It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey launches Chemical Gas Attack on Syrian Kurds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The news out of Syria being reported in Russian and Western media is that Turkey has launched a chemical gas attack on the Kurds in Syria.

Time to kick Turkey out of NATO and slap them with the harshest sanctions in the history of sanctions.

From Reuters

Turkish army hit village in Syria's Afrin with suspected gas: Kurdish YPG, Observatory

Reuters Staff

2 Min Read

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian Kurdish forces and a monitoring group said the Turkish military carried out a suspected gas attack that wounded six people in Syria’s Afrin region on Friday.
Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army fighter stands on rubble in Northern Afrin countryside, Syria, February 16, 2018. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

There was no immediate comment from the Turkish military, which has previously denied accusations of hitting civilians in its Afrin operation.

Birusk Hasaka, a spokesman for the Kurdish YPG militia in Afrin, told Reuters that Turkish bombardment hit a village in the northwest of the region, near the Turkish border. He said it caused six people to suffer breathing problems and other symptoms indicative of a gas attack.

www.reuters.com... ry-idUSKCN1G02JE

From RT

Turkey hits Kurds with toxic gas, 6 civilians injured – reports

"Six people have been admitted with symptoms of suffocation as a result of the use of projectiles with poisonous gas by the Turkish regime in the town of Aranda," SANA quotes the hospital's director, Joan Mohammed. Medics are working to determine the type of gas used, Mohammed said.

— MOHAMMED HASSAN (@MHJournalist) February 16, 2018

Local journalist Mohammed Hassan tweeted pictures of patients, who were purported to be victims of the attack, wearing breathing masks.

The hospital director said four of the victims were stable and two were in critical condition.

YPG spokesman Birusk Hasaka confirmed to Reuters that Kurds came under what appears to be a chemical attack during Turkey’s offensive on a village, saying that the symptoms of the six people affected are consistent with exposure to a gas poisoning.

Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch on January 20 with a stated goal of securing its borders against Kurdish militias, which they have declared terrorist organizations. Turkish forces entered the northwestern Syrian region, centered around the city of Afrin, and have been "liberating" village after village with deadly force. They are being supported by the anti-Damascus militias from the Free Syrian Army.

Turkey's aggression has caused some animosity with its NATO allies. Top French officials have warned Ankara against "adding war to war" in Syria, and Germany suspended decisions on new weapon supplies to Turkey.

The biggest divide is with the US, whose troops in the Syrian city of Manbij, a mere 100km from Afrin, are supporting the Syrian Defense Force (SDF), another militia whose backbone is formed by Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG). The YPG are one of the primary targets for Turkey, which has threatened to move on Manbij after it's done in Afrin.

www.rt.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I wonder what the gas was? This will probably get buried by the media here.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

Sounds similar to the genocide that Sadaam Hussein (Iraq) was carrying out against the Kurds in northern Iraq. Why are the Kurds so hated?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
When the European powers were carving up the Middle East and giving out countries, the Kurds missed out. They were promised a homeland, but got betrayed.

There's over 20-30 million Kurds spread across a specific region that spans from Turkey, Iraq, Syria and Iran.

If the world powers create a Kurdistan today, in the future it will be a problem for future generations, and something they can exploit.

a reply to: carewemust

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Thank-you for that information. I'll do a little research to find out why they attract attacks. They're a peaceful people who don't deserve such mistreatment. I really hate some aspects of humankind.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. The pain and suffering must be beyond imagining.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

& it's a damn shame how badly the US has deserted them considering the decades they have been reliable partners in conflicts over there.

There needs to be a free & independent Kurdistan, north Iraq doesn't count.

Re- Turkey, Erdogan needs to go, another despot in politicians clothing.

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well, depending on whose in office and willing to do anything about it, this is likely a violation of the NATO Accord.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

it irks me to no end every single time for the last 20 years we ask them for help they show up like a beaten dog wagging their tails hoping this time it will be different and we screw them over every time.erogan needs to go or we should kick the turks out of nato those genocidal bastards,they will face much more resistance then they got from the Armenians in the kurds

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Imagine that. We throw the Kurds under the bus - again - and they get gassed - again.

What's that line about fools and history?

Six wounded seems weird though. If you're gonna break the rules, why not really break the rules? Kind of odd, in my opinion. I am pretty tired, though. Could be a tinge of paranoia.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, have we stopped arming the Kurds yet? I know we were supposed to.

What a mess.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Yes a damn shame how badly American reputation & respect has been tarnished over the years by bad actors.

& considering the current briar patch this country drunkenly fell into last year I don't envision any near term fixes.

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This is like a bad soap opera plot...

Are people really that stupid that the dots are not being connected???, the war by Proxy failed if you want to know who had a vested interest in Syria falling look at the current aggressors.

They are being brazen and blatant about the BS now, honestly I expect to see a flying pig in a superman outfit before I hear of "real" sanctions being placed on Turkey, and as for Nato that is a job for the boys if ever I saw one..

RA

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
No more turkey for Thankstaking.
That should kick a big enough dent in the economy to get Dirtytowns attention.
The Kurds have been abused too much.
Give those people their space.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
As an American, I can't think of a truer, loyal, and tough to the bone group we've worked with in the ME compared to the Kurds.

We can say Isreal, but honestly, I don't fully consider them true allies (as so many of our politicians hold dual citizenship and actually work for Isreal government), allies should work together for common goals, not for one of the parties because of political influence (and I'm purposefully ignoring the USS Liberty incident).

