It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MITCH McCONNELL Predicts That The HOUSE and SENATE will LOSE Republican Seats in November.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
February 19, 2018

Last August, Mitch McConnell complained that President Trump is asking too much of the U.S. Senate..

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Monday expressed frustration with what he called President Trump’s “excessive expectations” of the legislative process as Republicans struggle to chalk up major achievements under a united government.
Source: thehill.com...

Two days ago, McConnell startled a lot of people, by predicting that the HOUSE and the SENATE will lose Republican seats this coming November.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says in a new interview that he expects to see Republicans lose seats in the House and Senate this year as the party pushes to retain its majorities in Congress ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.

The top Republican in the Senate told The New York Times for a story published Saturday that "the odds are" his party will face losses in both chambers of Congress this year.

“The odds are that we will lose seats in the House and the Senate,” McConnell said.
Source: thehill.com...

Why is Mitch McConnell essentially raising the White Flag of Surrender, even before the mid-term election season gets underway in earnest?

Maybe he's hoping that a Democratic majority in the Senate will reduce President Trump's expectations and pressure, to get things done?

If President Trump gets wind of these latest comments from McConnell.. BOOM!

One thing's for certain. Mitch is not in touch with reality. The lastest poll shows Republicans GAINING seats, due to the improved economy.
Source: www.cnbc.com...

-CareWeMust

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I love it when you talk sometimes.... Darnit I forgot what you said about Moore after he lost? Can you please remind us?

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou
Sorry...this thread is too new to take off-topic. Send me a PM if you want the answer. Tks.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I am a kentucky citizen. Screw mcConnell. I dont care if hillary clinton or satan himself ran against mcconnel. I'd still vote democrat.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Why is Mitch McConnell essentially raising the White Flag of Surrender,

Yes why is he? He's supposed to stand his ground against the establishment right? Him, the GOP controlled Congress and the GOP controlled Whitehouse and the conservative majority judiciary. Stuff the establishment.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Why is Mitch McConnell essentially raising the White Flag of Surrender, even before the mid-term election season gets underway in earnest?

Maybe he's hoping that a Democratic majority in the Senate will reduce President Trump's expectations and pressure, to get things done?

The bolded part is possible, though I don't think it's likely. If anything, a Democratic majority in either chamber of Congress would reduce expectations for the right wing base itself. It's much easier to run as an opposition party that blames the other side for everything wrong than to actually fix the things you claim are wrong. Being the controlling party means you now have to put up or shut up on campaign pledges, which is something they're clearly not too good at doing.

I actually think he's saying all of this to ramp up panic within the right wing so more right wing donors and voters will snap out of their complacency. Many Repub candidates are trailing behind their Dem counterparts in fundraising so far, so a little bit of fearmongering may be able to bridge that gap.

Though to be fair, I hope he's right & Repubs get pummeled throughout all of the elections this year. So by all means, let's hope he really is surrendering.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

At least in recent times, it's common for the party of first term presidents to lose seats in the midterm elections, particularly in the House. What's less common is to lose enough seats for an overall shift in power but it happens. The Dems lost both the House and Senate during Clinton's first mid-term. During Bush 43's first term, the GOP gained a few in the midterms but in the 2006 midterms, the Dems took control of both houses of Congress and a majority of governorships. And I think the Republicans got a bump in the first midterms because of 9/11.

Then the Dems gained some more seats in 2008 but during the 2010 midterms, they got trounced and lost the House and their filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

I'd say a big factor is that when a party has the presidency and Congress, they're generally on the hook for everything that goes wrong and there's always things for people to be upset about so there's always blame to be had. On the other hand, the economy has been doing well for a few years now, it's been doing even better since the election and tax cuts are always popular.

The Democrats should probably take all the pages out of the GOP playbook from the last half of Obama's 2nd term: talk about the deficit at every opportunity, question the stats on unemployment, etc.

It's going to be interesting. The economy is good which usually bodes well for the incumbents but we're hyperpolarized and Trump has been consistently unpopular. He has been up the last couple weeks — he shot up about 6 points in the first week of February which is probably mostly connected to the economy. I'm predicting that he will lose most if not all of those gains this week. There's the Russian indictment which contradicts his repeated "it's all a hoax created by Democrats" lie about election meddling.

