It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does hate speech incite you to hatred?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I don't think that applies. Bullying is something quite different and involves threats and violent actions which are in fact crimes. Psychological torture is also a part of it and that's not relevant to whether hate speech should be censored IMO.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Ask some school shooters if they are tired of being bullied that seems to be a common connection.

We know that certain kids who get bullied will go to two extremes,, lashing out violently and suicide.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Hatred has its place in the scheme of things. So does love.

Turn, turn, turn. It’s a song by The Byrds. Look it up. Maybe give it a listen.

Trying to squeeze out hate is like trying to squeeze one end of a sausage. The other end just bulges to compensate. Then you get pieces of #, like trump. Like you.

Enantiodromia. Look that up too. 🖕🏻

edit on 974Monday000000America/ChicagoApr000000MondayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

link   
if i hate something i demand the right to say so, free of legislative repercussions.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: amazing

Consider what you wrote and then start thinking about what you hear coming out fo the mouths of some of the South African assemblymen these days.

Then that's hate speech. Because you're talking about violence to an audience that is primed for it. In this case it's poverty and an extreme sense that they've been done wrong and it's time for revenge to take back what is rightfully theirs.

That's hate speech pure and simple and it's wrong.

But it creates an interesting parallel situation even if those circumstances arose in different ways, doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Ask some school shooters if they are tired of being bullied that seems to be a common connection.

We know that certain kids who get bullied will go to two extremes,, lashing out violently and suicide.

Or turning to his family, OH WAIT! sigh

I was a fat kid in my youth and bullied. I didn't kill anyone nor myself! Why? I had my family and my CHURCH who was there for me to tell me about how people are just mean sometimes and if you let them get to you with words, THEY WIN. STICKS and STONES?
edit on 2-4-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

Even though logically we know that hate is always bad, it effects the one that hates often times, more than the one you hate. Hate never has a place. Now, evolving to that plane of nonhate and peace and tranquility is very, very hard to do for us humans.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

We know that some kids won't, or try in their way and it just seems helpless to them, hopeless to them. We also know that millions of kids turn to their parents every day as well and many kids learn to be assertive and fight back.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
if i hate something i demand the right to say so, free of legislative repercussions.

And I agree. The only difference is, say a Muslim holy man telling his flock to kill the American infidels.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

We know that some kids won't, or try in their way and it just seems helpless to them, hopeless to them. We also know that millions of kids turn to their parents every day as well and many kids learn to be assertive and fight back.

When we become stupid enough as a society to BEG our government to weaponize words and make the use of those words a crime over offending someone, just how free are we?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

When we become stupid enough as a society to BEG our government to weaponize words and make the use of those words a crime over offending someone, just how free are we?

Agreed. When we listen to MSNBC or FOX NEWS we listen to weaponized words every day though. Not saying we should censure them, but that if we're stupid enough to listen we deserve the society that we get.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Crime is crime. If a white man assaults another white man for hitting on his girlfriend there is ZERO difference in reality to a white man assaulting a black man for the same, it is only different in an artificially constructed "special status" system in which the law ridiculously classifies one as a simple assault but the other as a "hate crime" based solely on the bequeathing of that special status. Crime is crime, as I said before. Much of what I currently see called "hatred" isn't even hatred but simple disagreement and differences in motivation.

I've heard very, very little hate speech in my life. What little I have heard has steamed from the words of Hitler, of bin Laden, of Richard Dawkins, of Farrakhan, the Ayatollahs, etc. I've heard ignorant speech far too often, I've heard intolerant speech often as well, but intolerance isn't hatred any more than disagreement is. The answer, to me, is that people need to get over themselves. A person's status as someone whose ancestors met great tribulations and who, today, meet challenges at various times is simply them being human and experiencing the human experience. We're all from people who dealt with BS and each and every one of us sometimes have to hear the word "no." Deal with it, move on, STFU, and accept the fact that your skin, sexuality, and status don't mean squat and you're not special.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

And I agree. The only difference is, say a Muslim holy man telling his flock to kill the American infidels.

There are practical reasons for allowing such rhetoric to see the light of day. Frankly, I want to know who in the room is a nazi or islamist.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Agreed. When we listen to MSNBC or FOX NEWS we listen to weaponized words every day though. Not saying we should censure them, but that if we're stupid enough to listen we deserve the society that we get.

I agree!

My problem with this whole reality version of the movie IDIOCRACY is that the society I see creeping up on me is akin to the zombie apocalypse. I am trying to warn people of what's comin as many others are. The shocker will be the zombies won't be dead!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Even though logically we know that hate is always bad, it effects the one that hates often times, more than the one you hate. Hate never has a place. Now, evolving to that plane of nonhate and peace and tranquility is very, very hard to do for us humans.

Hate, cruelty, brutality always has a place in the field of space and time. Or it simply wouldn’t exist.

The plane of nonhate is outside of that, and glimpses of it are fleeting. We can’t live there. We live here, in spacetime, with all its energies and pains and reversals and karmas and limitations.

edit on 980Monday000000America/ChicagoApr000000MondayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There are practical reasons for allowing such rhetoric to see the light of day. Frankly, I want to know who in the room is a nazi or islamist.

Good point, but Sometimes they kill...like San Bernadino and the Twin Towers to name two events. You now know who the Islamist is...but at what cost.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Hate, cruelty, brutality always has a place in the field of space and time. Or it simply wouldn’t exist.

The plane of nonhate is outside of that, and glimpses of it are fleeting. We can’t live there. We live here, in spacetime, with all its energies and pains and reversals and karmas and limitations.

True to an extent...but what is the real seed of hate? Fear. It should be Love and Fear.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

They'll just be plugged into their phones.

It'll be like that Dr. Who episode where everyone had those little ear speakers and they would all stop and stand while receiving information directly to the brain.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I agree!

My problem with this whole reality version of the movie IDIOCRACY is that the society I see creeping up on me is akin to the zombie apocalypse. I am trying to warn people of what's comin as many others are. The shocker will be the zombies won't be dead!

I don't know about you, but it seems to me that Third parties, in the US are the only hope.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I think you nailed it. Incitement is dangerous and a wholly different class of speech. Hate speech is nothing but anger verbalized. How in the hell do they think they can legislate emotions?

What these laws do is create classes who cannot be criticized, which makes carrying certain agendas easier - because no one dare speak up about it. Young girls in England being raped and when the father complains he is arrested for a hate crime - WTF? No, he can't say it's Pakistani men doing it, even the news is forced to calling them "Asian" even though that also includes Sikhs, Indonesians, Chinese etc who had nothing to do with it. Something far worse than calling out the actual group doing it but instead smearing people who had nothing to do with it.

It's all about control and once you allow these laws on the books they will only proliferate. Growth is the only model government works on and you will regret ever opening that door for them and not slamming it shut instead when you had the chance.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join