It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon church catastrophe.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Posting this because I used to be a part of this cult.

Rant section because I honestly don't know it's topic, and I feel pretty upset by all of this.

Recently, this happened - a high-up authority within the Mormon church used his position to lure girls into a private room, followed by sexually assaulting them.

This man has been recorded admitting guilt, yet the church as an institution has no desire to take a stance on the issue, it seems.

This isn't the first time the lds church has swept things under the rug and in fact, they have a fairly proven history of battering victims, and defending predators.

Protect the children is another recent thing happening in some news outlets, and is allegedly attracting national media outlets attention - the short of it is, middle aged men are encouraged to ask children detailed and probing sexual questions, including whether or not the children touch themselves, all behind closed doors, in private, and of course as many terrible things go, in the name of God. . It's a disgusting and repulsive thing to imagine - but the lds church has no real reply on this matter, either - in fact this is basically their reply - they supported a bill that would make recording a conversation illegal, unless both parties were informed. The lds church quite often plays their role in state politics, so says some sources.

All of this adds up to me believing that this institution is extremely bad - it gives a place for abusers to abuse and does not give the victim a place to be heard - byu actually only changed this recently - their policy to punish victims of sexual assault as if they committed those sexual acts themselves - which, for those of you who don't know, the lds church prefers having complete control over your sex life. From banning it before marriage, to even punishing self-pleasing acts, this cult truly does control the most intimate aspects of a person's life ( oh, even tells them what underwear to have on, for the record!)

Anyways, maybe I'm just jaded - but I really do believe the cult I grew up in is terrible, and needs to be under the same spotlight as its cousin, the flds / polygamist cult was under.

What do you all make of this?

-deadlyhope

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

IDK...

OBVIOUSLY, the offender should be tarred and feathered.. but it is another thing completely to point the finger at the church as a whole.

Sometimes pointing the finger at the whole institution is appropriate. Sometimes it is whatever individuals.

With something like child molestation it seems hard to believe more than a few people could be involved before someone deciding to go public.

Something else is that the reason for the coverup should be examined...

Did they cover it up because they are pro-child molestation???

Or were they afraid of the actions of an individual would paint the whole church??

Either way they were horriblely wrong, but one requires a true monster and the other an apathetic bastard..

Either way . I think the reason for the prevalence of cover-ups when it comes to religions is because THEY LITERALLY BELIEVE they are reporting to a higher power than the state...

If they believe god wants them to do “X” . The. That trumps the state law saying “Y” should happen.

Either way, hopefully all the guilty parties pay , including those willing to cover it up.

edit on 21-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The only difference between any religion and any cult is time....

The Catholic Church was knee deep in pedos..

Literally half of the household name evangelicals televangelists have had insane sex scandals..

The entire concept of religion is based on a con. Some cons are so well played they fool e eryone. Even the con artist.

So is it really any suprise a really high number of them turn out to be scam artists??

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The lds cult constantly protects themselves, and never admits fault. I don't feel it's well intended at all. From blaming and shaming victims, to having policies where the church is contacted first in cases of abuse, instead of teaching their clergy the regular, contact the authorities, way of doing things - they like to measure whether or not the institution itself can be held liable, and go from there.

Abusive fathers and husband's let off the hook constantly, but drinking coffee is grounds for deeming a person unworthy of being an honorable member - I'm not being sarcastic of joking in the slightest. this talk by a so called prophet has a story that depicts a woman wondering if coffee should really keep her out of their sacred buildings - to which the man with authority replies "surely you will not let a cup of coffee stand between you and the House of the Lord"

Now, obviously I am not insisting that all abuse is excused, but I am definitely, most definitely suggesting that this institution takes drinking coffee more seriously than they take old men asking young girls sexual questions in private - the latter is literally encouraged and part of their system. It's my expansion upon that, that I believe that people are more often "reprimanded" for things like smoking, drinking alcohol or coffee, than they are for commiting sexual atrocities

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I grew up brainwashed as a Jehovah’s Witness for the first 22 years of my life. I’m 38 now. I can tell you that they are IDENTICAL to the LDS — same cover ups about very serious matters. My father spent 52 years in. He harps over these issues incessantly. My advice, do something to contribute to their demise..... or just let it go. It does my father no good by dwelling on something he is already released from. Don’t let the negativity overtake you. They are one of MANY corrupt cults.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

This is not going to be a popular response but here goes. Seems most churches place responsibility on the woman for a man's inability to control himself. Mormon women wear 'garments' like that is going to stop any thing. Yet in the beginning of Mormons, Jews, Islam multiple wives were allowed. Christians say women, obey your husband, like men are all knowing and do no wrong. Muslims cover their women why? Because they fear other men will want them and if they do anyway it is the woman's fault. Catholic's don't allow priests to marry so they rape Boys.

