It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek Discovery

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was excited to see Michelle Yeoh as captain, then they (spoiler alert) kill her off in the first episode! I watched the following episodes, but wasn't overly thrilled with them. If they had kept Yeoh alive the series would have been 237% better.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

If you like her then here is a hint: You should keep watching.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The shows to heavy on the social commentary for me.
Especially so when I'm expected to pay to see it.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm loving it, can't wait for the next installment, yes it's not anything like any of the franchise, it out right killed ppl you thought was gonna have long life aboard, brought the dead back to prominence in a surprising manner, it shake up the prime directive in a way Kirk never could, in other words they are more like us when under extreme pressure.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: neo96

The two guys kissing didn't bother me. In fact I thought the love shared between those two was played out in a genuine way. I felt really bad for paul when his husband died.

The klingon trapped in a human body does bother me though. I hope micheal ends up having to kill him at some point.
If your a fan of all forms of star trek you will understand why the writers added that story line. They are trying to answer a question that no one really ever asked. lol It has to do with why the klingons on the original series looked human but in all other forms they have face ridges.

Haven't seen it but this was more than enough information to keep me from doing so. I can deal with a little "gayness" in a show but that description sounda like it's over the top. Progressive Star Trek?

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I was excited to see Michelle Yeoh as captain, then they (spoiler alert) kill her off in the first episode! I watched the following episodes, but wasn't overly thrilled with them. If they had kept Yeoh alive the series would have been 237% better.

She is the ONLY reason I can tolerate this show.

And Tilly. She got off the very first f-bomb in ST history. Leave it to a nerd. I like Tilly.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: neo96

The two guys kissing didn't bother me. In fact I thought the love shared between those two was played out in a genuine way. I felt really bad for paul when his husband died.

The klingon trapped in a human body does bother me though. I hope micheal ends up having to kill him at some point.
If your a fan of all forms of star trek you will understand why the writers added that story line. They are trying to answer a question that no one really ever asked. lol It has to do with why the klingons on the original series looked human but in all other forms they have face ridges.

That was fully explained in Enterprise.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-2-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Progressive Star Trek?

Star trek has always been progressive. First show to have an on screen mix race kiss.
The earth on this show is a liberal-progressive utopia and it always has been.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I refuse to acknowledge anything that happened in enterprise.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

A flaming bag of dog snip is more enjoyable to watch than two guys making out and a show that has a Klingon trapped in an earthlings body.

What a broken record argument that one is. That's about on par with what people said back in the 90's when DS9 had 2 Trill chicks swap spit.

I don't give a rat's ass about the "gayness" of Paul & Hugh, they're pretty realistic in their own right. Hugh in particular I adore (he better come back somehow) because if his gentleness. In real-life medical professions, folks like him are there, but not really the lion's share of medical professionals. The way he interacts with people -- infirmary or not -- is patient, caring, and reassuring, almost to a fault (ok, to a fault, it got him killed)

I love dorky Tilly, she's pretty adorable, endearing & relatable through & through. All the mannerisms of a socially awkward person is the epitome of being a self-conscious Human, IMO.

Although I like Saru more and more each episode. I'm comfortable with saying he's becoming my favorite character. It's nice to see the poor guy grow a backbone & seeing the "wild animal" skittishness slowly melt away. He's turning out to be an epic character, and I have to hand it to Doug Jones -- he's portraying him phenomenally in a way no one else possibly could.

Now. I have a season finale to go watch before it's spoilered to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Whole show based on flash backs to give a character, some character. Why she chose do the thing she did based off something in her past. Someone shooting at you, you shoot back. locked in a room you escape. but no we get the whole mental aspect. Thought that Michele was a good casting move. But killed her off. Only way she's back ,if we get more flash backs or from another verse. Its definitely based towards women thinking.
Bummer about Dark Matter thought it was a good knock off of Fire Fly

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Yeah. But she did come back.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Been a Trekkie since I was a little kid and the original series had been off the air for just a few years.

