It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns don't kill people....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Political, religious, and ideological radicalization and extremism, psychological disorders often derived from bullying and disfunctional families, polarizing and triggering media and news outlets, and people.. Kill people.

While guns are ultimately more effective than most other weaponry, there are many ways that a deranged person can cause harm to a large amount of people if they decide to do so.. Why do I so rarely hear solutions to this issue? I realize it's not as sensational. Imagining a depressed and angry teenager at home certainly isn't something to turn the news on for, it's certainly not shocking, surprising, or any other thing that a crime like a mass shooting is - yet different forms of extremism and psychological issues are the driving factor for countless deaths across the globe every day - ranging from suicide, to the mass shootings we've seen more of in recent years.

Is it so hard to admit that America is screwed up in terrible enough ways to cause teenagers to commit such acts? We like to point fingers at single mothers, or at fathers who left the household - yet we aren't asking what our cultural and societal role is, when we place third to fifth on the world's highest divorce rate. We aren't asking what role we play when it comes to the health of our children, of our populace as a whole.

We aren't asking the right questions at all.

Instead of promoting and strengthening families, instead of taking emotional and psychological issues far more seriously, instead of increasing education budgets and effectiveness.... We are focusing on the sensational, the polarizing issues, the radicalized media.. We're asking about guns.

And I think some want it that way.

-deadlyhope

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Oh yeah you're right. I've never heard of a gun killing any body before.

I mean, a gun killing a person? Who in the world would have such a ridiculous idea?

edit on 3/29/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Dammit thought this was a Goldie Lookin Chain thread....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

That culture which thrives on the tidbits of truth that on occasion are released from the media are a large part of the problem. The other, being the ego culture and lives that are lived and viewed online via social media.

IMO of course.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
All the kids in that school knew which kid to point to as the most likely to go on a murderous rampage before it happened.

He was visited by the Law over 70 times.

The overall "system" operating in that district directly caused a violent danger to go unchecked.

If you smell a gas leak in your house do you keep going on as if nothing is happening? When a small spark from a brush terminal on a household appliance finally obliterates your home do you blame the hairdryer or vacuum cleaner? Only if in the back of your mind all you really wanted was to collect the insurance.

The paycheck was in this case an excuse to go on a gun grabbing rampage across a nation. A heavily blue district that brought the nation Bernie gets screwed Debbie Wasshername Shutz, now has spawned a self proclaiming hero Sheriff with the nation's top "stand down" squad and a SoyBoy Wonder with a CNN Mom and an FBI dad who just happened to plant themselves in that community after Trump won it all a year previous.

This has all the makings of an honest to goodness conspiracy theory, that popped out of the toaster freshly buttered ready for consumption.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Eloquently yet simply said, every word. Truth

a reply to: JinMI

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Guns can - not all mind - go off without pulling the trigger and kill/maim people.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

You are talking about culture driving people to shoot people. At all the cultures. All the cultures except gun culture, of course.

Because guns.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The main problem is the convenience/entitlement culture. Everyone expects a "That Was Easy!" button for everything.

You see it all the time....medications, as seen on TV products, cleaners, electronics, etc., etc., etc.
A lot of people don't mind sacrificing their rights to automate their lives.....and even sacrificing others rights too. "The 2A is archaic for this day and age where technology is 'god'."

The stupidity is horrendously astonishing.

However, I must admit....this whole "connected" snip is quite ingenious when used for nefarious purposes. Look at the people marching and begging to have their rights subverted or eliminated!!! I'm not sure they can truly be called Americans with a straight face! It's unreal. They are completely focused on the object instead of the symptom.

At this point, I'm not sure we can TRULY elevate ourselves as a species any further then where we are now as well!

A.I. is the next step (to my dismay) and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with our progression. Wait until it figures out what we refuse to acknowledge about ourselves....

Game Over.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY has been replaced with apathetic, complacent, moronic "do-gooders" and their mob politics.

Yay.

We are literally building the prisons we'll very soon occupy by mere consent.

Good luck everyone.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Political, religious, and ideological radicalization and extremism, psychological disorders often derived from bullying and disfunctional families, polarizing and triggering media and news outlets, and people.. Kill people.

This sounds a lot like something that might have been published by the Soviet government back in the day.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Guns don't kill people. Nu-uh. I kill people. With guns...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

So when was the last time a rogue gun got up and started shooting people on it's own?

edit on 29-3-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

So when was the last time a rogue gun got up and started shooting people on it's own?

Guns aren't sentient beings, silly!

I am just pointing out that there are some guns that do go off without a trigger being pulled, like mechanical malfunctions, being dropped, overheating, being holstered and so on and so forth. Being a smart alec, but I suppose that my tongue poking out emoticon didn't help convey that.

So stick your thumbs down up.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

Guns aren't sentient beings, silly!

