured or dead. Had the school not gone on lockdown, same deal. Many things were done RIGHT here.

Sounds like a personal beef to me....or a drug deal gone bad.

Except it doesn't seem like he had a specific target from accounts. Also, it would have been far easier to wait until the walkout, and THEN target a specific person. (and probably an easier getaway outside). This doesn't seem like a rational plan, but a programmed one, with the shooter then "snapping out of it" and panicking. Still far too many unknowns still though. Could be more love triangle, and just wanting to punish everyone in that class, but then lost nerve, etc. Who knows?
edit on 20-4-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

All the procedures they trained for worked and worked well. My problem is the same as all the other times, how are these people gaining entry so easily and why isn’t that being addressed. What’s the saying an ounce of prevention. A simple solution in my mind is a one way in to campus one way out with a checkpoint at a distance from the entry door. Metal detector armed guard and no entry without passage through that person(s).

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
a reply to: Gazrok

All the procedures they trained for worked and worked well. My problem is the same as all the other times, how are these people gaining entry so easily and why isn’t that being addressed. What’s the saying an ounce of prevention. A simple solution in my mind is a one way in to campus one way out with a checkpoint at a distance from the entry door. Metal detector armed guard and no entry without passage through that person(s).

We need.........

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Sounds like a personal beef to me....or a drug deal gone bad.

Or a drug prescription gone bad...

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

how are these people gaining entry so easily and why isn’t that being addressed.

Yep, I've said this on social media until I'm blue in the face.

We need an armed resource officer in every school. A high perimeter fence, and limited entrances/exits, with calibrated metal detectors at those entrances and exits. (to only go off when enough metal for a gun/ammo, etc.). Any such detection triggers a timed electronic lockdown of the school in 30 seconds (requires a manual override for false alarms).

Also, specialized alarms for different situations, so there's a unique alarm for a shooter on campus. (so students know to hunker down and secure the area).

However, even these measures have one key flaw....the dreaded car circle. This is basically a shooting gallery. I'm surprised no shooter has done it yet. (and thankful they haven't)....but it's a security risk that really needs a better solution.
edit on 20-4-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

I think this is spot on... but that we also haven't taught their parents how to deal with issues and how to cope and how to problem solve.

Well, that is because we have been failing our children for several decades now....and those first failed children are now parents....maybe even grandparents by now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join