It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly..........

One of the reasons I don't visit ATS anywhere near as much as I used to.
Too many people wanting to impose their opinions and viewpoints on others, cyber warriors who aren't worth a nut in real life, intolerance and bigotry and a total unwillingness to listen to any opposing points of view with an open mind.

And far too many bans that have forced really good members away.

Still, I guess that's all for another time and place.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

No. Its a story for discussion. We will render opinions on it.

If you tally up the crap taking....i dont think the UK is a victim here.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
On topic;

I'd hazard a guess and suggest the burglars were bag heads.

Hats off to the guy, he should be given a medal.

T&C prevent me from describing what I would do to anyone I caught burgling my house.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
ATS needs it’s iwn crypto curancy.

So we can nake bets on stuff

I would out 10 ATS dollars, that the 78 year old is white and the people that broke into his house are not white. The skin colour of the people envilved is why common sense and logic are being removed from this situation and murder charges are being implied to this situation

White people don't commit crimes over there?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
In the U.K. self Defense comes down to being a proportional response to defend yourself.

Two against one ..... and the possibility of the ages of the two in all probability

wont even add up to his 78 yrs. and having screw drivers as weapons, has surely got

to be 'a reasonable defense??

Arresting the poor guy is just a standard thing they have to do. He did kill a guy after all, the cops can’t just walk away after that

I think he should have seen a doctor .... I bet he was in a terrible state of shock, I

dont suppose the two just stood there and let him stab them..... I bet he was

roughed up quite a bit and in shock.

I don’t have much sympathy though for anyone who trys to rob a old man in his home.

How does the saying go ..."A mans home is his castle" where

he should feel and be safe.
edit on 4-4-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Ok, lemme get this straight...2 guys break into an old man's house, at least one armed with a screwdriver, there's a struggle and one of the guys gets stabbed.... and they arrest the 78 year old man for murder.

Hey, call me crazy, but here's an idea...If you don't want to get hurt DON'T BREAK INTO PEOPLE'S HOUSES.

ZERO sympathy for the dead guy and I hope the old man gets cleared.

Sadly in the UK he will likely face some form of charges. They are backwards over there, God Bless America, where you can defend yourself, and not be called a criminal.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Arresting the poor guy is just a standard thing they have to do. He did kill a guy after all, the cops can’t just walk away after that.

Sure they can. "Two men broke into your house and you defended yourself? Well done Citizen, we will leave now. If anything changes we will come back, so don't leave the country in the next week. Of course we won't arrest someone for defending themselves, we don't want to give people the impression that defending themselves is a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Case proven.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Sure fine... If this man gets convicted then you're all right, if nit, you're all jumping the gun with very little information on the case still.

Let's see if this 78 year old gets charged with murder.

Don't let tabloid fool you....

For me, the fact he was arrested is bad enough. Even if they let him go free, they still held him unjustly for an amount of time he could have been free. Will he be compensated for that unjustified arrest? Will he get his livelihood back if he was forced to miss out time at work? or with his family? or just being free? Of course not. That's NOT ok. If someone breaks into my house and I defend myself and god forbid one of them loses their life, I would want to be with my friends and family and get over that trauma, not be arrested.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

He would have seen a doctor if needed it’s standard procedure that people see a custody nurse then a doctor if required.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

Even in the USA a person would be taken into custody for questioning if that person had killed someone in their own property.

Do you honestly think the police would just take someone's word that they'd killed someone in self-defence etc?
Of course not.
Due process demands that ALL the facts have to be established prior to any decision on prosecution is taken place - that process includes questioning the person who killed.

I'm not saying the person would be prosecuted, but they'd sure as hell be questioned under caution.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Once again the American Bill of Rights is genius. What the hell is wrong with the U.K? Arresting people for defending themselves and for words that are mean. What a damn hell hole.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What is wrong with you people?

The guy will be questioned under caution and the investigation will try to establish all the FACTS surrounding the case prior to any decision on whether to prosecute or not will be made.

I'm almost certain the same sort of procedure occurs in the USA after such killings.

Or would you rather the police just take a persons word for it after they've killed someone without establishing exactly what happened?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You are making a lot of sense but I am afraid this is an emotive subject and it looks like common sense has gone out of the window.

I would be amazed if he is actually charged. Yep, due process is all that is going on here.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

UK.

Their country, their laws.

The gent DID commit murder. I would think it was justified.

My opinion? He should be given a medal.

Just to be a dick, however, did he have a license for the "assault screwdriver"?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just to be a dick, however, did he have a license for the "assault screwdriver"?

He didn't, he took it from one of the intruder who was armed with it...cherry on the cake

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Metallicus

Or would you rather the police just take a persons word for it after they've killed someone without establishing exactly what happened?

Knowing every case is different, my answer is yes. If my 75 year old grandfather, with no criminal history whatsoever, had two intruders break into his house and he defended himself and one of them ended up dead then yes I would like the people hired to protect and serve the citizens take his word for it. They can easily ask him to stay in the country for a week or so while they investigate.

I don't think it should be so far fetched to think that a 75 year old man didn't suddenly become a mastermind murderer and invite two men to break into his house in order to murder one of them. Again, but him under surveillance sure, no need to arrest him.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9
a reply to: DBCowboy

He didn't, he took it from one of the intruder who was armed with it...cherry on the cake

Sweet!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I don't think this is going to split our opinions at all.

Any one of us would do the same.

If charges are brought against this man, the country will support him.

I think, if anything, this will be a political nightmare for the finance gang that claims to protect us.

I don't think the Police can afford to press charges on this one.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

The arrest is a formality, and given that he was out manned, and with the greatest respect, an elderly gentleman, it is HIGHLY unlikely that anything further will come of this, from a legal point of view. The chances of it winding up at trial are FANTASTICALLY low, given the circumstances.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join