It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ready Player One.....review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I know the gamers will love it but despite the fantastic cgi and music... the movie was a pandering, cheezy, stupid attempt at being hip. Shallow characters, gratuitously profane screenplay and a half assed attempt by Penn and Cline at screenwriting. Continuity glitches any filmschool editor would have seen and not let slide. There were some beautiful scenes that disintegrated in Ed Woodesque "they won't notice" BS directing.
I'm learning not to expect too much from Spielberg.

Another time when the trailer is better than the movie.

edit on 3-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So it wasn't based very well on the novel and the message that novel was offering?
edit on 3-4-2018 by frostjon361 because: typos

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostjon361

So it wasn't based very well on the novel and the message that novel was offering?

That was obvious. "you need to read the book before the movie" is total BS. The movie needs to stand alone RPO fell on it's pretentious face.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
IMDB gives is 8/10, Rotten Tomatoes 7/10, so despite your distaste, the movie is doing well. I have found it very helpful to "read the book" for additional information. The movie will appeal to gamers, but also to people with some historical knowledge of computers and gaming in general, all the way back to text Adventure. If you don't have that knowledge or are uninterested, I can see why the movie wouldn't be good for you. But your review is not so much a review at all, but a short opinion piece devoid of any real information about the movie at all. As such, it isn't really very helpful.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I know the gamers will love it but despite the fantastic cgi and music... the movie was a pandering, cheezy, stupid attempt at being hip. Shallow characters, gratuitously profane screenplay and a half assed attempt by Penn and Cline at screenwriting. Continuity glitches any filmschool editor would have seen and not let slide. There were some beautiful scenes that disintegrated in Ed Woodesque "they won't notice" BS directing.

I have to say, I respect your movie reviews. I might just wait till it comes out on DVD/stream.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I loved the book !! I know movies never do books well...but...I guess I'll see

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: olaru12

I have to say, I respect your movie reviews. I might just wait till it comes out on DVD/stream.

Thanks, But if you are a fan of CGI festivals, it really needs the big screen, visually it was great. A 50" will probably be fine.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I go to movies to be entertained, to be taken somewhere out of my own head for two hours.

The shape of water did that for me even though I felt it was overrated.
Three billboards had a fricken terrible story with good acting, highly disappointed.
Star Wars had so many issues it just plain pissed me off.

I want to see this movie and I hope it can entertain me.
I don't know that I'm willing to drop $50 to see it.

Infinity war starts in a few weeks, that will get my $50.

Thanks for the review...

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I was SO disappointed... I really liked the book, even tho it was not "literary" or even that good a sci-fi effort, but it was a basic "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory " w good vs bad fun... the movie had NONE of the tension or resolution or nerdy coolness of the book. None.

They left out the good stuff and managed to keep the fluff without the good sense of Cline's bare boned narration.

I think Cline was intimidated by Spielberg and let his ideas get shut down and thus made it into a lackluster, even less character driven story.

Maybe folks would like it if they hadn't read the book... it'd still be fluff , or fluff-lite, but had some fun scenes and visuals and wasn't that terrible an effort, but if you liked the book, don't bother.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just came back from seeing it (imax 3d).

It was a fun movie to watch full of neat ideas, plenty of fan service of course (not a bad thing), and a fair to decent story to follow. I think the 8/10 is deserved.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
I was SO disappointed... I really liked the book, even tho it was not "literary" or even that good a sci-fi effort, but it was a basic "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory " w good vs bad fun... the movie had NONE of the tension or resolution or nerdy coolness of the book. None.

That is always the problem forever.
See the movie before reading the book, you will enjoy both
Read the book before seeing the movie and of course you will be disappointed.

"But the first game of thrones and the series were damn near identitcal in most important bits therefore thats not right".
Sure...but keep in mind it took em about 10 hours of filming book 1 of GoTs. You aren't gonna get the depth of a book in a one off movie...so its a unfair comparison.

