It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman killed after being bitten in throat by pet pit bulls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Woman killed after being bitten in throat by pet pit bulls
metro.co.uk...

Bethany Stephens22, died after the dogs, named Tonka and Pacman, savaged her while on a walk near her home in Goochland, Va.

A coroner’s report released Tuesday revealed she died of ‘combined multiple sharp and blunt force trauma due to mauling’ by the dogs’ teeth. The investigation said Bethany had ‘defensive wounds’ on her arms and hands from trying to stop the dogs injuring her.

She is believed to have been savaged first in the throat, before the animals pulled her to the ground, where she lost consciousness and was savaged to death.

The good news is these dogs were put down immediately following the incident. When I look at that picture, I don't see a beautiful dog, I see the eye of a killer.

These dogs can snap at any time and at any age. It is in their genes. I am not here to argue for you not to own a pet of this type...but if this dog mauls you...you won't get any sympathy from me. The warning signs are everywhere.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Pitbulls and any working class dog can be a dangerous. I say this as a former pit, boxer, and rottweiler owner. They are wonder animals but in some ways they can be a loaded gun.

The problem with pits (and larger terrier breeds in particular) is that you have to really be selective about the breeder because there are so many ghetto breeders around. Knowing a dogs lineage is critical, not too mention proper training and socialization. I'd never risk adopting a full grown pit or a rescue pit.

Pits are victims of their own success with too many macho types getting them as an assessory to make themselves look tough.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I have a red pit. She was abused by her previous owners, and I have had to rehab her. She wouldn't hurt anybody... unless they were trying to hurt me or my wife or children. I feel safe knowing that she is there to help protect us. I see people bashing pits all of the time, but I have never met a bad one. They just make the news on the very rare occasions when something bad happens. Many people get pits for the wrong reasons, then abuse them. It is sad that they have a bad rap. I love my pit, and I trust her with my life. But hey, if you do not want one, don't get one. More for me

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It is beyond unlikely that these dogs "Just snapped" all of a sudden, without provocation. All anecdotal evidence to the contrary is just that, anecdotal and therefore missing HUGE chunks of history, in terms of the living conditions and treatment of the animals in question.

And people seem to think that if there are no marks on an animal, and it is well fed, there is nothing to answer there, no question to ponder. That is, with respect, flawed, valueless thinking. When I see a dog being walked by an ill spoken, loudmouthed, impatient person, when I see that person yelling at the dog, or behaving aggressively, swearing at the dog, I think to myself "and THERE is the trigger".

Pits do not "just snap". Dogs do not "just snap". Something has to have been going on prior, for dogs, or any animal or for that matter person, to snap. Just because we may not always SEE the trigger point, does not mean that there is not one, and it certainly does not mean that the dog is at fault in all cases. If we had a better understanding of canine behaviour than we do, we would have a different opinion of pits and other breeds too, and a better understanding of who should, and should not be permitted to keep a companion animal.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill

I have a red pit. She was abused by her previous owners, and I have had to rehab her. She wouldn't hurt anybody... unless they were trying to hurt me or my wife or children. I feel safe knowing that she is there to help protect us. I see people bashing pits all of the time, but I have never met a bad one. They just make the news on the very rare occasions when something bad happens. Many people get pits for the wrong reasons, then abuse them. It is sad that they have a bad rap. I love my pit, and I trust her with my life. But hey, if you do not want one, don't get one. More for me

It's more than a rare occasions with pits. We have them monthly here in the Detroit area, sometimes 2 or 3 a month. Some cities have banned them altogether.

If you think I'm joking Google things like "Toddler Mauled by pitbull Michigan", multiple incidents will pop-up. Attacks don't even make the news anymore unless there is a death.
edit on 21-2-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

When I see a dog being walked by an ill spoken, loudmouthed, impatient person, when I see that person yelling at the dog, or behaving aggressively, swearing at the dog, I think to myself "and THERE is the trigger".

Canines, have Canine teeth. They are predators, happily domesticated unless you awaken their deep instincts. Then killing comes natural to them.