I know what we do for Isreal, but what do they do for us? True they are one example of a functioning democracy in the ME, they are a major military state in the area with a proven record, and we can work with closely for intelligence/military actions. But at least, in my opinion, it seems Isreal is the nation picking the fights, asking for the aggression... at least 90% of the time. Times may have been different in the days of the 6 days/Yom Kippur wars, but looking over the last 15 years... They sure seem the aggressors to me. Other countries in the ME may make many threats to Isreal, but none of them are realistically attempt any major aggression.

We as a country need to evaluate if Nato is required in this day/age, regardless if it is or is not, we also need to reevaluate our "friends" and "trusted partners".

The Kurds have proven to be this multiple times in the past fighting beside us, and it makes me sick to turn our backs, go back on our whispered promises, and let them be killed again. I can't vouch for the YPG or their tactics (from what I have heard they very well could be considered terrorist, but I'll freely admit to not having in-depth knowledge of their group). Other than the YPG, Kurds have proven their worth time and time again.

We should have given them a portion of Iraq after it imploded during the ISIS invasion (or after removing Sadam). We should ensure they get a partial state in Syria if that's their wish. I don't know the right or fair answer, but I do know we need to do something.

Name one group who has effectively fought ISIS from the first days they drove across the border into Iraq (while the Iraqi army ran as fast as they could) and continue fighting this moment in Syria? Russia has been effective in their efforts but did not commit until Syria was deteriorating quickly.

I have yet to hear of any major atrocities committed by Kurdish controlled areas (at least to civilians).

I wish our country (USA) would stop playing backroom politics, and start standing for the values we preach. We need to find a way to get our politicians working for the people (Dem's/Republican's both) and not for the corporations, donors, lobbyists, and Military Industrial Complex. I love America, but see what I grew up believing in decaying into something completely different more and more each day. Wish there was a way to hold an intervention for this country before it ends up in the streets.

Sorry for the long drunken rant, sleep well all.

~Winter

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao

Imagine that. We throw the Kurds under the bus - again - and they get gassed - again.

Six wounded seems weird though. If you're gonna break the rules, why not really break the rules? Kind of odd, in my opinion. I am pretty tired, though. Could be a tinge of paranoia.

Yes, that part of the report dumbfounded me as well. Information seems very sketchy and it seems Reuters has now removed the story.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think the deal Tillerson reached was the US would limit weapon shipments to the YPG, not completely stop arming them. It was only agreed to a day or two ago.

a reply to: Bone75

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao

Yes, that part of the report dumbfounded me as well. Information seems very sketchy and it seems Reuters has now removed the story.

No, Reuters still has the story up.

www.reuters.com... ry-idUSKCN1G02JE

Not sure why the original link in the OP isn't working, but there you go, the Reuters source ..

edit on 17-2-2018 by mortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I cannot for the life of me, understand why you guys always take these reports on their face value. The Russians have shown time and time again, that many of these reports are false ... alas.

Que bono

Who benefits ... this is a question one must ask, not look at who "cried wolf".

Bellum est bellum ... bellum se ipsum alet

People who fight a war, do so in every way they can ... the principle applies. You either fight the war, with everything you have ... if you aren't willing to do that. You SHOULD NOT FIGHT A WAR. As anything less, is an act of crime ... you're just a crook, trying to rob a bank ... or trying to kill your rival.

This principle, should be hammered into every country on this planet. If the situation is not so "damning" to you, that you are willing to bellum omnium contra omnes, then don't fight a war. Going to a war, is "an all in" game. You either lose everything, or you win everything.

The game, that has been played by Europe, and the United States ... should be treated by all, as an act of crime. Russia, took the right stand at Aleppo. And has backed out since ... Europe and the US have been conducting a 30+ year war in the middle east ... and I ask

Que bono

Are we better off?

Is the middle east better off ... has the life of citizens in the middle east improved, since 1993? I don't blame the 1990, as Schwarzkopf also took the right stand.

The people who started the entire war scenario ... post 1993, should be tried and brought to justice for crimes against the Human race. Conducting an almost endless war, and put forward ius ad bellum ... are responsible for what has been reaped from this war.

This said, has it ever occurred to you that maybe Assad's army did this ... for the purpose of "blaming" Turks. The YPG is a likely candidate for the same reason.

In a war, all parties are equally to blame for what occurs in it ...

edit on 17/2/2018 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

I don't see the AA doing this attack (though not saying they haven't conducted some of the chlorine attacks they've been accused of. I just don't see a benefit for the Syrian AA in this specific situation (as Turkey has promised to turn their gains to the Assad government as soon as it's cleared for YPG/Kurds (also the main reason the AA hasn't become involved in that area. There has to be an agreement, even if under the table, between Assad, Russia, and Turkey on this incursion).

The thought of the Kurds committing this did cross my mind. It's obvious what they have to gain. Honestly, I am hoping this isn't what happened as I personally like the Kurds (or the ones I have any real knowledge of) more than Turkey any day. I hope it's fairly investigated by both US and partners as well as Russia. I also hope all findings point right at Turkey.

This would give us an excuse to remove them from Nato and enforce a safe area for the Kurds (again, I need more true information on the YPG to know what values their group really has. If they truly are terrorist I don't support them, but most of the information I have on them is pure propaganda).

Best wishes
~Winter

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join