It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Arctic Deep Freeze

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Grrrrr !!

Just tried to start my car this morning and its dead... the battery is frozen bloody solid.

It's been around -35 celsius every day for the past week now, which is normally not that big of a deal, so long as you dress appropriately and keep your vehicle plugged in.

But I can't plug in my block heater cord to keep the battery warm because I broke the stupid plug end of it last week when I forgot to unplug it before pulling out of the garage. Normally my car is good for starting in cold weather, but not this time. No way, no how.

I was going to take the long 2-hour drive into the city today to pick up hubby's birthday present that I was planning on surprising him with.

But now that idea is shot to hell, I won't be going anywhere until hubby gets home from work in a few days... which means I have to tell him I broke my block heater cord and thus couldn't start my car... which will blow his birthday surprise because he knows the only time I ever use my vehicle is to take a trip into the city.

So yeah, I'm screwed.

.... and I'm going to be in the doghouse with my better half now too for breaking my damn block heater cord. Again.

.... which he'll have to fix for me. Again.

*sigh*

I.

HATE.

WINTER.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Grrrrr !!

Just tried to start my car this morning and its dead... the battery is frozen bloody solid.

It's been around -35 celsius every day for the past week now, which is normally not that big of a deal, so long as you dress appropriately and keep your vehicle plugged in.

But I can't plug in my block heater cord to keep the battery warm because I broke the stupid plug end of it last week when I forgot to unplug it before pulling out of the garage. Normally my car is good for starting in cold weather, but not this time. No way, no how.

I was going to take the long 2-hour drive into the city today to pick up hubby's birthday present that I was planning on surprising him with.

But now that idea is shot to hell, I won't be going anywhere until hubby gets home from work in a few days... which means I have to tell him I broke my block heater cord and thus couldn't start my car... which will blow his birthday surprise because he knows the only time I ever use my vehicle is to take a trip into the city.

So yeah, I'm screwed.

.... and I'm going to be in the doghouse with my better half now too for breaking my damn block heater cord. Again.

.... which he'll have to fix for me. Again.

*sigh*

I.

HATE.

WINTER.

Call Uber. Get his present and the part to fix the block heater and don't tell him.....unless you like being screwed....

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I feel your pain. I'm just south of Canada and it's been cold as hell here too. The wife and I were all excited to see on this coming Saturday it might get to +20° f. It's been -20°f for 2 weeks here.

I know your block heater plug is broke, but there is another way to warm your engine.
If you have a chicken brooding lamp( the light with clamp thingy ) plug that in and aim it directly at your water pump(usually center of engine).
It's cheap and you would be suprised how well it works in a pinch.
Just keep the hood closed so you don't lose the ambient heat to help your battery warm a bit too.

Sorry to hear about your plight hope it works out ok for you.
Fingers crossed and warm thoughts to you!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Order one with overnight shipping? Delivered tomorrow?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

The second the holidays are over I'm ready for spring. This winter is the worst, it started to early. The past few years we've had mild Decembers and got spoiled. It is so darn cold my sons tires froze to the driveway. It is funny hearing the people in the south cry about 20 degrees! I can't wait for 20 degrees so I can go for a walk outside and enjoy the warmth!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Tell me about it! It has actually gotten below 50 degrees F here in Florida, and it will probably drop into the thirties through the weekend. How am I supposed to go for a stroll on the beach now?

LOL, umm, I guess I cannot really relate other than my hate of the cold.

What a shame, we just went for a stroll on the beach the other day. No swimming, but it was quite pleasant. It did snow mildly in Tallahassee though.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Heh.

No such thing as uber in the rural countryside... and getting a tow truck out here to give me a simple 2 minute boost would cost a fortune since the nearest one is an hour away.

I could probably watch a few youtube videos on how to replace the plug end, no doubt we have a few industrial plug ends with the screw type connectors kicking around in the garage toolbox somewhere.

But knowing my electrical skills (read: zero) I'd probably fry my battery AND block heater connecting the wires in reverse or some stupid thing.

Tis the doghouse for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I was going to start a similar thread entitled "God bless the parka."
Yup, it's frikin cold.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I lived in florida for a while and man you guys are pretty wimpy when it comes to cold. It was only there I saw grown men wearing blankets outside when it was 40 degrees!!! I do feel bad for the kids that aren't used to any cold and don't have jackets though!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
the app "Favor" is your friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
dude, I got two different long sleeves and a Mossy Oak hunters jacket. We are tropical folks, we don't like it cold at all.
Its 48 degrees F outside right now, and raining. People are going to die man!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Love the heat lamp idea, which could actually work if I could warm up the battery... but we don't have one.

It's tempting to grab the blow dryer and stand there for 2 hours trying to warm up my battery with hot air, LOL !

Doubt that would be enough heat though.

*grumble grumble*

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I love the cold, I always thought a hard winter kills off the bugs and all the crap that makes everyone sick.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Made just for you.

I expect great things.

* Please use black electrical tape
edit on 3-1-2018 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Disconnect the battery and bring it in the house to warm up!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

a reply to: Hewhowaits

Love the heat lamp idea, which could actually work if I could warm up the battery... but we don't have one.

It's tempting to grab the blow dryer and stand there for 2 hours trying to warm up my battery with hot air, LOL !

Doubt that would be enough heat though.

*grumble grumble*

Heating pad?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Made just for you.

I expect great things.

Also a tempting proposition !

And thanks for the colour coded crayola drawing on how to splice wires together.

Red to red, black to black...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Made just for you.

I expect great things.

Also a tempting proposition !

And thanks for the colour coded crayola drawing on how to splice wires together.

Red to red, black to black...

Crayola Diagrams are my specialty

Anything else and I would be lost.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

If you’ve got a car battery charger you could try hooking that up as the process of charging generates a little heat- won’t work if frozen solid though.

Only other thought is an old electric blanket and wrap that round- either that or go steal a neighbours

Note - obviously a working electric blanket and not one that’s shorting and sparking everywhere (that would be bad)

edit on 3-1-2018 by DrBobH because: Safety

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

What are people made of today ?

Did you ever hear Scott Of The Antarctic moaning about the cold. Travelling 1,600 miles in -40F for 4 months.

Get a grip woman.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join