I am just pointing out that there are some guns that do go off without a trigger being pulled, like mechanical malfunctions,

If you didn't pull the trigger, then there is no mechanical action occurring for there to be a malfunction. Guns don't perform mechanical actions on their own.

being dropped,

I've seen lots and lots of loaded weapons dropped and subjected to all kinds of impacts and punishment, never seen or even heard of one go off on it's own. (17 years military, multiple deployments) You're going to to need to provide some proof for your anti-gun fear mongering fairy tales.

overheating,

A bullet might cook off inside a gun in a fire, but that is vastly different than a gun going off on it's own.

being holstered

This could only happen if the person doing the holstering had their finger on the trigger, so human error, no fault of the gun.

and so on and so forth. Being a smart alec, but I suppose that my tongue poking out emoticon didn't help convey that.

So stick your thumbs down up.

Don't spread lies and misinformation if you don't want to be called out on it.

edit on 29-3-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Radicalized media.

Lol you guys are too much.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

back at you

No wait, gimme one of those for not posting sources for my smart alec post.

Spontaneous discharge of a firearm in an MR imaging environment

Remington recall

A guy shows his going off in a safety demo.

at about 35s in he gives a demo

An article appeared on the USA Carry website regarding another type of mech fail

...this past weekend I was teaching a Firearms Instructor Bootcamp and a gun did in fact go off without anyone touching the trigger. It was the first time I’d ever seen anything like it in all of my years of teaching firearms courses. What happened was that I was teaching the Defensive Rifle portion of the course. Most people were using AR-15s and one fellow was using an AK.
We’d just finished doing a series of drills and the fellow with the AK was putting his safety on and his finger was not near the trigger. All of the sudden I heard a gunshot. Everyone was surprised since nobody was supposed to be shooting. When I got closer to the fellow with the AK you could see that his safety was cracked in half, which had somehow caused the gun to fire.

USA Carry

Fair dinkum mate, I ain't spinning anti-gun fear mongering fairy tales mate, the evidence is out there if you just look. I am not actually against guns. I see the need for them.

Here''s a
though, you've earned it!

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Guns without people don't bring about shooting incidents.
Conversely, people without guns don't bring about shooting incidents.
Shooting incidents only occur when people and guns are brought together.
Therefore the logical solution is to keep them apart.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Guns without people don't bring about shooting incidents.
Conversely, people without guns don't bring about shooting incidents.
Shooting incidents only occur when people and guns are brought together.
Therefore the logical solution is to keep them apart.

And then criminals and psychopaths will make homemade guns, and the law abiding citizen has no viable means of defense. I mean convicts have been know to make single shot guns out of paper, rubber bands, and paperclips (or thumb tacks). Someone smuggles in a bullet, and they have their gun. In the free world people have the means to create bigger badder guns and make their own bullets. And gangs, cartels, and psychopaths can and will find the right people who know how and are willing to provide thwir services. Guns are here to stay. The technology is out. Taking them away from law abiding citizens won't do anything but hurt.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

back at you

No wait, gimme one of those for not posting sources for my smart alec post.

Spontaneous discharge of a firearm in an MR imaging environment

Remington recall

A guy shows his going off in a safety demo.

at about 35s in he gives a demo

An article appeared on the USA Carry website regarding another type of mech fail

...this past weekend I was teaching a Firearms Instructor Bootcamp and a gun did in fact go off without anyone touching the trigger. It was the first time I’d ever seen anything like it in all of my years of teaching firearms courses. What happened was that I was teaching the Defensive Rifle portion of the course. Most people were using AR-15s and one fellow was using an AK.
We’d just finished doing a series of drills and the fellow with the AK was putting his safety on and his finger was not near the trigger. All of the sudden I heard a gunshot. Everyone was surprised since nobody was supposed to be shooting. When I got closer to the fellow with the AK you could see that his safety was cracked in half, which had somehow caused the gun to fire.

USA Carry

Fair dinkum mate, I ain't spinning anti-gun fear mongering fairy tales mate, the evidence is out there if you just look. I am not actually against guns. I see the need for them.

Here''s a
though, you've earned it!

From you're first source

An incident recently occurred at an outpatient imaging center in western New York State, in which a firearm spontaneously discharged in a 1.5-T MR imaging environment with active shielding. To our knowledge, this is the first documented case of such an occurrence. The event confirms previously reported theoretic risks of a firearm discharging in an MR imaging environment [1]. In this report, we examine the incident in detail from the official police and ballistic reports. Read More: www.ajronline.org...

Then you have a defect to one specific model of rifle from one manufacturer and an anecdote for a cracked safety on an AK.

If you have to dig for the most ridiculous, obscure and far fetched nonsense in an attempt to validate your BS then by all means knock yourself out.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist
All I'm saying is that my argument is the logical continuation of the argument used in the title.
If people are going to use that form of argument, they ought not to stop after the first line.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join