Go for the throat.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just get a different type of dog. I don't understand this pitbull fan club thing. My grandparents dog was killed by a pitbull. They were walking their dog and the pitbull was chained up to a tree in the yard but the chain had way too much slack and was able to get out into the street. That one didn't make the news and I think it's not so rare that these type of incidents happen.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I live by the assumption that any dog can kill if it wants. Any breed any size. However I also understand the chances of a person of average height weight and strength is still not a great match for one or more of these stronger breeds when under attack. Therefore I don't choose to own these stronger breeds. I don't have the patience or the time or energy required to train them in the ways that they need. Even then, accidents happen. Dogs are animals. All the training and love in the world is no guarantee that something will happen in that dogs brain, and it's injury or death for you or someone else.

I love them. I think they are beautiful, but I also respect their strengths and their potential with understanding of those possibilities.

My son isn't allowed to approach dogs that are not his. I felt bad because this lady was walking her rotty by our house when we got home and by the time I got him out of the car he was crying because he wanted to pet the dog. I said no, and he cried some more. The lady (very kind of her) said "it's okay, he can pet her she's nice" and I felt rude but I wasn't trying to be, I just told her that was super kind and maybe one day he can but as of now we don't allow him near dogs that aren't ours. We would be devastated if someones dog attacked our baby and then someone had to lose their dog or be punished for an animal doing what animals do.

Edit: Oops meant to add, I feel bad for her on one hand- but on the other hand I just figure that every pet owner understand their pet could take their life or mess them up or anyone else or another animal at any time, soo... It comes with what you want.

-Alee
edit on 2/21/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Damn, what a horrible way to die.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
I live by the assumption that any dog can kill if it wants. Any breed any size. However I also understand the chances of a person of average height weight and strength is still not a great match for one or more of these stronger breeds when under attack. Therefore I don't choose to own these stronger breeds. I don't have the patience or the time or energy required to train them in the ways that they need. Even then, accidents happen. Dogs are animals. All the training and love in the world is no guarantee that something will happen in that dogs brain, and it's injury or death for you or someone else.

I love them. I think they are beautiful, but I also respect their strengths and their potential with understanding of those possibilities.

My son isn't allowed to approach dogs that are not his. I felt bad because this lady was walking her rotty by our house when we got home and by the time I got him out of the car he was crying because he wanted to pet the dog. I said no, and he cried some more. The lady (very kind of her) said "it's okay, he can pet her she's nice" and I felt rude but I wasn't trying to be, I just told her that was super kind and maybe one day he can but as of now we don't allow him near dogs that aren't ours. We would be devastated if someones dog attacked our baby and then someone had to lose their dog or be punished for an animal doing what animals do.

-Alee

A small toy dog having a bad day is not the same thing as a big pitbull having a bad day. That is the problem. A 50lb pitbull can take down a 200lb man with ease and absolutely slaughter a small child.

Dogs are predators and have a natural prey instinct (which is why they naturally fetch). It is also why a lot of times you should run from dogs as it just heightens their prey drive.

I am not afraid of any dog for the most part. However, I have a toddler now and very wary of him around dogs as it only takes a split second. Especially dogs I don't know.

I recall I was walking my Rottie one day. He was very protective of me. Generally wouldn't hurt a fly unless he perceived a threat. One day I was walking and I guess I wasn't really paying attention and a guy was cutting his lawn and somehow he walked up on me unexpectedly out of my peripheral vision. I didn't see him, but my Rottie did. Anyway, my Rott lunged at the guy. Fortunately I caught him in time and he missed him. The guy was shaken up though and it totally surprised me.

Looking back on it, it made sense. My rott was just trying to protect me. It wasn't out of malice. However, intentional or not, someone could have gotten hurt.

Even though I am a huge fan of working breeds, I probably wouldn't get one again. I'll stick to smaller toy breeds or terriers like Boston terriers, etc. I don't really need a 100+lb dog anymore.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Goochland County Sheriff Jemi Hodge said the two dogs, both aged around two-and-a-half years old, had been neglected in the run-up to the attack. Read more: metro.co.uk... Twitter: twitter.com... | Facebook: www.facebook.com...

I wonder was this young lady trying to rehab the dogs or are they saying she is at fault for the neglect?

link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Aww, but its fun to have Great Pyrenees think its a lap dog.

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

-Alee

A small toy dog having a bad day is not the same thing as a big pitbull having a bad day. That is the problem. A 50lb pitbull can take down a 200lb man with ease and absolutely slaughter a small child.