Also, Rick Gates is going to take that deal this week. He's flipped on Manafort and it's anyone's guess what happens next. Hopefully it gets really ugly and a bunch of crooked lobbyists and politicians get dragged down. The word on the street is Gates won't be offering anything up on Team Trump. Other than the lobbying 2012-14, Manafort hasn't been active in domestic politics too much since he went to work for the Party of Regions afaik. If he's got dirt on politicians from 2012 on, he might be able to roll over on them. He may or may not have anything US prosecutors can do anything with regarding his Russian/Ukrainian work.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of superseding indictments come down. It's unlikely that he's got any chance of walking with Gates as a cooperating witness so a lot will probably depend on how much time he ends up facing.

There's a lot of other things shaping up right now, not least of which is what's going to happen with DACA.The economy could also take a turn. There could be a major terrorist attack which could be good or bad for Trump depending on how it's framed. There could be a domestic terrorist attack. More mass shootings. The turnover for this administration is historic and they're a regular factory for minor scandals (and scandals that would have been bigger under different circumstances). Things could heat up with NK again. There's natural disasters of course. Then there's man-made disasters like oil spills.

Then of course there's the other aspects of the Russian investigation (like if they indict people related to the hacking, that's almost certainly going to be bad for Trump), the IG report, whatever crap Nunes can come up with. I don't foresee any legal consequences, maybe a few more staffing changes in the DOJ/FBI, but it's good fodder for rhetoric/propaganda.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   

That's not surprising at all.
For one thing it historically happens that the congress looses some majority seats in the first midterms so he's speaking from experience and second well trump...In the real world he's not the rousing success he's heralded as on here.
Sorry to say.

No I'm not .

Or what Anti said above me. Lol.
Mine was the readers digest version. Lol
edit on 2192018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Why is Mitch McConnell essentially raising the White Flag of Surrender,

Yes why is he? He's supposed to stand his ground against the establishment right? Him, the GOP controlled Congress and the GOP controlled Whitehouse and the conservative majority judiciary. Stuff the establishment.

Wait..what?

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Unfortunately they won't gain enough seats . They won't be the majority but they may have enough to sway some major decisions. Or stop some major mistakes.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Its ok the rep will be replaced by more of the same. It will be spelled dem instead of rep. More of the same insanity.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

In the Senate or the House? The Senate is already 51 Republicans to 47 Democrats, with 2 independents who vote Democratic. If Dems gain a single seat, it'll be 50-50 with Republicans holding the tiebreaking vote (the Vice President). But if Dems gain 2 seats, they'll control the Senate outright. I think that's easily doable, even though I think more Democratic-held Senate seats are up for reelection than Republican (not sure on this one).

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
My gut reaction is that he is a useless tool that doesn't like being asked to actually work.

But as mentioned it is pretty normal to lose some seats at midterms.

Really wish this guy would retire, cannot stand him.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Damn right, people are sick and tired of the GOP...The liar and chief wont have much pull anymore either. He can endorse whoever he wants, people are sick of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
MITCH McCONNELL Predicts That The HOUSE and SENATE will LOSE Republican Seats in November.

That will be a neat trick considering the Democrats have absolutely NOT A DAMN THING to run on.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sure they do... emotion and never trump, if they have to articulate actual things they stand for then they are hosed.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

They probably won't gain in the Senate. They surely will in the house. They're a bit closer to the people and up for re-election every two years.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Your gut reaction sure doesn't jive with his career or popularity.
Since he's been there since 1985.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I am certain the people of his district like him, he is pretty good at playing the game and getting goodies for his people.

Other than that he is an example of everything wrong with congress, just like Reid was, and Pelosi is, and Ryan is, years in office and completely out of touch with regular people.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

You don't think they'll gain 1 or 2 seats in the Senate this year? They just won that US Senate seat from Alabama, even though Republicans had won it in 2014 with a whopping 97% of the vote. There's even a good chance that Corker's seat will flip to the Democrats since the most favored Dem & Repub candidates are running a virtual tie right now.

<<   2  3 >>

join