It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration continues some public business in spite of shutdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
www.cnn.com... [Trump admin seeking to keep national parks open during shutdown]

twitter.com...

Great to meet visitors at the WWII memorial today. Not all parks are fully open but we are all working hard to make as many areas as accessible to the public as possible.

twitter.com...

Ensuring our @NatlParkService parks are as accessible as possible. Wonderful to meet students from Illinois.

Anyone else hoping the Democrats continue obstructing for a few weeks/months? It'll really give the Trump admin a chance to shine, prevailing in spite of major Democrat interference and obstruction. America is watching, and it is clear the Trump admin had no desire for a shutdown. Fortunately, only the "non-essential" parts get shut down.

We get it Dems. Americans are deplorable, and illegals are dreamers. You hate America, the Constitution and our lawfully installed President.

Isn't this what we were looking at all along? A much less invasive government? A much smaller government?

A blessing in disguise, if you ask me! The military death benefits need to be addressed via EO though.
edit on 1/20/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
All of my deployed friends won't get a paycheck because Democrats care more about illegals.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I recall that Obama shut down the National Parks.

Party pooper he was.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Having watched what all is going on the following can be stated:

This is just a political game, and it was started long ago. What we are seeing is that the Republicans are in power, they control both houses of congress, and the White House. And as the Republicans are the majority in both houses of Congress, that means that they set the agenda for both houses, all of the bills and topics that can be brought to the floor. This is true in the House, where the minority party does not get too much of a say in what is and is not brought up, and it is rare that they get to put forth a bill. And in the Senate, the majority party sets the calendar and the rules along with the agenda on what they will hear and vote on. Though the minority has a bit more flexibility in that they can actually get bills to the floor, though the order is still determined by the majority party.

This is nothing new, before it was the Republicans that would shut down the government all on being the party of NO. So this door was opened up, and while it stinks, it is fair game for the other side to exploit and use that.

The reality is that both parties, are behaving badly and will do anything for political gain. And from where I sit, there are 2 problems in the government: Lobbyist, and career politicians who are there one term too long, who give themselves pay raises and perks while the rest of the country suffers, and who are at times hypocrits who seem to think that they have a special set of rules that exempt them from the laws that well have to follow.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Anyone else hoping the Democrats continue obstructing for a few weeks/months?

Obviously they hate old,poor people, and children!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

DACA was always illegal, and Obama knew it.

edit on 20-1-2018 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There goes the Obama Legacy right down the tubes.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
At least I can go to my local Army C.O.E. boat ramp and put my boat in the water. Last time all ACOE were gated and locked this also included Forestry service maintained areas. So other than the pisser that the military isn't getting paid (that is a pisser) keep it shutdown.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
only congress has the constitutional authority to make laws, if democrats in congress don`t like the current immigration laws they have the sole constitutional power to change those laws.

Holding the country hostage in an attempt to publicly blackmail their fellow congress members into changing the immigration laws isn`t go to work.

If they are unable to change the laws in a legal constitutional manner then they should resign.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The military will still get paid.

Only death benefits are affected.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

I believe that this more than just about one issue like DACA, but where it is political parties that are not wanting to get along, and are fighting against itself.

This is one branch of the government, where they keep breaching walls that are there to the point where now it has become we versus they along political lines. And as I stated before, both sides are equally guilty in this today.

This is more than about DACA, this is about a federal government that can not get anything done. Many of these issues that are being brought up are not about the budget directly, and funding things that are requiring federal money. At those programs that do, it is funny how they were allowed to expire and be defunded instead of being picked up and put on the agenda and refunded again. So now we have this small little budget glitch, where the ugly truth is that instead of actually passing and keeping things funded as they should be, they lump stuff together and then it is short term funding.

And ultimately this division is going to be hard on the country for years to come, and affect all of us, and some of which may not be what we either expect or will be totally caught off guard.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

I believe that this more than just about one issue like DACA, but where it is political parties that are not wanting to get along, and are fighting against itself.