This is a sick part of religion.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Why would your reply be unpopular? It's completely true - men are often defended, protected, etc, while the women are blamed, shamed, and victimized for being abused.

It is totally repulsive. I'm tired of religion being a reason for people justifying bad things.

Also tired of it for people doing good things, honestly - if you're only a good person because the threat of eternal hell is looming over your head, your really not a good person..

If you would still be a good person without that threat... You don't need religion for "moral guidance"

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I've always been told Jws are actually the worse off cousin of lds, and we gladly welcome them on the ex Mormon reddit.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

i think all religion stirs up predators under the guise of trust in "god"

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The questioning (of minors) about sexual activities is indeed a system-wide protocol, enacted internationally.
edit on 22/3/2018 by Planet teleX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
it is extremely bad. I live in Utah and have heard horror stories of mormons selling their kids to the elite when the Mormon Confrence happens.

I believe all these religions leaders are dark occultists behind the scenes.

Religion is about brainwashing your followers and using them to make money for control and power.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Am I late to the anti-Mormon circle jerk, where everyone gets their jollies off defining themselves by what they oppose?

The Church actually did put out a rather lengthy and comprehensive summary of the incident if you bothered to look into it further than the words "Mormon" and "sex". No I won't hold your hand. Look it up your damn self.

Then it's just cult cult cult cult cult cult cult cult cult how many times can we say cult in one thread?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Wasn't it John Smith or Brigham Young that had a man killed so that he could take the man's wife for another of his many?

I certainly am in the 'mormonism is a cult camp' but I have a soft spot... some of the best people I've ever met have been part of that group of people.

Like any group, my heart is with the majority at the base of the pyramid. It's those higher up the heirarchy that I have issues with. Evil runs rampant through the upper eschalons of groups with power. Religious, political, economic etc.

Hope this dude is castrated.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Is your contention that they are not a religious cult?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
It is.

And it's Joseph, not John Smith. Know a little about the topic before s# all over it, huh?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Would you walk into a PTSD sufferers' program and tell them it's "all in your heads"? There are obviously survivors in this thread, not just outside commenters. Exercise some taste and back off.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I knew that..it was an honest mistake. No need to be defensive.
I'm learning so if you can correct my errors, please do so

So Morman's call themselves Christians correct?

Traditional Christian orthodoxy says Jesus was the word,was with God, and is God. That all thing in Creation were made through him...yes? John 1. Also orthodoxy states that there is one God. None that came before or after. Isiah 43something.

Yet Mormons believe Jesus and Satan were brothers. They also believe, as I understand it, that they themselves will become Gods.

Is this true?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Either way . I think the reason for the prevalence of cover-ups when it comes to religions is because THEY LITERALLY BELIEVE they are reporting to a higher power than the state...

If they believe god wants them to do “X” . The. That trumps the state law saying “Y” should happen.

Thei consider themselves Christian I believe, Christianity does not teach what has happened

It seems that those people don't believe they will answer to anybody

The reason for cover ups? Higher power, really?

Maybe they cover it up is because it's a crime and they know it and they don't want to get caught and exposed as a cult

How people like you think JC is beyond me

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: slowisfast

Your point?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
So I'm not wrong?

If I'm not, then Mormonism is a Christian cult because it violates and subordinates scripture to modern 'translated' texts that have been edited more times in it's hundred and seventy whatever years than the independent books of the Bible have been since their first writing. Thousands of years ago.

Please make a case for Mormonism if I'm wrong. All I want is ultimate truth. To try and best understand the nature of the Universe, meaning, morality and the intangible things in life that seem more real than he physical.

Please educate me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join