It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Falcon Heavy: The Landing with 2 Sonic Booms. Simply awesome.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

And you know this because you're prescient right? SpaceX has a lot more to lose from accidents than NASA ever did. And which part of "they're operating under NASA standards" did you skip over? So NASA still has the final say in if they fly people or not.

edit on 2/8/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I don’t need to be a psychic to see the nose on my face.

Do you not understand the significance of the “reschedule” last year?
Not yesterday. Not last week. Last year.
A delay of this length is colossal....I don’t know if “colossal”is appropriately descriptive for such a change...

We sent and returned men to the moon in 1969...
I could give a hoot about a car with a mannequin...
We went to the moon...I don’t need a PT Barnumesque stunt...
Von Braun’s NASA sent a car that actually drove on the moon in the 70s...

How about they man-rate a rocket and we will talk when they send men to orbit [and back]...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Elon Musk doubters must feel really super cereal secure after everything which has been achieved by him

Gotta love the naysayers in the world. I love it even more when they dont even realize they should shut up ^
Space Tourism is coming faster than you think you know. Asteroid Mining too. Its gonna be lucrative. Worth the risk.
The total cost for the BFG is gonna make Saturn 9 look like a real expensive awesome nazi program that never really went anywhere but the Moon and back. Oh wait.

edit on 8-2-2018 by Jungian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jungian
....that never really went anywhere but the Moon and back.

Congratulations on the most idiotic statement in the history of ATS...
Considering entire forums exist debating whether or not the earth is flat you have really accomplished something...

“....never really went anywhere but the moon and back”
Jesus! that’s awesome[ly ignorant]...
Thanks for contributing.

-Chris

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Oh my god, you have to be kidding. They reschedule and it means they're going to become serial killers. NASA, which has done far worse, reschedules, and you don't even blink. Wow.

Yes, we went to the moon, which is utterly irrelevant to this discussion, unless you want to talk about NASA killing astronauts to do it. Something SpaceX is actively working to AVOID may I add, which is why they delayed from last year on the Dragon flight.

Funny that the NASA plan to go back to space relies almost entirely on those commercial companies that you're bagging on.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

I don’t need to be a psychic to see the nose on my face.

Do you not understand the significance of the “reschedule” last year?
Not yesterday. Not last week. Last year.
A delay of this length is colossal....I don’t know if “colossal”is appropriately descriptive for such a change...

We sent and returned men to the moon in 1969...
I could give a hoot about a car with a mannequin...
We went to the moon...I don’t need a PT Barnumesque stunt...
Von Braun’s NASA sent a car that actually drove on the moon in the 70s...

How about they man-rate a rocket and we will talk when they send men to orbit [and back]...

-Chris

I see this Falcon Heavy launch as a tribute to NASA. It was spectacular, with something thrown in for the public as well.
This is what science is really all about anyway, is it not? Your are able to build on the successful foundations of other inventors and developers, and produce a success that exceeds expectations and raises the bar again for the next gutsy genius that is going to change the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
The Space Shuttle blows this garbage away...

I can’t understand why spaceX is being so lauded for accomplishing nothing more than 1950s NASA.

We would be back on the moon in 2020 had the Constellation program not been cancelled...

Does anyone seriously believe Musk is anywhere near man-rating a rocket??

Give me a break...

Also, spaceX is being almost entirely subsidized by taxes..

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills watching people jump up and down over his rockets(which can’t carry astronauts)

-Chris

Um show me where Nasa once landed a rocket and reused it - Never happened.

Space X is not even 50% funded by taxes - the majority of their flights are paid for by companies launching satellites. What they have done is already cut our taxes significantly by reducing their launch fees by 2/3 over boeing. So they actually will save tax payers many billions. They are vastly superior at this point to anything Nasa had, and they have done it in a little over 10 years with a tiny fraction of the money nasa spent - even without considering inflation.

Yes, in about a year men will be onboard the space X dragon capsule. In about 4 years the BFR will be flying and it will be far the most impressive rocket every created, in terms of size, lifting capacity and efficiency.

You are dead wrong saying spaceX is overrated - they will have flights to Mars in a decade or less, and manned ones shortly thereafter.

edit on 8-2-2018 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

NASA is relying on SpaceX because we had a president who gutted it and gave the NASA chief a new mission:

Have u ever met an astronaut?
I play golf each week with one...
If u know one, ask them how they feel about NASA’s current state.

-Chris

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I know how they feel about the current NASA. That doesn't change the fact that NASA has completed almost everything they've ever done well behind schedule, and massively over budget. While private companies are using their own money and saving us money.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

NASA got a man to the moon before the end of the 60's. Wasn't that the target.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

NASA going to the moon was spectacular, but it was prioritized nationally and military wise far different than their other mission since then.

Remember we were in an arms race with Russia at the time and going to the moon was also a veiled threat to them. We could put men on the moon which also meant we could put tactical nukes on the moon aimed at them. Literally a base they could not reach. I still wonder if there isn't one already sitting up there.
edit on 8-2-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yes, the moon was a big deal. Years latter NASA did seem to slip.

Today, space flight is benefiting from the research NASA did. Not to mention the high tech level in in computing now.

Imagine using slide rules and IBM 360 computers.

Those early days were really quite amazing. Later it seems like management got screwed up.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

They didn't slip, but their funding and priorities were changed to fit national/bureaucratic interests.

Space station and shuttle to appease the people and satellite launches to appease the military. Research into other areas was funded with was left over.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Given the decision made on the Challenger launch, there was a management problem. I know there was pressure, but it was a mistake and poor decision.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

And did it with an essentially unlimited budget. And look at the problems they had.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And did it with an essentially unlimited budget. And look at the problems they had.

They were pioneering space. Reading history on the projects is pretty amazing. The computer platforms they used were almost nothing compared to today.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Of course they were, and problems were expected. But look at the Apollo CM. Just about everyone involved was doing everything short of jumping on desks trying to warn them that it was a disaster waiting to happen, and they went ahead anyway, to meet a political deadline.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Put on some headphones and check this out !

edit on 8-2-2018 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I wish the Falcon Heavy core rocket had landed and not crashed. That would have been a grand slam for Musk, but hey, 2 out 3 ain't bad...

Core Crashes 300 Yards From Drone Ship

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join