It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wont being going to the cinema anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This is because in Hong Kong new movies are released on VCD 3-4 months after it comes out in the cinema,plus it only costs me $7(HKD) to rent a movie on VDC where as it would cost me $60 HKD at the cinema.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I rarely go anymore. It is not so much the cinima itself, but rather the quality of humans that I have to tolerate. If you came to the theater then is not watching the movie your purpose for coming? How did it suddenly switch to let's gab loudly about every little thing in our lives. Talk to your friend when you are not risking getting my tanker boot in your face. My gf has actually had to hang on to me from getting up at times.

The price is an anoyance as well. It costs about $13 matinee and $18 evening for the two of us to go. I can buy it on DVD for $14.

PS Should we move this to the Rant section because I am restraining myself at best. :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I rarely go anymore. It is not so much the cinima itself, but rather the quality of humans that I have to tolerate. If you came to the theater then is not watching the movie your purpose for coming? How did it suddenly switch to let's gab loudly about every little thing in our lives. Talk to your friend when you are not risking getting my tanker boot in your face. My gf has actually had to hang on to me from getting up at times.

The price is an anoyance as well. It costs about $13 matinee and $18 evening for the two of us to go. I can buy it on DVD for $14.

PS Should we move this to the Rant section because I am restraining myself at best. :bnghd:

I can't argue with this. What I find really ironic is that just before the movie it says in big letters "SILENCE IS GOLDEN" and "PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE", then a minute later people are talking, babies are crying and cell phones are going off. It's all I can do to restrain myself.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The first time I went to see Lord of the Rings (fellowship) we were about 30min into the film when some girls behind us started texting their friends, I'm a fairly peaceful person, but my limits were tested to the edge.

Watch the bloody film

And at the end they said something along the lines of ''What a rip off we didn't find out what happened to the Ring''

some people

:shk:

[edit on 16-2-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
And at the end they said something along the lines of ''What a rip off we didn't find out what happened to the Ring''

LMAO! Wow...

I went to a movie the other day and was walking up the stairs looking for a seat...I look down and there's two people with a damn bucket of chicken and some hot sauce sitting there licking their fingers and smacking away....I about cracked up laughing....

Can't blame them though - I spent $12 at the concession stand buying popcorn and soda....I'm thinking it was perhaps MAYBE $1 cost out of their pockets and they're going to charge me that much over cost?!?!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
The first time I went to see Lord of the Rings (fellowship) we were about 30min into the film when some girls behind us started texting their friends, I'm a fairly peaceful person, but my limits were tested to the edge.

Watch the bloody film

some people

:shk:

[edit on 16-2-2005 by UK Wizard]

I tell you what Wizard, I think a good marketing ploy for a new chain of theaters would be to crack down on these morons and throw them out after a warning. Have an usher in every theater especially for that reason. I think people might even pay a little more to go to a theater like this, I know I would. All the yappers and parents with babies can get their arse over to the Magic Johnson jerkoff theaters and wallow in their own misery.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I rarely if ever go to the theaters. It's just that I have to deal with all of the other people, and I hate when people start talking during a movie. I recently saw White Noise (which was crap, even though I protested and said we should see something else...) with my friends and my one friend and his girlfriend where talking a lot (while I slept) and a woman in front of us told them to shut up. Five minutes later....her cell goes off.

Plus you spend about 20 bucks just on yourself, its about 7 to get it and around 10 or 13 bucks for popcorn, candy, and a drink.

That's why I just rent all my movies.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
it only costs me $7(HKD) to rent a movie on VDC where as it would cost me $60 HKD at the cinema.

You should be able to BUY the VCD for less than the cost of renting it... what's happened to the markets, LOL.

Nothing beats a good 5.1 Digital Dolby cinema experience with plush seats and bar service. No home theatre will replicate that.

BYO snacks?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Nothing beats a good 5.1 Digital Dolby cinema experience with plush seats and bar service. No home theatre will replicate that.

You sure??

Not even when you have revoltingly rich friends with their OWN theatre....

When we watch a movie in there, if ANYONE even WHISPERS, apart from just joking around, we'll just stop the movie and kick them out....That's power

Edit: Bad url....Oh well....Picture a room with stadium seating couches, a projection screen, and speakers that cost more than my house, each...lol

[edit on 2/16/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

You sure??

Yep, sure.

Spend what you will on a home theatre for your mansion or superyacht, spend US$2 million on your cinema quality projector and retracting screen and curtains and lighting and top end DVD player and 7.1 or 9.1 DTS amps and 1000W+ in wall and in ceiling speakers and four subs, and gold cables and all - and it still won't stack up.

There are cinemas and cinemas. A good home theatre may give you a more convenient experience than your local adolescent-infested multiplex, but Crocodile Dundee's most cliched line would apply here.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Me and my wife go to either the Matinées or to the 2$ movies. If you go to the Matinees you can get in for 5$ and almost no one but other old couples are there.

We can see the new movies, popcorn and all for under 20$ and she still has time to shop at the mall and us hit the Buffet at the Steak house on the way home.

Steaks and movies for under 40$

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Yep, sure.

You know...when I think about it, you're right....But only b/c I didn't think about all the good things that come out of watching a movie with a huge audience - The sounds everyone makes in unison are often something I incorporate in my memory of the first time I see a movie...

I certainly won't forget the audience’s reaction to The Passion....or waiting over 6 hours in line for the first showing of Star Wars I and II and the huge roar of applause when the film began.....

But every viewing of a movie thereafter....definitely better at home, or mooching on a friend's luxury setup, like the one below (fixed the link - just had to share this beauty)....There's only a select few movies I'll go to the theatres and see more than once....

[edit on 2/16/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Woah didnt know this thread would be a hit in aday!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Isn't it always a pleasant surprise to come back to a thread you started earlier and see that other people actually conversed on it....

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Isn't it always a pleasant surprise to come back to a thread you started earlier and see that other people actually conversed on it....

It certainly is a pleasant surprise

som1 mentioned earlier that this should be moved to Rant forum but my origanl post wasnt actually a rant, just my opinion.

top topics

join