That is essentially the entire point of my post. I agree with you though, and that's why we choose medium to small breeds for our own fam.
edit on 2/21/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Detroit. That says a lot. The thing is that pits are social symbols among certain people. There are no bad dogs, there are just bad owners. Well, alright, I suppose there are bad dogs out there, but how did they get to be that way? It seems to me that pits take the blame for the abuse that is inflicted upon them, and pits are certainly disproportionately abused. People get them for the wrong reasons. They can be difficult to handle. Personally, I do not think that the breed of dog needs to be banned; I think it is the people that abuse them and raise them that ought to be banned from cities. Those people are the real danger and the real problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I've mentioned this before.
Different dog breeds are different. Some dog breeds, like retrievers, love swimming while others don't. Some dog breeds are known to be peaceful and friendly, while others are known to be more aggressive. Pitbulls were bred to fight, injure and kill things. You don't put a chihuahua in a race with greyhounds, because that's not what chihuahuas do. Just the same, it's not the wisest thing to expect a pitbull to be a loving, friendly family dog. Can they be? Sure, but their inherent nature is to kill things, which they sometimes unexpectedly do, as seen in this story.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Detroit. That says a lot. The thing is that pits are social symbols among certain people. There are no bad dogs, there are just bad owners. Well, alright, I suppose there are bad dogs out there, but how did they get to be that way? It seems to me that pits take the blame for the abuse that is inflicted upon them, and pits are certainly disproportionately abused. People get them for the wrong reasons. They can be difficult to handle. Personally, I do not think that the breed of dog needs to be banned; I think it is the people that abuse them and raise them that ought to be banned from cities. Those people are the real danger and the real problem.

I used to live in the hood. During that time, I had my Rottweiler. Do you know what the most common question was I received when walking the dog? Do you fight him?

Pretty much every guy in the neighborhood that had a Rott, Pit, NeoMastiff, etc pretty much bragged about how tough their dogs were... The dogs were merely an assessory to show toughness and they were raised in that manner.

I got my Rottie because my best friend's cousin went to the peace corp and she had to give him up, so I decided to adopt him. He was great protection, but I would have adopted a smaller breed all the same. It was never about me being a tough guy. My last dog was a #zu Poodle... lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I had 2. One died last year of old age at 16, the other is still with me. Best dogs I've ever had. Great with the kids, very protective of them and even when my kids were little and climbing all over them, they never so much as growled. Out on the street going for a walk, they're beautiful, snow white teddy bears, who love to be petted and fussed over by anyone who cares to.
In the house or on the property.....Kady is bigger than most males her breed at 34 inches tall and 150 lbs. She knows she is here as protector and will not hesitate to confront any intruder. Strangers would do well to steer clear.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

There are lots of suburbs in Detroit. And attacks are varied throughout. We had a pit attack a child about 10 years back upscale neighborhood. The original owners since it was a puppy, good home, the dog was loved and spoiled too. The attack happened when the dog got loose and roamed the neighborhood, while the child was playing in it's backyard sandbox. I personally know the family, they had to put the dog to sleep and were in court for a lawsuit.

Sad story since the kid is now disfigured for life.

They lost and had to pay $300k in restitution, and medical bills, apparently the attorney said they got off cheap.

So no, it's not the owners but rather the breed. They were built and bred to be aggressive. Are you even aware of their origins and history?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 21-2-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

This happened several months ago..........I guess that bottle takes awhile to get to the U.K.....local report said, they were eating on her ribs when the sheriffs deputies found her. Dogs had not been in her care for several weeks prior to them deciding to eat her. They were her "beloved dogs". Her dad had been in control of the dogs for awhile, she was just "visiting her beloved pits". I had two for home protection, gave then both away to pit rescue. They will bite the hand that feeds and it looks as though they will eat that very same hand.
edit on 21-2-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Say it like it is. The hood guys (what else can you call them?) these dogs are not status symbols, they are not for protection, they are one thing only WEAPONS.
All dogs are loving etc. till they have a bad day (which you fail to know) like have a toothache or some other painful condition. Then let a child "cuddle" up to them or bother them and you will not be able to predict what will happen, even if it was a family pet"wouldn't hurt a fly" pet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join