STD is a lot different than any of it's predecessors. My advice for those that can't stand it (because they are stuck in the "TNG was the only one worth watching!" mode), watch "The Orville" instead. You guys won't be disappointed.

STD's visuals are stunning. The SFX in the show, including the sets are outstanding. I don't mind the story too much as it's interesting to see events in the Federation's history that was never really touched on or covered by any other show, except with a passing mention. So STD gives us how the war between the Klingon Empire and the Federation started and what happened.

There are a few problems I do have with the show though:

1) They changed the Klingon's appearance....again. There was nothing wrong with how they looked from TNG on, and they should have left that alone.

2) Michael's name. It's a distractor. Everyone someone on screen calls her Michael, it distracts me (and I'm pretty sure a lot of people). Have no idea what the writers for the show were trying to do here. Show us that in the 23rd century, gender based names don't mater? Who cares. What you want is a show that runs smoothly.....without distractors that really don't mean anything.

3) Story Arcing. Most of the previous shows the formula was: A set of main characters - An adventure happens - Adventure ends and they go on their way. Sometimes an adventure might last two episodes, but that's it. STD decided to make the entire season one big story arc....and they decided that the main protagonist was not the ship's captain (the show is called Star Trek: DISCOVERY), but instead is Michael.

4) Using BSG Edginess: As many scifi fans know, Battlestar Galactica remake was very edgy and dark. They had no hesitation of killing off main characters. Looks like STD decided to do the same thing. SPOILER ALERT: Killing off the ship's doctor....killing off the ship's captain, hell, apparently he wasn't even the REAL Lorca, but Lorca from the Mirror Mirror universe.

I just watched the season fanale last night. The war is over. Michael is reinstated as a Starfleet officer, is now the science officer for Discovery. Saru is the acting captain, Tilly is now an ensign, and they are taking Sarek to Vulcan, when they receive a distress call and drop out of warp (no more spore drive btw), and meet with NCC-1701 USS Enterprise...Captain Pike in command. Go to black. Roll credits.

Okay, I guess we'll see what happens next season......another season long story arc?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

To be fair, sounds like Dark Matter ripped off Star Trek first....i.e. Voyager.
That's basically what happened there...Voyager's drive was new, and took them clear across the galaxy, before they figured it out.

I'll give it a shot though, I'm sure. Just don't have a lot of time to watch TV these days, sadly.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm just going to point this out, and leave if for others to think about/track down if they wish.

On the Star Trek reddit in some of thethreads discussing the finale, it was pointed out that several eagle-eyed folks swear they saw Lorca somewhere in a crowd on Qo'noS.

I haven't rewatched it yet to see for myself, but that was indeed the case, I'm wondering if it's a big, fat hint at something, or just a bit of a nod toward him.

Also, just a little thing I noticed & was happy to be surprised with -- the tent near to Tyler/Voq & Burnham talking at the end had the Romulan Star Empire emblem on it. Look closely if you rewatch, I about popped my eyeballs out of my head when I noticed it

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The shows to heavy on the social commentary for me.

Is the social commentary that all the characters are a bit unhinged, never follow orders and always win.

While Star Trek is good for a laugh, I think it's a bit boring this one. A bit too far fetched.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I really like the show and I'm happy it's different from all the Trek that came before.

I wish they would have played out the Mirror Universe storyline longer and hadn't ended the Klingon War storyline so quickly.

The end of the final episode was nice but a bit concerning at the same time.

I'm fully on board for season 2!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Noticed something about Saru, he ain't scared of evil Giorgio , threw shade at her when she tried to punk him, Ah was like.. way to kept them ganaglias in check, BTW kinda racist him being past over when he seems quite capable of running a ship.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Have yet to see it, though I'm at least interested.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I tried to watch the new season.

Just find the story and the acting to be like finger nails on a chalk board.

Give me Ds9 or Voyager over this crap any day.

<< 1    3 >>

join