Same with comparing a video game (with anywhere between 40-200 hours of gameplay) to a movie adaptation of said game..it will always pale in comparison

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lassiecomehome
I loved the book !! I know movies never do books well...but...I guess I'll see

Yeah. They changed some stuff, but they usually do. I just first read "Altered Carbon" then saw the series. Zowee! Totally different story.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Well, it is a pop flick and thus almost guaranteed to be disappointing and too mainstream... I knew that going in.

Also, yeah, I know re: book to film adaptation tropes, and I was determined to watch it with no expectations, anyway, and it wasn't without merit as an escapist flick.

I'm just saying it discarded most of the plot specifics that made the book enjoyable and those choices were somewhat bewildering.

SO while the villains were laughable and the main characters undeveloped, I expected that ... the surprise was that the nerdy stuff that made the book an homage to 80's subcultures were gone and the trials to find the keys to the "chocolate factory" were too easy and rushed, and the big con/switch-up where the hero out-thinks the evil, murderous corp was nerfed to death.

No tension, and thus no resolution... and thus no dopamine movie afterglow, heh.

As one who was part of the subculture the book was written for, I found this flick version missed the mark. I don't much care for entertainment diatribes, as it was just a movie, after all ... but I felt some indignation and nerd rage over this one... if one couldn't tell.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I'm a first gen gamer and thought it rubbish.
Just full of effects and Easter eggs.
Instantly forgettable.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
They just wanna ride that actual hip 1980´s train, since Stranger Things was so successful with that 80´s stuff.
They want to lure those into the cinemas that went into cinemas when they were young and movies were good, in the 1980´s. But stopped to go to cinemas meanwhile, because of bad and boring movies, the prices at the cinemas, big screens and good sound at home.

Funny thing is, i don´t even know the book, never heard of the book and movie till before last week. Where i had to read that this movie is a "must" now, one the best movies that was ever done, especially for kids of the 80`s...

I love and play games since i am 4 years old(Pong), i love reading books, i love good Sci-Fi, i am a kid of the 80`s and never ever heard of Ready Player One before. That made me curious and i searched a bit, found reviews of people that watched that movie and most of these reviews were as "positive" as Olaru´s.

If something needs an artificial hype to become "good", then something is wrong, usually the hyped movie.
Don´t believe the Hype!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
but I felt some indignation and nerd rage over this one... if one couldn't tell.

I picked up on that

But the book sounds great. as I said, I found the movie enjoyable enough. it was a entertaining flick, and now you made me want to go read the book, so gonna grab that and crack it open.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
IMDB gives is 8/10, Rotten Tomatoes 7/10, so despite your distaste, the movie is doing well. I have found it very helpful to "read the book" for additional information. The movie will appeal to gamers, but also to people with some historical knowledge of computers and gaming in general, all the way back to text Adventure. If you don't have that knowledge or are uninterested, I can see why the movie wouldn't be good for you. But your review is not so much a review at all, but a short opinion piece devoid of any real information about the movie at all. As such, it isn't really very helpful.

ahh ahh ahh, see the authority says your wrong so your wrong, i refuse to be compelled by anything you say because it is in contradiction to the position of the self proclaimed authority on the subject. blah blah blah blah blah, your opinion isnt really valid, and as such isnt helpful..

wtf?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I know the gamers will love it but despite the fantastic cgi and music... the movie was a pandering, cheezy, stupid attempt at being hip.

I kinda liked it.

That was the snip a gundman going up against mecha godzilla.

Battle star galactic scored more points with me.

What were people expecting?

edit on 4-4-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Dying to see it.

Captain America's fate.

Youtubes talked about wolverine and Captain Marvel being in it, and not being in it.

Couple more weeks.

The most anticipated movies this year imo.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Bluntone22

Dying to see it.

Captain America's fate.

Youtubes talked about wolverine and Captain Marvel being in it, and not being in it.

Couple more weeks.

The most anticipated movies this year imo.

Chris Evans (Cap) will be around until Infinity War Part II (they haven't named it, yet) and he has said he wants to exit his acting career afterwards.

I expect Cap to die in Infinity War part II, but I could be wrong.

Wolverine won't be in the MCU for a veeery long time, if at all and probably won't be Jackman but one can dream.

I'm so pumped for Infinity War...

<<   2 >>

join