Schumer said himself in 2013 they (Dems) would never do this. Now they
choose illegal's over the entire country of legal citizens.

I'd say that is fighting against their own country.

And ultimately this division is going to be hard on the country for years to come, and affect all of us, and some of which may not be what we either expect or will be totally caught off guard.

The division at play here is intentional, how can you not see this?

Democrats are choosing illegal's over Americans, simply put.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I suspect that this was already foreseen and one of the main reasons the shutdown was allowed to happen. We don't need a bloated, corpulent government to run a country. We need to simplify...and clearly, it can be done.

Yes. This is a good thing. Let their threats and fear mongering be shown for the bull# it actually is.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
There goes the Obama Legacy right down the tubes.

That's the plan.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships
a reply to: sdcigarpig

DACA was always illegal, and Obama knew it.

This says it all.

Obama is a hypocrite and so is every democrat who voted for illegals instead of Americans.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

This pay cycle, yes. It's already started and processed.

Not next pay cycle. They need to figure this out now.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Oh I know it is intentional, but here is the question that should be answered:

As the Republicans are in the majority in congress, and thus they get to set the agenda. That means every bill that goes through the House is from the Republicans. And in the Senate, the Republicans having the majority there, are the ones that set the list of the bills that are to be voted on.

Now with that in mind, why is Chip, the Children's Health Insurance Program, so important now? Or the funding for the military families and so forth, why now is it so important? After all most of those programs were defunded in September 30, 2017. Why was this funding not important back then, to where they get a bill that funds these programs for years, why did they wait until the last minute?

This is not just the faults of the Democrats, half of the blame has to lay in the laps of the Republicans, that knew these plans were running out of funds, the calendar dates are clearly marked. And if this was so important, then why did 4 Republican Senators also vote against this bill as well? Could it be that they are seeing that a CR, a Continuation Resolution Amendment is just really not the way and perhaps it should be more funding that goes for longer than a few months, when this will start up again?

The reality is that from all accounts, that there was a bipartisian bill that was introduced, favored by both the Republicans and the Democrats, that was put on the table. However the leaders of the Congress are not wanting to put it onto the floor, or move without the Presidents say so, who is not giving any clear indication on what all he is wanting. IN short the people in congress are playing politics with the people of this nation, to justify their actions. And thus both are guilty of this very action.

And many people tend to forget that the party who is in the minority tends to do this when they are wanting something voted on or removed, cause they do not like it, say remember the Party of NO, that shut down the government in 2013?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: abe froman

This pay cycle, yes. It's already started and processed.

Not next pay cycle. They need to figure this out now.

The military are about the only entity the government would pay serious attention to if they threatened to strike...just sayin....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Can't.

Went through one of these before. If you don't show up it's a violation of UCMJ. But yes, I agree, there would be a limit to how much they'd be willing to accept once eviction notices started going out.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
And if this was so important, then why did 4 Republican Senators also vote against this bill as well? Could it be that they are seeing that a CR, a Continuation Resolution Amendment is just really not the way and perhaps it should be more funding that goes for longer than a few months, when this will start up again?

First, the CR is not a Republican agenda. It is by way of the debt limits
an issue that will haunt the U.S. Forever.

Next, yes a few Republicans voted on conscience a NO vote.
Their constituents elected them to do,so, that is ethical.

The reality is that from all accounts, that there was a bipartisian bill that was introduced, favored by both the Republicans and the Democrats, that was put on the table. However the leaders of the Congress are not wanting to put it onto the floor, or move without the Presidents say so, who is not giving any clear indication on what all he is wanting.

Trump has been perfectly clear, he can not legalize DACA. In fact, neither could Obama.

The Dems have chosen to try and hang Trump with a leftover rope
Obama left lying around. I predict they will fail miserably.

There is a world of difference between the R's that voted no
in good faith and the D's that are acting in dishonesty.

I have much compassion for those who,will be affected by
this in a negative way.erhaps it is time that The D's try and
realize they are living on borrowed time at a lot of people's
expense. I hope it bites them so hard they give up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join